News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Right lane exits, left lane is added

Started by bzakharin, June 06, 2016, 04:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzakharin

Just encountered this again on I-95 in Philly:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0149145,-75.0546647,3a,75y,238.8h,59.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swf-pxM4PiQ1cx7Y02C9htg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1
I know it's a construction zone, but they couldn't bother re-striping it so there are three through lanes here? It's been this way for over a year at least. Is there a legitimate reason for this type of thing in general?

Alps

I have the reverse beef on I-80 EB at Exit 52. The ramp merges in on the right from Passaic Ave., and then just across the bridge, the fourth lane is added... on the left. I get that they don't want to widen the overpass, so it remains a bottleneck, but it would make SO MUCH MORE sense for the new lane to be added on the right - i.e. for the upcoming Exit 53.

bzakharin

In both of these cases, there is a period of two lanes in between. In my case, there are 3 lanes throughout, so it's a simple matter of re-striping the road so that the new lane starts on the right and is exit only. Of course, before the construction started, this was the place where I-95 narrowed from 4 lanes to 3, but since the 4-lane segment is being extended to the Tacony Palmyra Bridge, there is no need to maintain the pretense for the sake of continuity.

roadman

I-93 upper deck in Somerville (MA) - right lane exits at Exit 28 (Sullivan Square) then a left lane enters from Leverett Connector ramp.  Roadway is 4 lanes approaching Exit 28 and after ramp from Exit 26, but is 3 lanes in between.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.