News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NY 50 Bypass?

Started by Conn. Roads, May 26, 2016, 02:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conn. Roads

I have heard that an expressway was once planned between Schenectady, and Saratoga. Is there any truth to this? What got this idea tabled, if it truly was in the works?

I live along Route 50 between Ballston Spa, and Saratoga. I have noticed that the traffic through Ballston is worse than ever. The village seems to be a real choke point. One real holdup seems to be drivers making left turns. Southbound into Malta Avenue is bad, as is northbound into Front Street, and Prospect Street. There are no turn arrows, as the road is only wide enough for one lane in each direction. I wonder if they eliminated some on street parking, if there could be two lanes.

vdeane

I do know there were plans to connect the divided highway on NY 50 south of Saratoga Springs and US 9/NY 50 leaving Saratoga Springs on the north side with a divided highway on the old rail right of way (and also with the US 9 divided highway/four lane highway).  It would seem logical that this would be intended to continue south to Schenectady.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Conn. Roads

What I meant was an expressway from Schenectady, to either the Northway, or Saratoga. I just wonder if the brains in the DOT have thought of dusting this one off. The congestion is really bad in Ballston Spa, as it is down through Glenville.

As far as building on the former railroad bed, which were you talking about? Most of the old D&H roadbed is too confined through the city. There have been several buildings build on it. Maybe a trolley bed?

Alps

You're talking about the I-88 extension. It was planned at one point but never really made it beyond that.

Buffaboy

Would be a great idea. If extended into MA it could fill a void.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

froggie

Quote from: AlpsYou're talking about the I-88 extension. It was planned at one point but never really made it beyond that.

No he's not.  He's talking about what was effectively going to be an East Glenville bypass for NY 50, tying into the end of NY 890, with the 4-laning continuing towards Saratoga Springs.

vdeane

Quote from: Conn. Roads on May 26, 2016, 11:06:37 PM
What I meant was an expressway from Schenectady, to either the Northway, or Saratoga. I just wonder if the brains in the DOT have thought of dusting this one off. The congestion is really bad in Ballston Spa, as it is down through Glenville.

As far as building on the former railroad bed, which were you talking about? Most of the old D&H roadbed is too confined through the city. There have been several buildings build on it. Maybe a trolley bed?
It was part of the 1940s arterial plan.  Back then, people were a little more willing to bulldoze to build things.  These days, we don't even have enough money to maintain what we have, so I wouldn't be looking for any more new highways or major widenings any time soon.

And yeah, the plans never got serious.  Many of the arterials were never anything more than a section of law defining a corridor.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: froggie on May 27, 2016, 09:29:12 AM
Quote from: AlpsYou're talking about the I-88 extension. It was planned at one point but never really made it beyond that.

No he's not.  He's talking about what was effectively going to be an East Glenville bypass for NY 50, tying into the end of NY 890, with the 4-laning continuing towards Saratoga Springs.
OK. Didn't know anything else heading northeast from Schdy was ever planned.

Conn. Roads

The comment about connecting to 890 has me wondering if this arterial was to be part of the one which goes from Balltown Road, to 890, crossing Route 5 near Wedekind Pontiac? What was the route to Saratoga, and was it to connect to the Northway?

vdeane

Nope.  That's the Crosstown Arterial, which was always intended to be exactly what it is (though some proposals for I-88 would possibly have upgraded it).  The one here would have met at the junction of NY 890 and NY 5 where NY 890 crosses the Mohawk River and under the Pan Am rail line.  From there, it would travel northeast and connect to the existing divided highway north of Ballston Spa, then west of existing US 9/NY 50 in downtown Saratoga along the abandoned rail line, and then on the NY 50 divided highway connecting downtown Saratoga to the Northway at exit 15.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.