News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignBridge

If they make the HOV lane continuous over the bridge, how will drivers exit from the upper level to the Belt Pkwy. without crossing the HOV lane? Or is the plan to have all Belt. Pkwy. traffic use the lower level?

Duke87

Quote from: SignBridge on July 03, 2017, 08:56:07 PM
If they make the HOV lane continuous over the bridge, how will drivers exit from the upper level to the Belt Pkwy. without crossing the HOV lane? Or is the plan to have all Belt. Pkwy. traffic use the lower level?

A new ramp has been built which snakes the HOV lane through the interchange. You can see part of it on satellite view, it's the ramp with the green surface next to the westbound roadway.

The Belt Parkway will be a left exit from the main lanes, and a right exit from the HOV lane.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on July 03, 2017, 08:56:07 PM
HOV lane is left of the Belt lane. It goes down the median.

SignBridge

Okay I get it now. I just assumed that the existing left lane was the HOV lane. But looking at it from overhead on Google Earth, I see that a separate ramp is now there for the HOV lane to the left of the Belt Pkwy exit. Thanks.

Mergingtraffic

idn't they take away a general purpose lane for the HOV lane on the BQE or Gowanus?

Any update on the HRD realignment in Harlem near 125th street exit?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Alps

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 04, 2017, 08:59:03 PM
idn't they take away a general purpose lane for the HOV lane on the BQE or Gowanus?

Any update on the HRD realignment in Harlem near 125th street exit?
They didn't. There's been a lot of reconstruction to squeeze the HOV lane between 3 lanes each way.

MikeCL

Man I haven't driven in the city now for 2 months (engine repair) but I have to ask because it just looks bad.. the Brooklyn Bridge when do they repave? I assume the exposed deck is not a issue?

MikeCL

Also what's the deal for the Whitestone and Ezpass last time I drove out that way was back in Feb :( and I saw they tore down the cash booths

vdeane

The Whitestone is slated to be converted to all electronic tolling in October.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MikeCL

D-Dey65

Quote from: vdeane on July 06, 2017, 10:17:15 PM
Let's see; Sign up for E-Z Pass now and get no discount because I haven't been a New York State resident in 18 years, or take the toll-by-plate option. Which to choose?

In the meantime I was checking out the Bronx River Parkway and Harlem Line, and I just saw the condition of the Bronx River Parkway bridge over the Harlem Line at Woodlawn.

http://uglybridges.com/1382244

YIKES! If I were still there, I'd tell NYSDOT Region 11 to build that new bridge now and transport it by helicopter to the site of the current bridge or something like that. Either way, they can't let that thing fall apart.

And all I wanted to do was see if the big spaces currently being used for bike lanes on the southbound on ramp were the original northbound lane right-of-way.

http://maps.nyc.gov/doitt/nycitymap/?z=8&p=1022184,265055&c=GIS1951&s=i:EAST+233+STREET,BRONX+RIVER+PARKWAY,BRONX

It is.

vdeane

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 08, 2017, 08:14:50 PM
Quote from: vdeane on July 06, 2017, 10:17:15 PM
Let's see; Sign up for E-Z Pass now and get no discount because I haven't been a New York State resident in 18 years, or take the toll-by-plate option. Which to choose?
You can get a NY tag as a non-resident, though if you do it online they'll send you a Port Authority one (with the fee).  You can get a fee-free one from the MTA or Thruway by taking a roadtrip and buying it at one of the retailers that sell them on-the-go.
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/onthego/locations.shtml
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mergingtraffic

What is it with NYC making 3DI shields bubble shields?  Can they not make them regular?!  Did they get a hold of a template or something? I mean as they're designing the signs they must look at it and say something is off. 

I've seen more bubble shields driving around recently.

vdeane

It was NYSDOT spec for a while, at least until NY adopted the federal MUTCD.  Maybe NYCDOT never gave them up?

mariethefoxy

I noticed theres a lot of new state name interstate shields in the city

Mergingtraffic

Has anyone driven over the Varrazano Bridge since the open road tolling began? 

There were two button copy signs after the toll plaza for Bay St & Lily Pond Ave.  I wonder if those will remain?

plain

Quote from: mariethefoxy on July 11, 2017, 01:42:11 AM

Are they on the expressways or just on the city streets? I haven't gone over into the city since February
Newark born, Richmond bred

Alps

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 12, 2017, 06:49:24 PM

There were two button copy signs after the toll plaza for Bay St & Lily Pond Ave.  I wonder if those will remain?
Oh hell no.

mariethefoxy

Quote from: plain on July 12, 2017, 07:50:28 PM
Quote from: mariethefoxy on July 11, 2017, 01:42:11 AM

Are they on the expressways or just on the city streets? I haven't gone over into the city since February

The one I remember seeing was on Westchester Avenue in The Bronx by the southbound onramp to the Hutch. It looked very new. I haven't seen a new one on an expressway mainline though I could have sworn I saw a state name 495 shield on 495 West just past Exit 31, but next time I went there it was gone.

storm2k

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 12, 2017, 06:49:24 PM

Still there, for now. Drove over the bridge tonight. I'm sure they'll be replaced as they finish up the work demolishing the old toll plaza.

Speaking of the new SIE, has anyone noticed that the poles for the new cantilever BGS's are absolutely huge? Is this a new NYSDOT standard?

Mergingtraffic

Are there any colored street signs left anywhere?

cl94

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 15, 2017, 06:55:18 PM
Are there any colored street signs left anywhere?

If there are, DON'T POST WHERE IN PUBLIC. Every time Kevin Walsh posted about an old sign, lamp, signal, etc. on Forgotten NY, NYCDOT took it down within a month.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

There are a couple still in the Bronx, I believe. And at least one in Queens.

Duke87

To cl94's point, of the four places I can think of where one may still exist in the wild, two of them are on streets NYCDOT does not maintain.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Mergingtraffic

I also noticed all the NB I-495 button copy signs for Exit 8 have been replaced on the FDR with bubble shields.  I think one lone SB button copy for Exit 8 still stands.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.