2015 Buffalo/Niagara Falls mini-meet?

Started by Roadgeek Adam, June 19, 2015, 07:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffaboy

Yes, part of my Future I-86 plan. That's a pleasant road to drive on.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

AsphaltPlanet

I think for me I am probably more interested in seeing the game than I am in clinching the highways.  I formerly lived in Hamilton, ON so I have had the opportunity to drive of Buffalo's expressway mileage on numerous occasions.  I would understand if there is little interest in the game, but in reality, I am less inclined to attend if nobody else wants to go to the game.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Rothman

Yeah, I don't know if I'd make the game, but I'd look forward to a meal and the tour.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on June 23, 2015, 08:52:16 PM
I think for me I am probably more interested in seeing the game than I am in clinching the highways.  I formerly lived in Hamilton, ON so I have had the opportunity to drive of Buffalo's expressway mileage on numerous occasions.  I would understand if there is little interest in the game, but in reality, I am less inclined to attend if nobody else wants to go to the game.

Honestly, right now, consensus seems against, no offense.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

signalman

I'm strongly considering this.  I'm just trying to work it out into a very long day trip.  I don't have the extra money for a motel room and I need to be at home on Sunday.  I have too much work to do at home and can't be stuck spending half of Sunday driving home.

If I do go, (and it's a big maybe right now) I would only be interested in a meal and road tour.  A game and beers sound tempting, but it chews up way too much precious time.

Dr Frankenstein

I was on the fence, but my girlfriend really wants to see Niagara Falls, so it's a go. Is anyone willing to share a room with us?

No baseball for us, though.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on June 29, 2015, 09:53:25 AM
No baseball for us, though.

It looks like that's not going to happen, so no worries.
Adam Seth Moss

Dr Frankenstein

Due to unplanned things getting in the way, we're going to have to skip this one, unfortunately. :(

CANALLER

Even thought it's right in my back yard, sorry I can't go.  Weather permitting, we have a major weekend expressway closure planned for the next 2 weekends.  Any of you guys thinking of working for D.O.T. might want to stop by and see what kind of life you have (or don't).

Rothman

Quote from: CANALLER on July 07, 2015, 10:54:51 AM
Even thought it's right in my back yard, sorry I can't go.  Weather permitting, we have a major weekend expressway closure planned for the next 2 weekends.  Any of you guys thinking of working for D.O.T. might want to stop by and see what kind of life you have (or don't).

Heh.  My DOT career doesn't really get affected by such things.   I suppose it'd be different if I volunteered for the STICC.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeek Adam

I should have the road meet guide up tomorrow, I need to make a couple route adjustments and time to sit down and fix it. 
Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeek Adam

Adam Seth Moss

Rothman

vdeane

No clinch of the small portion of the Robert Moses State Parkway between I-190 and the LaSalle Expressway?  Other than that, looks great!  I'll adapt my drive in as needed to clinch some things that I want.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: vdeane on July 10, 2015, 03:28:19 PM
No clinch of the small portion of the Robert Moses State Parkway between I-190 and the LaSalle Expressway?  Other than that, looks great!  I'll adapt my drive in as needed to clinch some things that I want.

We are doing that section.
Adam Seth Moss

cl94

Couple suggestions to take in a couple little changes/new construction/interesting things and closer parking:

*I'd say Aero Drive between NY 78 and Wherle. Catches a pony truss bridge over Ellicott Creek, 2 newish roundabouts and the tunnel under the runway. Little longer, but more interesting than office parks.

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 10, 2015, 03:35:38 PM
Quote from: vdeane on July 10, 2015, 03:28:19 PM

We are doing that section.

Not per the guide. Guide has us getting on at I-190. I'd suggest getting on the LaSalle at NY 265 or 77th St to grab it. We wouldn't be missing much by avoiding NY 384.

*There's a free parking lot on the Robert Moses Parkway just north of NY 104 at the Discovery Center. I typically park there when taking people to the Falls. The path connecting the lot with the falls runs along the abandoned section of the Parkway and under the Rainbow Bridge and might be the best place for bridge pictures. On a Saturday, it's probably our only chance at free parking (or parking together) anywhere near the Falls.

Other than that, it's great. Personally, I'd just use Upper Mountain Road the entire way between NY 104 and NY 93, but the only difference is the type of scenery.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Personally, I prefer NY 31 to Upper Mountain Rd for getting to NY 93 - because I need to clinch it.  No other reason.

I defined my trip to the meet.  It's longer than the original, but it should be great for clinching (when combined with the meet).  I-490 and I-90 west to exit 48A, NY 77 south to NY 33, NY 33 to I-90, I-90 to NY 179, NY 179 to NY 5, NY 5 east to NY 77 (with a detour and U turn on NY 33 to clinch it (combined with the meet)), U turn, NY 93 north to NY 31, NY 31 to NY 78, NY 78 south to the restaurant.  My drive back is probably just a relatively direct route from wherever we end up.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

As bad luck would have it, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make it.  Just got a financial screwball thrown at me on Friday that screwed everything up.  I'll see if I can still work things out, but it's not likely at this point.

route17fan

I too am not able to attend :(  I do hope that everyone that does go will have a great time!
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Rothman

...and just as fickle as misfortune is fortune.  I'm back in.  Will be bringin' the missus.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Rothman on July 13, 2015, 08:16:51 PM
...and just as fickle as misfortune is fortune.  I'm back in.  Will be bringin' the missus.

Good to know, I will be calling the restaurant on Thursday, which is usually what I do.
Adam Seth Moss

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 13, 2015, 08:49:14 PM
Quote from: Rothman on July 13, 2015, 08:16:51 PM

Good to know, I will be calling the restaurant on Thursday, which is usually what I do.

I'm in for good, +1.

froggie

My attendance was hingent on Doug attending...but since he's unable to go due to other commitments, I'll have to take a pass as well.

Rothman

Roadgeek Adam

Adam Seth Moss

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.