News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-75 widening Toledo to Findlay / OH 15 Interchange

Started by Buck87, December 12, 2014, 12:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

A project to widen the 32 mile section from OH 199 in Perrysburg to Hancock CR 99 just north of Findlay has already begun, projected to be done in 2016: http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2014/06/18/Construction-begins-to-widen-I-75-from-Perrysburg-to-Findlay-copy.html

Another 5 mile section is proposed for the remaining stretch through Findlay itself, which includes redoing the OH 15/US 68 interchange with I-75. The interchange currently has Toeldo to Columbus traffic using a loop ramp to get from 75 to 15. Two of the three options for the new interchange would replace that with a flyover, the other would keep a loop there but increase the deceleration lane. All 3 options also involve new ramps to greatly improve access to/from nearby Lima Ave. http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D01/PlanningPrograms/Projects/hancock75/Pages/default.aspx

And on the topic of widening I-75 in Ohio, here's an article about why the big rebuilding project currently going on in Lima does NOT include a 3rd lane being added: http://www.limaohio.com/news/opinion_columns/922637/Jim-Krumel:-I-75-project-shy-of-complete-package 

tdindy88

Now if only can reroute US 23 all the way up to Findlay and up I-75 to I-475 and onto its present route west of Toledo.

skluth

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 12, 2014, 12:45:07 PM
Now if only can reroute US 23 all the way up to Findlay and up I-75 to I-475 and onto its present route west of Toledo.

Honestly, I'd be happy if Ohio just connected US 30 and I-75 directly.

NE2

Quote from: skluth on December 13, 2014, 01:16:03 AM
Why? Do you often go through there and have problems with the current layout?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

skluth

Quote from: NE2 on December 13, 2014, 02:17:24 AM
Quote from: skluth on December 13, 2014, 01:16:03 AM
Why? Do you often go through there and have problems with the current layout?
I was traveling cross-country back in the 80's and needed to get from 30 to 75. It was pretty easy as opposed to the idiocy of Breezewood. But considering US 30 is a freeway at that point, it would make sense to complete it. I haven't gone that way since then.

Buck87

I typically go through there 1-3 times per year, and I don't find it all that bad. I actually kind of like it when going from 30 west to 75 south, since the brief Lincoln Highway stretch acts as a buffer zone between the easy lulling feel of cruising down 30 and the more tense feel on a much more crowded 75. Plus, I'm often in need of either gas or a restroom break when in that area, and there are 3 tucks stops conveniently located right there. The most annoyance I've gotten from that configuration is trying to explain it when giving directions.

Though I could see where someone who had to go from 75 north to 30 east on a daily basis would get annoyed with it. That one movement could be solved pretty easily with a direct ramp, though any of the other movements would be much more difficult to pull off due to the location of a nearby railroad track and a local road with a partial interchange. A full interchange project wouldn't be worth it IMO, I'd rather see more widening of 75. 

PurdueBill

Quote from: Buck87 on December 15, 2014, 12:17:13 AM
I typically go through there 1-3 times per year, and I don't find it all that bad. I actually kind of like it when going from 30 west to 75 south, since the brief Lincoln Highway stretch acts as a buffer zone between the easy lulling feel of cruising down 30 and the more tense feel on a much more crowded 75. Plus, I'm often in need of either gas or a restroom break when in that area, and there are 3 tucks stops conveniently located right there. The most annoyance I've gotten from that configuration is trying to explain it when giving directions.

Though I could see where someone who had to go from 75 north to 30 east on a daily basis would get annoyed with it. That one movement could be solved pretty easily with a direct ramp, though any of the other movements would be much more difficult to pull off due to the location of a nearby railroad track and a local road with a partial interchange. A full interchange project wouldn't be worth it IMO, I'd rather see more widening of 75. 

When passing through on US 30 and stopping for gas (or occasionally exiting 75 NB for 30 EB), I just stay on old Lincoln Highway over to OH 235 or someting, then jog to US 30.  The ridiculous loop ramp for entry to US 30 EB adds about a mile.

Last winter I was driving that way in clear weather but blowing snow that had already fallen, and you could not even really find the loop ramp.  That was the one time I've taken it in something like 8 years, and that was because I didn't want to trek down the old road in that weather in case there was some problem.  At least on modern US 30 someone would see someone in distress.  Not that the ramp is any better.

Completing the connections would probably involve taking properties that aren't worth it.  The connection via OH 696 isn't all that bad considering the volumes.  There are other places like 475 being blown off by the Turnpike that could use fixing but also probably will never see it.

vtk

I did I-75 NB to US 30 WB last winter.  Didn't take a shortcut west of Lima on the theory that 2-lane roads (even state routes) would be more likely snow-covered, as ODOT was struggling to keep up plowing the Interstates that night.  Got stuck behind a truck doing the same movement.  That guy didn't break 10 MPH between the I-75 exit and the US 30 entrance, and he took an extra long time decelerating and accelerating on the ramps too.  I'm not convinced he would have moved much faster in fair weather.  Point is, making that transfer is extremely annoying for a small number of people.

Back on topic, I'm glad to hear this part of I-75 is getting another lane each way.  It's been needed for a long time.  (And Lima probably can indeed wait.)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

lepidopteran

6a

That seriously reads like it's the first road construction project in Toledo history.

Buck87

Buck87

And here's an update on the widening/rebuild project on 75 within the city of Toledo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gZux5D8Q5E

thenetwork

Glad to see I-75 FINALLY going to three-lanes in each direction through there.  That was always a pinch point for both North/South thru traffic as well as crosstown East/West traffic.

Many Toledo freeway memories as a little kid when I would go see my aunt in Detroit.  I remember the days when:

- I-75 was two-lanes per direction from I-280 to the state line.
- Alexis Road (OH-184) was not even competed to I-75 yet.
- I-75 NORTH of the state line was 2-lanes in each direction!!!
- I-280 was mostly at-grade intersections south of Woodville Road (OH-51). 

westerninterloper

I just returned from a road trip to Florida, and was surprised at how many interstates along the way were fully six-laned - I-75 through half of Kentucky, I-65 through all of that commonwealth, and I-75 all the way through Georgia. This was particularly noticeable in Tennessee, where I-65 goes back to four lanes just north of Nashville.

Not having driven in those states for about 20 years, I though that the Ohio Turnpike from Cleveland to Toledo was unique in having long-distance six-lanes (I-71 is now too from Cols to Cle, right? I haven't driven that), but now I wonder why Ohio isn't moving more quickly to 6-lane all of I-75 through the state. The stretch from Findlay to Piqua is busy enough to warrant it, I would think.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

Buck87

Quote from: westerninterloper on January 04, 2016, 11:42:06 AM
I-71 is now too from Cols to Cle, right?

Yes

now I wonder why Ohio isn't moving more quickly to 6-lane all of I-75 through the state. The stretch from Findlay to Piqua is busy enough to warrant it, I would think.

Agreed

GaryV

Quote from: westerninterloper on January 04, 2016, 11:42:06 AM
I just returned from a road trip to Florida, and was surprised at how many interstates along the way were fully six-laned - I-75 through half of Kentucky, .., and I-75 all the way through Georgia.
And the southernmost 160 miles of I-75 in Michigan too.  Except for a short stretch near Flint and the ramps to/from I-75 (Chrysler Freeway) / I-75 (Fisher Freeway) in Detroit.

The Great Zo

Quote from: westerninterloper on January 04, 2016, 11:42:06 AMThe stretch from Findlay to Piqua is busy enough to warrant it, I would think.

They've been working on a significant reconstruction project on I-75 in and southwest of Lima, and to my untrained eyes, it doesn't appear that it's been built in a way that will accommodate three lanes in the future. There has also been a lot of resurfacing between Lima and Dayton in the past year or two, which might indicate they don't have any immediate plans for widening.

Buck87

Quote from: The Great Zo on January 07, 2016, 07:11:00 PM
They've been working on a significant reconstruction project on I-75 in and southwest of Lima, and to my untrained eyes, it doesn't appear that it's been built in a way that will accommodate three lanes in the future.

Yeah, I was through there last week and noticed that as well. And the section immediately north of Lima to at least US 30 has several overpasses where there doesn't appear to be enough room to squeeze in a 3rd lane between the existing left lane and the bridge abutments in the median.

Though one good thing I noticed was that the speed limit is now 70 on the parts of the Lima section that are done (northern section.) Maybe that means the whole Lima area will be 70 once the project is done

Buck87

They are also renovating the rest areas/welcome center near Bowling Green while the ramps are closed due to the widening project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiyxYcQrKuo

westerninterloper

The main part of the construction on I-75 between Perrysburg and Findlay is scheduled to be complete "in the fall" according to ODOT District 2; the Perrysburg 75-475 interchange should reopen in September. Will be a much much smoother drive in a few months!

Buck87

Quote from: westerninterloper on July 07, 2016, 08:37:53 PM
the Perrysburg 75-475 interchange should reopen in September.

Should be anytime now, as it's already been 6 days since they posted this "teaser trailer" about the ramps opening soon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9etgFkr1ahY 

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

mvak36

So after this project is done, how much of 75 would be left to 3-lane in the state?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Buck87

Just saw on the Toledo news that Tuesday at 6am is the currently scheduled time for the ramps to open at 75/475

Quote from: mvak36 on September 14, 2016, 03:53:35 PM
So after this project is done, how much of 75 would be left to 3-lane in the state?

Everything from Findlay to Troy, which is about 85 miles, but it doesn't look like 3 laning the whole will happen anytime soon. For example, there's a major I-75 rebuilding project nearing completion in the Lima area that did not include 3 laning the interstate.

westerninterloper

Quote from: renegade on September 14, 2016, 02:43:18 PM
^^ I wonder how much money they spent on that?

The music was dumb.
I saw another video in the local paper that said two of the I-475/I-75 ramps will open by Friday morning, and the rest by the following Tuesday. Also, the six-laning is essentially complete between the OH25 Cygnet interchange and US6, but when I drove it last weekend the inside lands were still coned off. It looks like the section between US 6 and OH 582 is almost complete as well; much of it should be opening in the next few weeks....finally.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.