News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-94 widening

Started by _Demote, July 19, 2016, 02:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Demote

The stretch of I-94 from Benton Harbor Michigan to Ann Arbor Michigan is only 2 lanes wide. If anyone has traveled this stretch of I-94, they probably agree that there is too much traffic for 2 lanes. I think that they should make it 3 lanes. I would love to hear your opinions about this topic :biggrin:.
Interstates Traveled: 80, 90, 190, 290, 294, 94, 194, 96, 196, 75, 275, 69, 469, 65, 465, 165, 565, 55, 40, 640, 17, 10, 110, 610, 5, 405, 11, 71, 24, 20, 12, and 59.

rawmustard

Quote from: _Demote on July 19, 2016, 02:57:54 AM
The stretch of I-94 from Benton Harbor Michigan to Ann Arbor Michigan is only 2 lanes wide. If anyone has traveled this stretch of I-94, they probably agree that there is too much traffic for 2 lanes. I think that they should make it 3 lanes. I would love to hear your opinions about this topic :biggrin:.

It's an oft-discussed topic. MDOT just simply doesn't have the funding to widen except in certain spots. The parts which have been able to be widened (Portage, west of Ann Arbor) are helpful. At least any bridge reconstructions take six-laning into account, even though no one has any idea on when that will be.

mvak36

Long term, I think I-94 from Madison, WI all the way to Ann Arbor, MI should be three lanes. I'm not sure how much work that would mean for each of the respective states. And there is that lane drop on the Edens spur as discussed on the other thread.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: mvak36 on July 19, 2016, 10:01:15 AM
Long term, I think I-94 from Madison, WI all the way to Ann Arbor, MI should be three lanes. I'm not sure how much work that would mean for each of the respective states. And there is that lane drop on the Edens spur as discussed on the other thread.
Just move on to I-294 the main flow.

mvak36

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on July 19, 2016, 01:41:15 PM
Just move on to I-294 the main flow.

Yes, you are right. Totally forgot about that.

hobsini2

Long term, I agree with mvak. 6 lanes from Madison to Ann Arbor and Detroit. In the short term, I could see 6 lanes on 94 from Kalamazoo to I-69 since that is the direct way to get to Lansing. Politicians don't think much about it until it affects them.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

captkirk_4

Quote from: hobsini2 on July 21, 2016, 03:00:26 PM
Long term, I agree with mvak. 6 lanes from Madison to Ann Arbor and Detroit. In the short term, I could see 6 lanes on 94 from Kalamazoo to I-69 since that is the direct way to get to Lansing. Politicians don't think much about it until it affects them.

Once you turn north onto I69 there is very little traffic, but I94 from Benton Harbor to I69 is a sardine can. Worst is when one truck decides to pass another truck at 1/10th of a mph faster speed and a whole column of traffic in the left lane waits 5 minutes for the truck to finish the pass. Are their engines that weak they can't pass any quicker? Or do the companies have some kind of regulator maximizing their top speed?

mvak36

Quote from: captkirk_4 on July 22, 2016, 09:38:48 AM
Once you turn north onto I69 there is very little traffic, but I94 from Benton Harbor to I69 is a sardine can. Worst is when one truck decides to pass another truck at 1/10th of a mph faster speed and a whole column of traffic in the left lane waits 5 minutes for the truck to finish the pass. Are their engines that weak they can't pass any quicker? Or do the companies have some kind of regulator maximizing their top speed?

If I had a nickel for every time I've seen that on I-70 between KC and STL.......

dfwmapper

Quote from: captkirk_4 on July 22, 2016, 09:38:48 AM
The latter. Like every other modern vehicle, trucks have a computer that controls just about everything, and many of them have a speed limiter available as an option. Whoever is paying for fuel will often set that to 65 or 70mph just to cut down on the costs, because large trucks are even worse than cars when it comes to loss of fuel efficiency as speed increases. If your car used 1/3 more fuel going 75 than it did 65, you'd probably do it too.

JREwing78

I-94 definitely warrants 6-laning.  I would elect to widen it from Kalamazoo to I-69 and Jackson to Ann Arbor first, then widen the Benton Harbor to Kalamazoo stretch and I-69 to Jackson stretch afterwards.

I-96 between Grand Rapids and Howell warrants it too, though the heaver truck traffic on I-94 would seem to dictate the priority of which sections get widened first.

I'd gladly pay an extra 10-20 cents in gas tax to get it done.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.