Google Maps Edit Requests (Map Maker now closed as of 03/31/17)

Started by TrevorB, June 22, 2016, 09:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Matté

Quote from: kphoger on July 29, 2016, 12:25:14 PM
Quote from: dgolub on July 29, 2016, 09:01:17 AM
I've had a number of edit requests denied despite being correct.  If I provide links to government documents showing that I'm correct, the reviewers generally either just ignore me or say that their sources show they're right without giving any explanation of what those sources are.  Here are some of my edits that were denied:

Sounds like Rand McNally.  I once sent several corrections to them, and the only ones that got changed were the ones I provided satellite imagery or street-view links for.  The ones where I dug up the actual project information didn't get changed till years later.

What do you expect from a place where the water drains clockwise, they wear hats on their feet, and hamburgers eat people?

(U-R-Guay hahahaha!)

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

briantroutman

Quote from: briantroutman on July 21, 2016, 02:46:25 PM
For some reason, I-80 in Pennsylvania is labeled "Christopher Columbus Highway" . Apparently, it is designated as that in Ohio and New Jersey (although I don't recall seeing signs, to be honest), although it is definitely not that in PA. If anything, it's the Z.H. Confair Memorial Highway or the Keystone Shortway.

No one has responded to my edit request, so I decided to check into the process of making edits myself. If I use the Segment Selector and click anywhere on I-80, it selects a roughly quarter-mile section on one side. If I then click on the Edit drop-down menu, I have the option to Edit this Segment, Edit Entire Interstate 80, or Edit Entire Christopher Columbus Highway. The trouble is, if I select Edit Entire Christopher Columbus Highway, I presume that will also affect the sections in Ohio and New Jersey which are designated as such (even though they're not conspicuously labeled to that effect in those states).

How can I edit I-80 just within the borders of Pennsylvania (but without doing so segment-by-segment)? I read that edits may be subject to a regional moderator–so should I just find the regional mod and ask him/her to make the change?

TrevorB

Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 28, 2016, 02:55:50 PM
The northbound lanes here ain't showing up still:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7222704,-86.5851667,19z?hl=en

Sorry, missed this yesterday. Corrected.

Quote from: CYoder on July 29, 2016, 08:42:00 AM
Quote from: TrevorB on July 28, 2016, 10:28:04 PM
Quote from: CYoder on July 28, 2016, 10:19:33 AM
This segment of TN 394 is part divided, part 5-lane, and was once marked yellow.  Not sure when it got downgraded to white.  (Can't recall if the continuation of 394 to US 11W was originally marked yellow or not.)
It's labeled as a Major Artery, which is correct for that stretch.
Thanks for looking into it.  Just curious, wouldn't the stretch between US 11E and US 421 be classified as an expressway?  Divided median, few intersections, 55 MPH most of the way?

In Google's terms, an expressway has no at-grade intersections, so no.

I've had a number of edit requests denied despite being correct.  If I provide links to government documents showing that I'm correct, the reviewers generally either just ignore me or say that their sources show they're right without giving any explanation of what those sources are.  Here are some of my edits that were denied:

https://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=55&editids=5WGamKzbWUWNG6N2AE
https://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=55&editids=5WGamKzHArPjV4-L5r
https://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=55&editids=5WGamKzqQqiamxKjXx
https://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=55&editids=5WGamKzfZBlFd4aUcr

I've found Google's reviewers to be quite finicky. It's not showing me your edits that were denied, but if you let me know what needs to be done to each, I will happily edit them for you.

Quote from: SD Mapman on July 29, 2016, 01:43:03 PM
Quote from: TrevorB on July 28, 2016, 10:28:04 PM
Quote from: SD Mapman on July 28, 2016, 12:19:27 PM
Additionally, there are numerous data corrections (no auto traffic-ing roads through lakes and roads through private fields, new roads, fixed road names, etc.) throughout the whole of Crook County WY (mainly near Pine Haven and Keyhole) and in northern Lawrence County SD.

Approved all of the ones I could find. Let me know if I missed any.

There's a few more name fixes near Spearfish (N Tinton Rd, Tom Ct, 100th St, Beaver Oaks Pl, Voorhees Ln), one more road that doesn't actually exist in Keyhole Reservoir, a lake that is a field near McNenny SFH (the deletion needs to be approved), and an edit to extend the WY 113 markings into Pine Haven itself (to Lakeview Dr).

There's also a new development called the Timbers, but I can't find where those edits were.

Many of these aren't showing up for me. If you don't mind, link to the specific edits by clicking your pending edit and grabbing the link from the chain button on the top left. I can approve them easier that way.

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 29, 2016, 04:36:30 PM
VA 409 is no longer on any part of Providence Road (it was decommissioned in 2001 - there is actually a different VA 409 located here on G.W. King Blvd).

I think I removed all of 409. Let me know if I missed a spot or two.

Quote from: briantroutman on July 29, 2016, 05:23:54 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on July 21, 2016, 02:46:25 PM
For some reason, I-80 in Pennsylvania is labeled "Christopher Columbus Highway" . Apparently, it is designated as that in Ohio and New Jersey (although I don't recall seeing signs, to be honest), although it is definitely not that in PA. If anything, it's the Z.H. Confair Memorial Highway or the Keystone Shortway.

No one has responded to my edit request, so I decided to check into the process of making edits myself. If I use the Segment Selector and click anywhere on I-80, it selects a roughly quarter-mile section on one side. If I then click on the Edit drop-down menu, I have the option to Edit this Segment, Edit Entire Interstate 80, or Edit Entire Christopher Columbus Highway. The trouble is, if I select Edit Entire Christopher Columbus Highway, I presume that will also affect the sections in Ohio and New Jersey which are designated as such (even though they're not conspicuously labeled to that effect in those states).

How can I edit I-80 just within the borders of Pennsylvania (but without doing so segment-by-segment)? I read that edits may be subject to a regional moderator–so should I just find the regional mod and ask him/her to make the change?

Sorry I missed your edit before. As you can tell there are quite a few of them! I am a regional moderator (regional lead = regional moderator). Upon investigation, the problem is much bigger than just Pennsylvania.

When editing a route name, a blue box appears outlining the length of the route. When I clicked "Christopher Columbus Highway", I got this:

Yep, Google has I-80 designated as Christopher Columbus Highway from COAST to COAST.

From my research, it is only named such in New Jersey. To be honest, I've never delt with anything this big before. I'll have to figure out how to fix this and go from there.

cjw2001

You have a few choices as to how to deal with this.

1.  Use report an issue on a segment and hope for the best for Google to fix it.  May take a very long time and may not happen at all.

2.  Use edit, select road segments to select large sections of the incorrectly named road, choose edit names, then remove from all by the incorrect name.  You could do this one state at a time.   When you use the select segments tool you can select one segment, then drag the green icon on the end to a distant point to select multiple segments at once.   Keep in mind that it uses navigation logic to do the segment selecting, so always go with the flow (with the one way status of the road for moving point B).  You would need to do for one side of the road, then repeat for the opposite site.   This will likely require google moderation so after submitting the change be sure to use add a comment on the edit to explain what you are doing and why in detail.

Here's a blog post by another experienced mapper that does a good job of explaining how to rename roads. 

TrevorB

Yeah, but Map Maker won't allow me to select more than about a couple of mile's worth of road before throwing an error. That's gonna take quite a while.

rickmastfan67

Sounds like Rand McNally.  I once sent several corrections to them, and the only ones that got changed were the ones I provided satellite imagery or street-view links for.  The ones where I dug up the actual project information didn't get changed till years later.

Ha, I've had them completely ignore StreetView evidence as well when it was clear as day.

dgolub

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 29, 2016, 11:08:31 PM

Ha, I've had them completely ignore StreetView evidence as well when it was clear as day.

Yep, same here.

dgolub

OK, I did an audit of the county route network for Suffolk County, New York, since I know the county routes there better than for any other county. Here's what I found:

* CR 1 ends at Joyce Avenue. The section of County Line Road north of Joyce Avenue is not a county route.
* CR 3 has its southern terminus at New York Avenue, just south of NY 27. The section of Wellwood Avenue south of NY 27 is not a county route.
* CR 14 extends along Indian Head Road from NY 25 to NY 25A. Harned Road south of NY 25 is not a county route.
* Maple Avenue in Smithtown is incorrectly marked as CR 15. It is not a county route.
* A parking lot just north of the western terminus of CR 16 at NY 25 is incorrectly marked as CR 16.
* The section of Yaphank Avenue south of NY 27 should be marked as CR 21, but it is not. Also, it is incorrectly marked as a one-way street. It is actually two-way, but motorists are forced to turn around at the end and can't get onto NY 27.
* Manor Lane and South Jamesport Avenue are incorrectly marked as CR 22. It is not a county route.
* Church Lane is incorrectly marked as CR 23. It is not a county route.
* Longwood Road is incorrectly marked as CR 24. It is not a county route.
* New Suffolk Avenue and New Suffolk Road are incorrectly marked as CR 26. It is not a county route.
* East Lake Drive in Montauk is incorrectly marked as CR 30. It is not a county route.
* Ponquogue Avenue in Hampton Bays is incorrectly marked as CR 32. It is not a county route. Only the Ponquogue Bridge is CR 32.
* Cranberry Hole Road and Napeague Meadow Road are incorrectly marked as CR 33. It is not a county route.
* Manwaring Road on Shelter Island is incorrectly marked as CR 37. It is not a county route.
* Old Stone Highway and Hog Creek Road are incorrectly marked as CR 45. It is not a county route.
* The William Floyd Parkway is designated CR 46, but no route number is shown for it.
* Two Holes of Water Road is not part of CR 59. CR 59 only includes Long Lane.
* Only the section of Waverly Avenue between CR 19 and CR 99 is designated CR 61. The section north of CR 99 is not a county route.
* The section of Newtown Road north of Sunset Avenue is not part of CR 62. CR 62 begins at Montauk Highway (CR 80), follows Newtown Road north to Sunset Avenue, turns right onto Sunset Avenue, and follows it to a dead end along the Shinnecock Canal.
* CR 63 extends north along Peconic Avenue across the Peconic River to end at NY 25 in Riverhead, but no route number is shown on Peconic Avenue.
* Station Road, Bellport Road, and Mill Road are incorrectly marked as CR 64. It is not a county route.
* Old West Lake Drive in Montauk is incorrectly marked as CR 70. It is not a county route.
* Abrahams Landing Road is incorrectly marked as CR 74. It is not a county route.
* CR 76 ends at Nichols Road. The section of Townline Road east of Nichols Road is not a county route.
* Chruch Street is incorrectly marked as CR 78. It is not a county route.
* CR 79 ends at Brick Kiln Road. The section of Main Street north of Brick Kiln Road is not a county route.
* The section of Montauk Highway/Main Street in Patchogue between CR 19 and Bay Avenue, two blocks east of NY 112, is incorrectly marked as CR 80. It is not a county route (unfortunately). CR 80 begins at Bay Avenue.
* East Mill Road in Mattituck is incorrectly marked as CR 84. It is not a county route.
* Little Neck Road in Centerport is incorrectly marked as CR 86. It is not a county route. CR 86 follows Broadway Greenlawn and Centerport Road from NY 25 to NY 25A.
* Speonk-Riverhead Road is incorrectly marked as CR 88. It is not a county route.
* Only a short section of CR 89 in the vicinity of Jessup lane is designated CR 89. The remainder is not a county route.
* CR 92 should include the full length of Oakwood Road and then cut east on High Street to end at NY 110. Right now, it only is only marked on a small portion of Oakwood Road.
* The section of Ocean Avenue south of Lakeland Avenue is incorrectly marked as CR 93. It is not a county route. CR 93 follows Lakeland Avenue, Ocean Avenue, and Rosevale Avenue from NY 27 to CR 16.
* The section of Suffolk Avenue west of CR 13 is incorrectly marked as CR 100. It is not a county route. CR 100 extends from CR 13 to NY 454.

I apologize for the long list, but there was a lot of stuff.  If you wish to verify the correctness of these changes, I have an official listing of the county route network that I obtained from NYSDOT available on my web site at http://www.greaternyroads.info/pdfs/sufflhi.pdf.  You can also find other documents with the same information on the NYSDOT web site as well.

TrevorB

Quote from: dgolub on July 30, 2016, 11:50:44 AM
OK, I did an audit of the county route network for Suffolk County, New York, since I know the county routes there better than for any other county. Here's what I found:

:crazy: :crazy:

Just kidding, here we go...

Quote* CR 1 ends at Joyce Avenue. The section of County Line Road north of Joyce Avenue is not a county route.

Done.

Quote* CR 3 has its southern terminus at New York Avenue, just south of NY 27. The section of Wellwood Avenue south of NY 27 is not a county route.

Think I got all of CR 3 that was supposed to be removed, but I may have missed a spot.

Quote* CR 14 extends along Indian Head Road from NY 25 to NY 25A. Harned Road south of NY 25 is not a county route.

There was a gap in CR 14 between Somers Lane and Bruce Lane that I connected. CR 14 had already been removed south of NY 25 when I checked, but it may take some time to appear correctly on the map.

Quote* Maple Avenue in Smithtown is incorrectly marked as CR 15. It is not a county route.

This one was also already removed when I checked.

Quote* A parking lot just north of the western terminus of CR 16 at NY 25 is incorrectly marked as CR 16.

Removed successfully.

Quote* The section of Yaphank Avenue south of NY 27 should be marked as CR 21, but it is not. Also, it is incorrectly marked as a one-way street. It is actually two-way, but motorists are forced to turn around at the end and can't get onto NY 27.

Correctly removed the one-way, but Map Maker has an error right now that doesn't allow any of us to add new numbered routes to segments.

Quote* Manor Lane and South Jamesport Avenue are incorrectly marked as CR 22. It is not a county route.

Removed CR 22.

Quote* Church Lane is incorrectly marked as CR 23. It is not a county route.

CR 23 was already removed when I checked. Sometimes it takes a while for numbered routes to disappear when they are removed.

Quote* Longwood Road is incorrectly marked as CR 24. It is not a county route.

Again, already removed.

Quote* New Suffolk Avenue and New Suffolk Road are incorrectly marked as CR 26. It is not a county route.

Removed CR 26 successfully.

Quote* East Lake Drive in Montauk is incorrectly marked as CR 30. It is not a county route.

CR 30 was already removed.

Quote* Ponquogue Avenue in Hampton Bays is incorrectly marked as CR 32. It is not a county route. Only the Ponquogue Bridge is CR 32.

Removed CR 32 from Ponquogue Ave.

Quote* Cranberry Hole Road and Napeague Meadow Road are incorrectly marked as CR 33. It is not a county route.

CR 33 was already removed.

Quote* Manwaring Road on Shelter Island is incorrectly marked as CR 37. It is not a county route.

CR 37 was already removed.

Quote* Old Stone Highway and Hog Creek Road are incorrectly marked as CR 45. It is not a county route.

Removed CR 45 successfully.

Quote* The William Floyd Parkway is designated CR 46, but no route number is shown for it.

Again, unfortunately, we can't currently add new route numbers to existing segments. This is a known issue, but if any other Map Makers know of a work-around, let me know.

Quote* Two Holes of Water Road is not part of CR 59. CR 59 only includes Long Lane.

Removed CR 59 from Two Holes Water Road.

Quote* Only the section of Waverly Avenue between CR 19 and CR 99 is designated CR 61. The section north of CR 99 is not a county route.

I think I fixed it correctly. 61 wasn't labeled south of 99 and north of 19, so I added it. I then removed 61 from Waverly north of it's intersection with Patchouge-Holbrook.

Quote* The section of Newtown Road north of Sunset Avenue is not part of CR 62. CR 62 begins at Montauk Highway (CR 80), follows Newtown Road north to Sunset Avenue, turns right onto Sunset Avenue, and follows it to a dead end along the Shinnecock Canal.

Removed CR 62 from that section of Newtown Road, then added it to Sunset Avenue.

Quote* CR 63 extends north along Peconic Avenue across the Peconic River to end at NY 25 in Riverhead, but no route number is shown on Peconic Avenue.

Extended 63 north to 25, but this edit got sent to Google for further review. I'll check the status.

Quote* Station Road, Bellport Road, and Mill Road are incorrectly marked as CR 64. It is not a county route.

Removed CR 64 successfully.

Quote* Old West Lake Drive in Montauk is incorrectly marked as CR 70. It is not a county route.

CR 70 has already been removed.

Quote* Abrahams Landing Road is incorrectly marked as CR 74. It is not a county route.

Already done.

Quote* CR 76 ends at Nichols Road. The section of Townline Road east of Nichols Road is not a county route.

Removed 76 east of Nichols.

Quote* Chruch Street is incorrectly marked as CR 78. It is not a county route.

Removed CR 78.

Quote* CR 79 ends at Brick Kiln Road. The section of Main Street north of Brick Kiln Road is not a county route.

Removed 79 north of Brick Kiln.

Quote* The section of Montauk Highway/Main Street in Patchogue between CR 19 and Bay Avenue, two blocks east of NY 112, is incorrectly marked as CR 80. It is not a county route (unfortunately). CR 80 begins at Bay Avenue.

Removed CR 80 between 19 and Bay.

Quote* East Mill Road in Mattituck is incorrectly marked as CR 84. It is not a county route.

Removed 84 from E Mill Road.

Quote* Little Neck Road in Centerport is incorrectly marked as CR 86. It is not a county route. CR 86 follows Broadway Greenlawn and Centerport Road from NY 25 to NY 25A.

Removed 86 from Little Neck Road north of 25A.

Quote* Speonk-Riverhead Road is incorrectly marked as CR 88. It is not a county route.

Removed CR 88.

Quote* Only a short section of CR 89 in the vicinity of Jessup lane is designated CR 89. The remainder is not a county route.

I left about a half of a mile on each side of Jessup Lane, and removed the rest.

Quote* CR 92 should include the full length of Oakwood Road and then cut east on High Street to end at NY 110. Right now, it only is only marked on a small portion of Oakwood Road.

Extended CR 92 along the whole length of Oakwood and then onto High to 110.

Quote* The section of Ocean Avenue south of Lakeland Avenue is incorrectly marked as CR 93. It is not a county route. CR 93 follows Lakeland Avenue, Ocean Avenue, and Rosevale Avenue from NY 27 to CR 16.

Removed 93 from Ocean south of Lakeland. Also extended 93 along Ocean Ave between Lakeland and Rosevale, where it was missing.

Quote* The section of Suffolk Avenue west of CR 13 is incorrectly marked as CR 100. It is not a county route. CR 100 extends from CR 13 to NY 454.

Removed 100 from Suffolk west of 13.

QuoteI apologize for the long list, but there was a lot of stuff.  If you wish to verify the correctness of these changes, I have an official listing of the county route network that I obtained from NYSDOT available on my web site at http://www.greaternyroads.info/pdfs/sufflhi.pdf.  You can also find other documents with the same information on the NYSDOT web site as well.

:cool:

cjw2001

Instead of handing out fish it may be time to teach how to fish.   You can make your own edits at https://www.google.com/mapmaker.   Take time to read the help notes and come back here to ask questions on how to do things.   Mapmaker is a bit complex and there is some learning curve, but I'm sure the regional leads that are following this thread will be happy to provide assistance.

A good place to learn the basics is by mapping unmapped commercial parking areas (shopping centers and the like).   A good tutorial here.

TrevorB

It's something I enjoy doing, and some people perhaps don't want to take the time to sign up, make the edit, and then wait forever for it to be approved. I included a link to Map Maker at the beginning of this thread in the event anyone wants to edit themselves, which some have. Otherwise, I don't mind at all making the edits.

briantroutman

Quote from: TrevorB on July 29, 2016, 06:05:18 PM
Yep, Google has I-80 designated as Christopher Columbus Highway from COAST to COAST.

From my research, it is only named such in New Jersey. To be honest, I've never delt with anything this big before. I'll have to figure out how to fix this and go from there.

Thanks for getting back to me. Apparently Ohio designated I-80 under that name, too. But I've driven the entire length of I-80 in both NJ and OH several times, and I can't recall a single instance where "Christopher Columbus Highway"  was signed. Ironically, the only such sign I recall ever seeing is on I-10 in Santa Monica–as I-10 is designated as the "Christopher Columbus Transcontinental Highway"  though no one refers to it by that name.

Anyway, if I-80 isn't signed as anything other than I-80, wouldn't that be a rationale for deleting the extraneous name altogether, including the sections in OH and NJ? I'm not sure how the data gets populated in various apps and devices, but if people are being directed to "Take exit 116A for Christopher Columbus Highway"  with a small 80 shield in the corner, that's bound to lead to pointless confusion.

TrevorB

As a temporary fix, at least so it won't read out "Christopher Columbus Highway", I changed the name to type Local instead of Primary.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: cjw2001 on July 30, 2016, 01:49:29 PM
Instead of handing out fish it may be time to teach how to fish.   You can make your own edits at https://www.google.com/mapmaker.   Take time to read the help notes and come back here to ask questions on how to do things.   Mapmaker is a bit complex and there is some learning curve, but I'm sure the regional leads that are following this thread will be happy to provide assistance.

A good place to learn the basics is by mapping unmapped commercial parking areas (shopping centers and the like).   A good tutorial here.

The problem with Mapmaker is that it's so cumbersome to use especially if you are a new user. Going back to the NC I-795 example from before, the exit ramp that exists in aerial imagery seems like a perfectly logical addition, but I, as a newbie, can't complete because it crosses an existing road. Even legitimate edits to roads by someone who lives in the area seems to get reverted, I mean, "Please kindly undo your edit," by some guy in India just by a flip of the coin.

dgolub

Quote from: Mr. Matté on July 30, 2016, 03:17:35 PM
The problem with Mapmaker is that it's so cumbersome to use especially if you are a new user. Going back to the NC I-795 example from before, the exit ramp that exists in aerial imagery seems like a perfectly logical addition, but I, as a newbie, can't complete because it crosses an existing road. Even legitimate edits to roads by someone who lives in the area seems to get reverted, I mean, "Please kindly undo your edit," by some guy in India just by a flip of the coin.

Yeah, this is the problem.  I've used Google Map Maker in the past, but a lot of the reviewers quite frankly don't know what they're talking about and don't want to be bothered with checking against the appropriate sources.

TrevorB

That's exactly why I made this thread. Before becoming a Regional Lead a few months ago, I had to go through the same mess with getting reviewers that had no idea about the area and simply denied edits with a canned response. I figured I'd help some others out and actually either perform necessary edits or do some simple research and approve where appropriate.

cjw2001

Quote from: TrevorB on July 30, 2016, 01:52:30 PM
It's something I enjoy doing, and some people perhaps don't want to take the time to sign up, make the edit, and then wait forever for it to be approved. I included a link to Map Maker at the beginning of this thread in the event anyone wants to edit themselves, which some have. Otherwise, I don't mind at all making the edits.

I wasn't implying that you were doing anything wrong - just thought I'd pass on some info for those that are interested in doing lots of changes.    And they can paste links here for anything they need approval help on. 

cjw2001

Actually per Google's definition, a freeway has no at-grade intersections.  An expressway can have a few (but very limited) at grade intersections. 

mrsman

Thank you Trevor and cjw (and any other google leaders who may be reading) for this post.  Many of us definitely have complained of the inaccuracies with google maps and you've provided a great service.  I anticipate that a lot of people will submit to this thread in the future.

Mods: Please keep an eye on this thread.  I believe that the work Trevor and cjw are doing is so important that it may merit a sticky.  A thread like this can easily get lost amongst the many threads in the "General" group and there are plenty of people on here who complain about google maps.  Like it or not it is the most used mapping source today (more than online competitors and even some of the paper maps, unless you want historical information) and we can provide a great service to the public if we use our knowledge base to help make it more accurate.

TrevorB

Quote from: cjw2001 on July 30, 2016, 08:39:20 PM
Quote from: TrevorB on July 30, 2016, 01:52:30 PM

I wasn't implying that you were doing anything wrong - just thought I'd pass on some info for those that are interested in doing lots of changes.    And they can paste links here for anything they need approval help on. 

No, I understand. You're good.

Quote from: cjw2001 on July 30, 2016, 08:44:30 PM

Actually per Google's definition, a freeway has no at-grade intersections.  An expressway can have a few (but very limited) at grade intersections. 

You're right, always get those confused. That one may qualify then.

Quote from: mrsman on July 31, 2016, 10:37:03 AM
Thank you Trevor and cjw (and any other google leaders who may be reading) for this post.  Many of us definitely have complained of the inaccuracies with google maps and you've provided a great service.  I anticipate that a lot of people will submit to this thread in the future.

Mods: Please keep an eye on this thread.  I believe that the work Trevor and cjw are doing is so important that it may merit a sticky.  A thread like this can easily get lost amongst the many threads in the "General" group and there are plenty of people on here who complain about google maps.  Like it or not it is the most used mapping source today (more than online competitors and even some of the paper maps, unless you want historical information) and we can provide a great service to the public if we use our knowledge base to help make it more accurate.

Glad we could help. Haven't seen any public threads like this for people who may not be familiar with or know how to use Map Maker. Even if they do, the review process for normal users is painstaking, as some may know.

Thing 342

These seemed to pass by without a mention, so I'm going to bring them up again.

Quote from: Thing 342 on July 19, 2016, 09:43:59 PM
The MLK Freeway extension (freeway south of VA-141)  in Portsmouth, VA is shown as being open, when it is currently 3+ months from completion: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8331893,-76.3239879,14.75z
VA-199 isn't a freeway between VA-5 (John Tyler Hwy) and SR-637 (Quarterpath Rd).

The MLK Freeway portion is especially important, as I know quite a few people who have gotten lost in Portsmouth b/c GMaps told them that the road was open

TrevorB

Both are done but are sent off for Google moderation.

WillWeaverRVA

More ghosts of decommissioned routes haunting Virginia Beach:

VA 408 is not on First Colonial Road between VA 279 and I-264 anymore. This route also carries a SR 615 shield that needs to be removed...but there's a bunch of old secondary routes that are labeled on Google Maps despite not existing, and that's gonna take more time for me to list.

As for SR 615, it needs to be removed from First Colonial Road, Oceana Blvd, General Booth Blvd, and Princess Anne Rd (all the way to the NC border).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

TrevorB

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on July 31, 2016, 08:57:35 PM
More ghosts of decommissioned routes haunting Virginia Beach:

VA 408 is not on First Colonial Road between VA 279 and I-264 anymore. This route also carries a SR 615 shield that needs to be removed...but there's a bunch of old secondary routes that are labeled on Google Maps despite not existing, and that's gonna take more time for me to list.

As for SR 615, it needs to be removed from First Colonial Road, Oceana Blvd, General Booth Blvd, and Princess Anne Rd (all the way to the NC border).

Done, done, and done.

Quote from: TrevorB on July 30, 2016, 01:16:38 PM
Quote from: dgolub on July 30, 2016, 11:50:44 AM

* CR 63 extends north along Peconic Avenue across the Peconic River to end at NY 25 in Riverhead, but no route number is shown on Peconic Avenue.

Extended 63 north to 25, but this edit got sent to Google for further review. I'll check the status.

Approved.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.