News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

South Lawrence Trafficway (K-10) West leg Study and East Leg Construction Update

Started by route56, April 02, 2015, 07:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m2tbone

That's not entirely true.  Here in the St. Louis area, MO 364 and MO 370 (both of which are freeways) have exit numbers, and neither of them are interstates. 

SD Mapman

Quote from: m2tbone on February 19, 2016, 07:49:08 AM
That's not entirely true.  Here in the St. Louis area, MO 364 and MO 370 (both of which are freeways) have exit numbers, and neither of them are interstates.
That's what I get for just checking Kansas City!
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

J N Winkler

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 16, 2016, 04:50:08 PMIf the upgrades go through, I'd like to see the highway have its exits numbered, although somehow I doubt it would happen.

I have never seen any evidence that this requirement is even on KDOT's radar and I don't think it will be complied with unless someone (probably at FHWA) hits them over the head with it.

It has been suggested that KDOT is not using exit numbers on non-Interstate freeways because it does not count them as freeways.  I am skeptical of this theory for two reasons.  First, the non-Interstates without exit numbers do meet the MUTCD definition of freeways, which is operative (under Kansas' direct-adoption law) when considering whether a route must have exit numbers, and it is the stated policy intent of the current edition of MUTCD to extend the requirement to have exit numbers to all freeways other than Interstates.  Second, the break between the types of freeways for which KDOT does not use exit numbers (Interstates versus non-Interstates) does not match up with the break KDOT could plausibly cite as a rationale for not using exit numbers on all freeways if it were called on it by FHWA (freeways with specialization by vehicle class versus freeways without).  (In Kansas a freeway with specialization by vehicle class has signs at all on-ramps indicating which classes of vehicles cannot use it--"Pedestrians, Animals Led - Ridden - Driven," etc.  Kansas freeways so specialized include all Interstates, K-10 between Lawrence and I-435, and US 81 north of Salina.  Freeways without it include Kellogg Avenue and the short length of K-96 northwest of I-235.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

The Ghostbuster

Many non-Interstates here in Wisconsin have exit numbers. It's too bad other states don't do the same IMHO.

route56

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 19, 2016, 01:54:47 PM
(In Kansas a freeway with specialization by vehicle class has signs at all on-ramps indicating which classes of vehicles cannot use it--"Pedestrians, Animals Led - Ridden - Driven," etc.  Kansas freeways so specialized include all Interstates, K-10 between Lawrence and I-435, and US 81 north of Salina.  Freeways without it include Kellogg Avenue and the short length of K-96 northwest of I-235.)

Only the section between Lawrence and Evening Star Road (the first exit in Johnson County) is 'specialized'

iPhone
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

route56

KDOT will be re-evaluating the north end

Quote from: Ryan Barrett, P.E., Special Requirements Engineer, Kansas Department of Transportation
In an effort to keep you updated on the status of work related to the K-10 West Leg SLT Concept Study, we have the following update related to the north end of the project area.   At the request of the Heritage Baptist Church, KDOT presented at a March 3, 2016 meeting regarding the K-10 West Leg Concept Study and listened to public input on the alternatives for improvement of the I-70/K-10 Interchange and associated roadways.  KDOT takes the responsibility to maintain a safe and efficient transportation system seriously. Public comments and input received at this meeting provided additional insights into community concerns. 

Nearly 400 people attended the meeting and close to 50 verbal and written comments were received from the attendees. 

While there were many comments, the general theme can be summarized to reflect the following concerns:   
  • Condition of local roads and desire for local road improvements on U.S. 40 and County Roads E. 600 and E. 800 Roads where traffic may shift instead of using I-70 to access K-10.

• Relocating local access from K-10 highway and Farmer's Turnpike to Lecompton Road was seen as unacceptable because it requires a toll payment to access K-10 from I-70.  Several residents do not support tolling this portion of the trip. Because some travelers may consider the surrounding roads unsafe options they do not support using I-70 to access K-10 as the only viable option. 

• Condition of the county roads was deemed unsafe from a First Responder perspective.  Additionally, the proposed Preferred Access Alternative created concern regarding response times and delays with staff getting to work and being able to respond to incidents in a timely manner.

In response to concerns raised at the March 3rd meeting, KDOT is reevaluating the Preferred Access Alternative including options for local road improvements to U.S. 40 and investigating configurations that provide local access to K-10 at Farmer's Turnpike while maintaining the safety and operational requirements of a highway to highway connection between I-70 and K-10. 

Also in response to the concern that the public did not have adequate opportunity to provide input, KDOT will engage the community through additional workshops or public meetings to gather input and information on options for local road improvements and potential new configurations for local access to K-10. KDOT will also continue to work with local public officials so they can be aware of modifications to the existing alternatives, new alternatives and potential implications of these for the community.

Overall, it will take several months to re-evaluate alternatives, engage the public and stakeholders, evaluate input, and identify a proposed solution.  Please look for meeting notifications later this spring and summer as they become available.  At these meetings KDOT will provide updates on the Proposed Access Alternatives, the timeline for moving forward and interim solutions that could be considered until the ultimate improvements to K-10 are made. 

As a reminder, there is no funding for construction of any long-term improvements at this time, but KDOT wants to have the improvement plans in place so when funding is available, construction can move forward.

We appreciate your consideration and encourage you to provide input throughout the process.
(Of note: I received this email blast via Robyn Arthur at HNTB, rather than through Kim Qualls at KDOT)

In addition, KDOT has put the closure of the at-grade intersection with Kasold Drive on hold for the time being.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2016/apr/08/alternatives-farmers-turnpike-kasold-drive-closure/?print

As for the Baker Wetlands, an article in this morning's paper indicates that the mitigation project has exceeded the expectations of its primary caretaker.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2016/apr/10/expanded-baker-wetlands-proving-resource-wildlife-/?print

The later article has drawn a tounge-in-cheek response in the comments section. "Say it isn't so. This is lie. K-10 and KDOT have ruined the wetlands right?" As of this posting (12:15 PM 4/10/16) it is the only comment on this article.

R.P.K.

route56

Photos from 4/15/16:

53279 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
Yes, a 45 MPH speed limit on K-10 through the work zone.

53280 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
Traffic moving Head-to-head in the eastbound K-10 lanes

53284 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
Two lanes squeezed onto a one-lane road:  both directions of traffic are moving on the 23rd Street/Eastbound K-10 ramp.

53287 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
The road widens out where the ramp from 23rd to Westbound K-10 joins.

R.P.K.

route56

KDOT held a public open house regarding the situation with K-10 and Kasold. Basically, the options are to leave the intersection alone until KDOT gets money allocated for converting the western leg of the SLT to freeway, put in a traffic signal, make Kasold a right-in/right-out intersection, or to go ahead and dead-end Kasold now.

The intersection is situated in a narrow strip between the Yankee Tank Creek and the Wakarusa River floodways. There is no room to build an interchange or have Kasold go over K-10 without impacting the floodway, and raising K-10 is not being favored either. Also, KDOT has indicated it will not consider lowering the speed limit from its current 65 MPH, nor will they accept a design with a sub-65 MPH design speed.

R.P.K.

route56

UPDATE!: KDOT has sent a final report to the city of Lawrence (and, presumably to Douglas County, also) regarding the Kasold intersection. They are recommending that the junction be re-striped for right-in/right-out access.

Based on the commentary of some of my friends on facebook, I feel like they were wanting the intersection with Kasold to remain open permanently, which obviously goes against KDOT's ultimate plans.

R.P.K.

route56

From July 30, 2016:

I saw the (speed zone) sign:

54149 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

Climbed up the rock terrace for this shot -- will NOT attempt it again:

54151 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

Noise wall separating the wetlands from the SLT:

54153 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

Not a wasteland:

54156 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

Shot over a low part of the noise wall:

54161 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

R.P.K.

route56

R.P.K.

route56

Nutshell: The Westbound K-10 to 23rd Street ramp opens to traffic tomorrow. The Speed Limit on 23rd between K-10 and Harper will be permanently reduced to 45 MPH. (prior to the start of construction, 23rd was 55 from Harper to O'Connell, 65 from O'Connell to Noria Road; currently, eastbound 23rd has already been reduced to 45 MPH, westbound had a few stray 55 MPH signs still up)

Quote from: Kim Qualls
Westbound K-10 to Westbound 23rd Street PERMANENT CONFIGURATION TRAFFIC SWITCH  > > #K10SLT EAST LEG

TRAFFIC SWITCH: Westbound K-10 to westbound 23rd Street traffic from E 1900 Road to O'Connell Road will be switched to the final permanent configuration during the day, TOMORROW, Thursday, September 8, weather permitting in Lawrence (Douglas County).

Here's what this means for drivers > Permanent traffic changes on this stretch of roadway include one lane only for westbound traffic and a posted 45 mph speed limit.

Updated traffic information for the K-10 East Leg South Lawrence Trafficway Project can be viewed online: www.ksdot.org/topekametro/laneclose.asp.  An aerial map of the new K-10 South Lawrence Trafficway, including construction phasing and traffic impacts, can be found online at: http://www.ksdot.org/topekaMetro/projectstudytest.asp.

The Kansas Department of Transportation urges all motorists to be alert, take it slow, obey the warning signs, and "Give "˜Em a Brake!"  when approaching and driving through the project work zone.

The overall scheduled completion date for the K-10 South Lawrence Trafficway Project is Fall 2016, weather permitting. (KDOT T-WORKS Project #10-23 K-8392-04)

R.P.K.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: route56 on September 07, 2016, 10:56:52 PM
The Speed Limit on 23rd between K-10 and Harper will be permanently reduced to 45 MPH. (prior to the start of construction, 23rd was 55 from Harper to O'Connell, 65 from O'Connell to Noria Road; currently, eastbound 23rd has already been reduced to 45 MPH, westbound had a few stray 55 MPH signs still up)

That's ridiculous!  Kansas is usually pretty good about not setting speed limits too low, but I suppose when a road is turned over to cities or counties, absurd speed limits can happen.  If I recall correctly, I don't think the prevailing traffic speed on (soon-to-be-former) K-10 between O'Connell Rd. and Noria Rd. was ever significantly less than 55 M.P.H. before the SLT-related construction zone was put in place (not counting what it may have been prior to the four-lane, divided configuration that we've known for years), but I don't have the data to prove it.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

route56

Well, it's been practically 20 years in the making, but KDOT will have a ribbon cutting for the SLT on November 4 at 10:00. Right now, I doubt I will make it

They plan to do the ribbon cutting at the east end, near the K-10 merge, then open up the wetlands segment to walking and cycling from noon to 1:30, weather permitting.

R.P.K.

route56

Press release announcing the K-10/Kasold reconfiguration:

Quote from: Kim Qualls
K-10 & E 1200 Road Intersection Improvement Project > > #K10SLT West Leg

24/7 FULL ROAD CLOSURE: Northbound and southbound E 1200 Road at K-10 intersection CLOSED for intersection configuration work beginning at 9 a.m. on Monday, November 7 through Friday, November 18, weather permitting as crews convert the existing intersection into a right in, right out access in Lawrence (Douglas County). There will little to no traffic impacts for K-10 traffic.

Project work includes the removal and addition of new permanent pavement markings and the installation of delineators for directing traffic through the right in right out movements at the intersection. Once the intersection improvement project is complete access to/from K-10 to E 1200 Road and vice versa will be right in and right out traffic movements only.

Advance message boards will alert traffic to the full road closure. No marked detour will be provided. Drivers should expect minor delays and must use alternate routes during the full road closure.

Updated traffic information for this project and for the entire Lawrence Metro Area can be viewed online at:  http://www.ksdot.org/bureaus/TopekaMetro/laneclose.asp.

The Kansas Department of Transportation urges all motorists to be alert, take it slow, obey the warning signs, and "Give "˜Em a Brake!"  when approaching and driving through the project work zone.

Cillessen & Sons (Kechi, KS) is the primary contractor on this $79,798 intersection improvement project. (KDOT T-WORKS Project #10-23 K 3634-04)

KDOT previously indicated that they did not want to open the East Leg of the SLT until Kasold was done, so I would anticipate that the SLT east leg will open barely in time for Turkey Day the week of the 21st.

R.P.K.

route56

I chose to earn a living over going to the ribbon cutting (I wasn't at the groundbreaking for the western leg 20+ years ago either, FWIW)

As part of the ribbon cutting, KDOT announced that the opening of the trafficway will be this Wednesday, November 9

Of course, the Lawrence Journal-World has coverage of the ribbon cutting and of what happened that led up to it.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2016/nov/03/after-more-two-decades-argument-slt-open-reflectio/

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2016/nov/04/leaders-laud-completion-slt-ribbon-cutting-road-op/

R.P.K.

US 41

Awesome! I will be using this on my way to Colorado in a month when I shunpike I-70.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Alex

Drove by this on Monday and some of the overhead assemblies for the unopened freeway had yet to be installed. There are only two signs for K-10 on the current route westbound: one where K-10 turns south onto U.S. 59, and another after their merge. Not much to take down on November 9th in other words.

Also noted that K-10 was the only road that used county pentagons on exit signs that we drove in Kansas this week. Notably the former south end of U.S. 81 Business east of Lindsborg is CR 429, but signs on I-135 solely reference Smokey Valley Road.

route56

Quote from: Alex on November 05, 2016, 12:05:35 AM
Also noted that K-10 was the only road that used county pentagons on exit signs that we drove in Kansas this week. Notably the former south end of U.S. 81 Business east of Lindsborg is CR 429, but signs on I-135 solely reference Smokey Valley Road.

The only other ones I know about are on US 59 south of Lawrence and at US 73 and 20th Street on the north side of Leavenworth.

R.P.K.

yakra

Drove by this on Monday and some of the overhead assemblies for the unopened freeway had yet to be installed. There are only two signs for K-10 on the current route westbound: one where K-10 turns south onto U.S. 59, and another after their merge. Not much to take down on November 9th in other words.
While you were in the area, did you happen to notice how US 40 is signed?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Alex

Quote from: yakra on November 06, 2016, 12:18:24 PM

That's a probably a good question for Richie.

We followed the mainline of K-10 from the South Lawrence Trafficway onto its soon to be former surface street alignment through Lawrence, and then the super-two bypass around the west side of the city to I-70.

route56

Quote from: Alex on November 06, 2016, 06:49:22 PM
Quote from: yakra on November 06, 2016, 12:18:24 PM

That's a probably a good question for Richie.

US 40 is still signed on West 6th

R.P.K.

rte66man

:sombrero:
Quote from: route56 on November 04, 2016, 11:31:37 PM
I chose to earn a living over going to the ribbon cutting ...

Aw c'mon, you'e got to reorder those priorities    :bigass:   :bigass:   :bigass:
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

route56

Quote from: rte66man on November 07, 2016, 07:05:24 PM
:sombrero:
Quote from: route56 on November 04, 2016, 11:31:37 PM
I chose to earn a living over going to the ribbon cutting ...

Aw c'mon, you'e got to reorder those priorities    :bigass:   :bigass:   :bigass:

Gotta pay for my Sentra somehow :sombrero:

KDOT has posted pics and video of the ribbon cutting:

https://www.facebook.com/NEKansasKDOT/photos/?tab=album&album_id=963139597121400

R.P.K.

route56

54832 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
Advance BGS on eastbound 23rd Street for the ramps to the SLT.

54835 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
Eastbound 23rd splits into ramps for Eastbound and Westbound K-10.

54839 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
Westbound SLT at Haskell. Note advance guide sign for 59.

R.P.K.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.