News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Tulsa, Oklahoma bridgehunt

Started by bugo, November 11, 2014, 01:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I am a member of a Facebook group called "Old Bridges". I saw the name and joined it, hoping to see some neat old bridges and post a few of my own. Turns out that several of the members are from the Tulsa area. I don't even have a ballpark figure when this meet will happen, as long as it's before snake season next spring. Note: This meet will center around bridges, so there won't be as many road-related destinations but there will still be plenty to see roadwise. We would explore several trusses north of Tulsa and probably the twin 19 span pony truss bridges at Jenks and Bixby over the Arkansas River.

brianreynolds

Snake season???  Tell me more.

hbelkins

Quote from: brianreynolds on November 13, 2014, 08:52:33 AM

First extended warm spell to first frost, at least in Kentucky.

This past spring, when it warmed up to being consistently in the 50s or higher, quite a few copperheads were spotted and slain in my area.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bugo

Those months of the years that those horrible slithery things with no arms and no legs crawl out of the earth. Unfortunately, they seem to hang around water, and bridges usually cross water, so I avoid taking pictures in the late spring/summer/early fall.

oscar

Quote from: bugo on November 14, 2014, 01:22:58 AM

Those months of the years that those horrible slithery things with no arms and no legs crawl out of the earth. Unfortunately, they seem to hang around water, and bridges usually cross water, so I avoid taking pictures in the late spring/summer/early fall.

Sounds like you need to go to Alaska and/or Hawaii.  In Alaska, the winters are too cold for snakes to survive.  In Hawaii, snakes are against the law, and hunted down and killed in the rare instances where they sneak in from out of state.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

cjk374

Any critter with less than 2 legs or more than 4 MUST DIE on sight!!   :nod:  :)
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

SSOWorld

Quote from: oscar on November 14, 2014, 02:31:25 PM

Sounds like you need to go to Alaska and/or Hawaii.  In Alaska, the winters are too cold for snakes to survive.  In Hawaii, snakes are against the law, and hunted down and killed in the rare instances where they sneak in from out of state.
Clarification - snakes as pets...
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

oscar

Quote from: SSOWorld on November 16, 2014, 12:26:42 PM
Quote from: oscar on November 14, 2014, 02:31:25 PM
Clarification - snakes as pets...

They're illegal in Hawaii too.  All pets have to be declared on arrival (one of many things covered in the declaration form given to all passengers to fill out on their way to Hawaii), and pet snakes won't make it past quarantine.

Even permissible pet importations into Hawaii, such as dogs and cats, have to go through quarantine or other procedures to keep Hawaii rabies-free (only state with that status), unless they're arriving from a rabies-free island jurisdiction like the U.K.

AFAIK, Alaska doesn't have such restrictions on pet snakes, probably counting on cold winters and local predators like eagles and hawks to keep snakes from establishing themselves in the wild. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Alps

Quote from: cjk374 on November 16, 2014, 10:30:14 AM

Any critter with less than 2 legs or more than 4 MUST DIE on sight!!   :nod:  :)
RIP Randy Hersch

agentsteel53

I now know what to get Jeremy as a Christmas present if we ever decide to feud.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 10, 2014, 02:03:02 PM

Yep.  Titanoboa.  Sounds like it might make a great pet for him.  :rofl:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on December 10, 2014, 04:00:45 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 10, 2014, 02:03:02 PM

Yep.  Titanoboa.  Sounds like it might make a great pet for him.  :rofl:
I think you'll find one underlying a majority of California.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.