News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

OR bill to turn some state hwys to cities; make Cornelius Pass a state route

Started by Sub-Urbanite, March 19, 2015, 03:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sub-Urbanite

"Senate Bill 117, which got its first public hearing Monday, would assign a 12-person task force to complete a draft report by the end of 2015 for prioritizing which so-called "orphan highways"  within city limits for the state to upgrade and transfer to local control."

http://bikeportland.org/2015/03/19/bill-moving-salem-includes-map-roads-transferred-city-control-135772

nexus73

In Coos Bay the section of SR 540 within that city's boundaries was transferred to the city back in the 80's.  What made it happen was ODOT giving the city around $17 million and the city agreeing to maintain the route.  Back then we had higher interest rates than today so the money was invested in interest-bearing accounts and the interest payments went toward maintenance.

As time passed there was seen a need to improve a part of the route through town.  Interest rates had dropped.  Principal was spent and the improvements took place about a decade ago

Under this new proposal it appears ODOT will do the improvements followed by turning over the road to another agency, whether it be city or county.  I would urge any such transfer be done only after a thorough improvement of the route had been done.  The lower levels of government will only get one chance to make a deal so they had better make it a great deal since after that they will be stuck with the responsibilities for the route until the end of days.

Rick 
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Bickendan

As long as the shields stay up (or get put up, if needed), I don't care who maintains the route. I can only imagine OR 43 going away, or OR 99E not really being signed north of I-205 though :/

roadfro

Quote from: nexus73 on March 20, 2015, 12:28:03 PM
Under this new proposal it appears ODOT will do the improvements followed by turning over the road to another agency, whether it be city or county.  I would urge any such transfer be done only after a thorough improvement of the route had been done.  The lower levels of government will only get one chance to make a deal so they had better make it a great deal since after that they will be stuck with the responsibilities for the route until the end of days.

This seems to be the approach Nevada DOT is taking towards relinquishing routes. NDOT has not turned over as many routes as they wanted to over the past couple decades. They are working on a standard process by which negotiations for route relinquishments and jurisdiction transfer of roads from state to local control (or vice versa) will be handled and how the entities will be compensated.

In one case (don't recall the route), NDOT slightly improved the road before turning it over, and agreed to stripe it annually for ~10 years and do snow removal for some time as well.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

NE2

This would be making Cornelius pass a state *highway*. They can put up signs to make it a state *route* tomorrow.

PS: is PDX pronounced pee-dicks?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Bickendan

TEG24601

Maybe then we can improve the safety over the pass.  The ultimate question is, will is be a signed route just between US 30 and US 26, or all the way down to TV Highway, with an extension to 10 or even 210 near Scholls or even Pacific Highway (99W) near Sherwood?
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.