News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Port Authority overhaul vetoed

Started by Alps, December 28, 2014, 12:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: bzakharin on July 22, 2016, 02:51:41 PM
I would imagine NJ wants some say in the bridges, tunnels, and trains that have access from the NJ side. Are there any state crossings that are maintained exclusively by one state? I mean bridges and tunnels. I know just about every regional rail agency in these parts operates trains outside their state.

In  Maryland and D.C., yes (not sure if  you were asking about metropolitan New York or nationally).  When the Crown granted what became Maryland to the Calvert family in the 1630's, they  were awarded the Potomac River to the low water mark on the Virginia (and since 1863, the West Virginia) shore, which means that Maryland (and  D.C.) maintain nearly every bridge over the Potomac River to its landing on the Virginia side. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

bzakharin

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 22, 2016, 03:20:49 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on July 22, 2016, 02:51:41 PM
I would imagine NJ wants some say in the bridges, tunnels, and trains that have access from the NJ side. Are there any state crossings that are maintained exclusively by one state? I mean bridges and tunnels. I know just about every regional rail agency in these parts operates trains outside their state.

In  Maryland and D.C., yes (not sure if  you were asking about metropolitan New York or nationally).  When the Crown granted what became Maryland to the Calvert family in the 1630's, they  were awarded the Potomac River to the low water mark on the Virginia (and since 1863, the West Virginia) shore, which means that Maryland (and  D.C.) maintain nearly every bridge over the Potomac River to its landing on the Virginia side. 
I meant nationally. This is interesting because Delaware has a similar deal at its border with NJ (The Delaware river/bay belong entirely to Delaware in that area), yet the Delaware Memorial Bridge is still owned by a bi-state authority (DRBA).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.