News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 35 in Ohio

Started by rebel049, January 08, 2016, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebel049

ODOT has apparently decided not to fund converting US-0035 between Beavercreek and Xenia from partial controlled acccess to fully controlled access. The alternative now being considered is a "super street" which would increase the number of signalized intersections. Details below (if you hit a paywall, you may need to clear your cache to trick the website into thinking you haven't visited before)

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/news/local/alternative-for-relieving-route-35-congestion-bein/npt5Z/

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/local/superstreet-proposed-for-route-35/npxwY/

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/news/local/11m-superstreet-proposed-for-us-35/npxwT/

The Ghostbuster

How many think this will increase congestion rather than decrease it?

rebel049

Exactly what I was thinking as well. Originally the whole purpose of the project was to eliminate the stop lights AND cross traffic because of the high number of accidents in the mentioned corridor. Not only will this probably increase congestion but probably increase the number of accidents in the corridor defeating the original intent of the project. :pan:

Revive 755

^ Depends how well the signals are set up on US 35.  It might increase congestion and delays for the cross roads though.

JREwing78

It's certainly not a comparable fix to converting this stretch to a freeway. However, you eliminate all the left-turn phases, and the additional signals for the U-turns are synchronized with the existing ones. The end result is that traffic throughput (at least on US 35) is increased. So it's not completely pointless.

However, I would consider this an inappropriate location for such a conversion, given that it's a short superstreet stretch in the middle of freeway at each end. The traffic levels certainly warrant a freeway conversion.

Bitmapped

With a Superstreet where there's no traffic that goes completely across each intersection, you should be able to time each direction on the main road independently. This should make it easy for signal progression so that you could move a ton of volume through.

Buck87

Too bad they aren't making this a freeway. But at least it's not a very long section, 2 miles with 5 total intersections, with 4 of those intersections grouped together in stretch less than a mile.

The Ghostbuster

I say "just do the fricking freeway conversion!" Cul du sac Shakertown Road, grade sperate Factory, maybe a split diamond at Alpha and Orchard, either grade seperate or cul du sac Valley and Trebein, and modify the Business 35 interchange so traffic no longer has to exit to stay on mainline 35.

vtk

Quote from: Buck87 on January 14, 2016, 10:47:32 PM
Too bad they aren't making this a freeway. But at least it's not a very long section, 2 miles with 5 total intersections, with 4 of those intersections grouped together in stretch less than a mile.

That makes it worse. US 35 is a freeway for many miles in either direction from here. Having a 2 mile section in the middle with traffic lights, and choosing to keep it that way, is baffling.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

westerninterloper

Quote from: vtk on January 16, 2016, 07:38:44 AM

That makes it worse. US 35 is a freeway for many miles in either direction from here. Having a 2 mile section in the middle with traffic lights, and choosing to keep it that way, is baffling.

I've long been baffled at why so much of that stretch of US 35 is a limited access highway. I guess I can see why another route to I-71 and Columbus would be needed east of Dayton, but why is it that way all the way to Chillicothe?
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

2trailertrucker

Quote from: westerninterloper on January 16, 2016, 03:59:48 PM

I've long been baffled at why so much of that stretch of US 35 is a limited access highway. I guess I can see why another route to I-71 and Columbus would be needed east of Dayton, but why is it that way all the way to Chillicothe?

Considering WV is building out the last section to a freeway, I would assume the heavy car and truck traffic? Also, why would 2 major truck stop chains build on 35 unless the traffic count was there?

Xenia needs to do the same. Period!

Thing 342

US-35 between Dayton and Charleston forms a fairly large portion of the route between much of the southern Mid-Atlantic (VA south of I-64, NC, WV) and the western Great Lakes (Chicago, et al).

I've always wondered why Ohio never bothered to upgrade the portion between the freeway in Dayton and the Xenia bypass. The area's not particularly built up.

cl94

Quote from: Thing 342 on January 16, 2016, 04:17:34 PM

US-35 between Dayton and Charleston forms a fairly large portion of the route between much of the southern Mid-Atlantic (VA south of I-64, NC, WV) and the western Great Lakes (Chicago, et al).

I've always wondered why Ohio never bothered to upgrade the portion between the freeway in Dayton and the Xenia bypass. The area's not particularly built up.

I agree. It is the only direct connection between that part of the country and Chicago. Looking at AADTs, they're typically around 10,000 or higher. Volumes aren't much less than I-77 in most of Ohio.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

monty

I travel US 35 from Kokomo, IN to Myrtle Beach SC all the time and have for many years.  I started going this way before the entire US 35 route south of Dayton to Gallipolis was four lanes.  The next best route for me is through Knoxville, TN on I 40 - which I despise. The little stretch of street level action in this discussion usually isn't too bad - but the freeway upgrade makes a lot of sense, especially for safety as per the adjacent freeway status.  There is a Wal-Mart distribution center on this route which feeds a pretty fair amount of truck traffic.  When the WV segment is finished, it will be really improved.  Next - finish I 73 & I 74 to Myrtle in the Carolinas and I'll be a real happy camper!  I rather enjoy driving the US 35 corridor through Ohio.
monty

westerninterloper

I looked at some maps more closely, and I can see it now...thanks.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

Buck87

Quote from: monty on January 16, 2016, 10:12:11 PM
I rather enjoy driving the US 35 corridor through Ohio.

I've only been on the WV to Chillicothe part, and once at that, but one thing I do remember about it was how scenic & hilly the section between Jackson and Chillicothe was. That's the most "mountainous" looking part of Ohio I can think of when it comes to what you can see from an expressway or freeway (compared to what I've seen on 23, 33, 77, 11 & 7 in other hilly parts of the state)

GCrites

Quote from: Buck87 on January 17, 2016, 07:31:19 AM
Quote from: monty on January 16, 2016, 10:12:11 PM
I rather enjoy driving the US 35 corridor through Ohio.

I've only been on the WV to Chillicothe part, and once at that, but one thing I do remember about it was how scenic & hilly the section between Jackson and Chillicothe was. That's the most "mountainous" looking part of Ohio I can think of when it comes to what you can see from an expressway or freeway (compared to what I've seen on 23, 33, 77, 11 & 7 in other hilly parts of the state)

If you want a good long descent, take 32 between Piketon and Peebles.

captkirk_4

Quote from: 2trailertrucker on January 16, 2016, 04:15:19 PM

Considering WV is building out the last section to a freeway, I would assume the heavy car and truck traffic? Also, why would 2 major truck stop chains build on 35 unless the traffic count was there?

Well this is stupid, this whole route is what GPS directs Chicago to North Carolina Traffic and the last bit of US35 need to upgraded into an interstate to bypass the very poorly designed current interstate routing that takes the ridiculously long side of two triangles through Louisville or Cincinnati making the trip 100 miles longer than it needs to be. This corridor is just waiting to become a Dayton-Charleston WV Interstate for Truck Traffic, the last thing it needs is brand new stoplights for Walmarts and ChuckECheese.

Bitmapped

Quote from: captkirk_4 on January 24, 2016, 02:56:51 PM
Quote from: 2trailertrucker on January 16, 2016, 04:15:19 PM

Well this is stupid, this whole route is what GPS directs Chicago to North Carolina Traffic and the last bit of US35 need to upgraded into an interstate to bypass the very poorly designed current interstate routing that takes the ridiculously long side of two triangles through Louisville or Cincinnati making the trip 100 miles longer than it needs to be. This corridor is just waiting to become a Dayton-Charleston WV Interstate for Truck Traffic, the last thing it needs is brand new stoplights for Walmarts and ChuckECheese.

It's not going to become an Interstate or full freeway. WV has been building its new sections with at-grade intersections. There are also a lot of at-grades in Jackson County, OH, some of which would be difficult to remove. I know WV isn't going to spend the money to upgrade to full freeway and I don't see Ohio doing so either.

Gnutella

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 09, 2016, 02:55:46 PM
How many think this will increase congestion rather than decrease it?

They're about to "316" the highway, which is about the worst thing that can be done to traffic flow on a highway aside from reducing the number of lanes. If you've ever been to Georgia, you know exactly what I'm talking about when I use "316" as a verb.

amroad17

This would be a good place to "I-86" US 35.  Build this section just like I-86 in Horseheads, NY--an elevated freeway with the service roads at ground level beside it.  One half-interchange at the west end of it and one half-interchange at the east end of it.  Anyone wanting to go to a location in that area would need to exit before the elevated section. There would be some bridges built to allow drivers to be on one side of US 35 or the other, however, the service roads would be one way just like in Horseheads.  Looking at Google Maps, I believe the footprint would allow this.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Buck87

Ah, so you want to 86 35?  :) 

amroad17

Just like some in Louisville wanted to "86 64." 

A "superstreet" would not be horrible, but not between two freeway sections.  It is only 2-3 miles of non-freeway between Beavercreek and the western Xenia interchange.  ODOT just needs to find a way to make this section a freeway.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

jpi

Not much different then what PennDOT did with US 30 around my home town (York, PA) in the 60's and 70's.  Interstate grade freeway with 4 miles of lights and commercial strip in the middle.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jbnati27

Very disappointing. Having driven this section several times, I know what a bottleneck it is. This may help a little bit, but I can't help to believe this would still be a bottleneck.  :pan: In my opinion, this has needed to be a limited access highway for a long time now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.