News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Washington Freeway Plans, Circa 1971

Started by Henry, November 13, 2015, 12:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Here's a map of the freeway plans that were based on the proposed Washington freeway system as they were presented in 1971. The red line is I-95, blue is I-66, yellow is I-295, green is I-70S (now I-270), purple is I-266 and orange is I-595. My thought is since the I-70S extension was cancelled first (although I-70N-turned-I-70 into Baltimore was being pursued until 1981), I-95 would've met I-270 had these freeways been completed.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

froggie

You're SERIOUSLY off on this one.  For starters, I-66 was to go under K Street.  Your 95/70S split is very off (it was to be in the vicinity of Fort Totten).  And you completely missed the Southwest Loop.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on November 13, 2015, 02:42:08 PM
You're SERIOUSLY off on this one.  For starters, I-66 was to go under K Street.  Your 95/70S split is very off (it was to be in the vicinity of Fort Totten).  And you completely missed the Southwest Loop.

The original route of I-70S/U.S. 240 (called the Northwest Expressway) was west of Rock Creek Park.  It was moved east of the park by well-to-do NIMBYs with lots of influence on Congress (since there was no elected municipal government of any kind in D.C. then).

The revised routing of I-70S would have followed the B&O Railroad (CSX now) Metropolitan Branch north to I-495, and would have followed I-495 from there to Pooks Hill, where southern terminus of I-70S (270 now) has always been.  As badly as that part of I-495 functions now, I wonder how much worse it would have been if it had been forced to do double duty.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jakeroot

May I humbly request the thread title to be changed to "Washington DC Freeway Plans, Circa 1971"? :-D

davewiecking

Quote from: jakeroot on November 13, 2015, 08:53:44 PM
May I humbly request the thread title to be changed to "Washington DC Freeway Plans, Circa 1971"? :-D
Is there another Washington in the AAroads-defined Mid-Atlantic region??  :spin:

See https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10852.msg260259#msg260259 (and embedded links) for maps.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: davewiecking on November 14, 2015, 01:19:56 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 13, 2015, 08:53:44 PM
Is there another Washington in the AAroads-defined Mid-Atlantic region??  :spin:

See https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10852.msg260259#msg260259 (and embedded links) for maps.

Washington, VA. Also known as "little washington". home to a famous restaurant (Inn at Little Washington)

davewiecking

True, but not with any freeways through it. No roads over 25 mph, as I recall...

AlexandriaVA

US-211 bypasses the city but goes right adjacent to it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.