Change "Pacific" board to "California"

Started by Alps, August 02, 2016, 08:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

95%+ of the posts are California specific. Given the light traffic of the Northwest board, would it make sense to merge Nevada and Hawaii in and call it West?

hotdogPi

Support per OP. By both number of threads and number of replies, California in one section and everything else in another is a more even split than the way it currently is.

Comment – Where does western West Virginia go?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

7/8

Quote from: 1 on August 02, 2016, 08:22:16 PM
Comment – Where does western West Virginia go?

I would've thought Ohio Valley, but I see the description says Central WV. Maybe the description could be changed to western WV?

I also think a California board makes sense.

noelbotevera

Yeah, I second this.

I was thinking that Western WV should be in Ohio Valley.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

national highway 1

Quote from: Alps on August 02, 2016, 08:09:05 PM
95%+ of the posts are California specific. Given the light traffic of the Northwest board, would it make sense to merge Nevada and Hawaii in and call it West?
The large numbers of California posts are largely contributed by ACSCmapcollector who simply cannot be bothered doing his own online research and feels the need to ask so many questions about Californian highways so much that he ends up clogging the Pacific Southwest board with multiple threads.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: national highway 1 on August 03, 2016, 08:22:05 AM
The large numbers of California posts are largely contributed by ACSCmapcollector who simply cannot be bothered doing his own online research and feels the need to ask so many questions about Californian highways so much that he ends up clogging the Pacific Southwest board with multiple threads.

He's even done it with conversations he's been a part of that answered his question previously.  That whole wriggamoral with CA 245 is a perfect example.  The guy is pretty harmless but it does get frustrating having valid discussions buried because he doesn't do his research.  For what it's worth it looks like the Mods have been closing his threads lately if they are duplicates and referring him to the pre-existing one.  But just in general I think that Nevada would be better in the mountain west board, seems like the conversation there is about 80% Arizona.

kkt

I think a California board would make sense, but I'm not sure where Nevada and Hawaii would go.  I guess Nevada to Mountain West, not sure about Hawaii.

I read the California board, but if there are posts in the Northwest board I'll read them first.

Could we discuss West Virginia's split in a different thread?  And personalities?  There have always been a lot of posts about California.  Big state.

empirestate

Nevada could fit as well with Mountain West as with Pacific. Hawaii, along with Alaska and the territories, could even go into a separate category for non-conterminous areas of the U.S.

iPhone

hbelkins

With West Virginia, I think you get some of the same arguments as with Ohio and Indiana -- as in, where do you divide the state? Obviously the eastern panhandle belongs with Maryland and DC, and Huntington, Charleston, Parkersburg and Wheeling very logically could go into Ohio Valley, but what about Greenbrier County? Green Bank? Elkins? (Well, judging from some of the feedback I get, people have a pretty good idea where I should go. LOL) Should everything west of the ECD go into Ohio Valley and everything east go into Mid-Atlantic?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Quote95%+ of the posts are California specific. Given the light traffic of the Northwest board, would it make sense to merge Nevada and Hawaii in and call it West?

By that rationale, whomever created the "Great Lakes Roads" Facebook group should rename it "Michigan Roads"...

Back on the subject, there was a thread a few years ago where the subject of the regional boards and how the states were split was brought up, and California got mentioned a couple times.  I also know it had been discussed on earlier threads before that.

kkt

California could even be split Norcal and Socal and it would be okay with me, except the line is a bit fuzzy.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on August 03, 2016, 12:27:15 PM
California could even be split Norcal and Socal and it would be okay with me, except the line is a bit fuzzy.

The problem you run into there is that is no "book" definition that everyone abides by for which is which.  A lot people go by the Automobile Club maps while I kind of look at it more as something like CA 152.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 03, 2016, 12:52:08 PM
Quote from: kkt on August 03, 2016, 12:27:15 PM

The problem you run into there is that is no "book" definition that everyone abides by for which is which.  A lot people go by the Automobile Club maps while I kind of look at it more as something like CA 152.

If California is split into two, then Northeast should be split into New England and the rest.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Alps

Quote from: national highway 1 on August 03, 2016, 08:22:05 AM
I counted back 30 non-Presnal threads. There are 4 Nevada threads and 26 California threads. Hawaii doesn't exist.

Quillz

What about combining Alaska and Hawaii into a "Non-Continental" forum, which could also include American Samoa, Puerto Rico, and other US territories? Then Nevada could be moved into the Northwest forum, and have California as its own forum.

jeffandnicole

We're also dealing with the 3rd largest state and most populated state in the US.  Moving Nevada and Hawaii to other boards aren't going to make them any more talked about - there are very few members here living in those states.  I believe our resident Hawaii member moved many years ago (unless he's just not as active).   Nevada, relatively speaking, is kinda boring road-wise (unless you're in the Vegas area) and again, not too many members living there. 

jakeroot

Here's how I'd do it:

- California gets its own board
- merge Nevada in with Mountain West
- merge Hawaii in with Northwest, change board to "Northwest and Pacific" or "Pacific/Northwest".

briantroutman

I don't see tremendous value in the regional sub-boards anyway. For example, I'm interested in following PA-related topics, but the state is split between the Northeastern and Ohio Valley boards, plus anything on I-70 or I-83 just over the border in Maryland is on yet a third board.

For the most part, I'll look at the Recent Posts section to see if anything catches my eye, then I'll check out "Show new replies to your posts" . From time to time, I'll take a look at some of the more relevant regional boards.

That said, I think Nevada fits into the California board better than any other. Most of the road-related news takes place in the populated areas within a few dozen miles of the CA border or along the Interstates (15, 80) that funnel traffic to California's two major metropolitan areas. AAA has long combined CA/NV as one TourBook, and I think the reasons are obvious. Similarly, I think CA/NV should be on one board.

Hawaii is an anomaly with relatively few miles of roads and not much to discuss, and the CA/NV board is probably the most logical place for it to be.

empirestate

I ought to point out that my having suggested how groups could be rearranged doesn't mean I think they should be. I almost never search for posts that way anyhow.

iPhone

kkt

I'm not sure it would be worth changing.  Lots of work for someone to go through all the threads and moved them as appropriate, and as posted California dominates the Pacific Southwest board anyway.

mrsman

I believe that no state should be divided into different boards. I also believe that the northeastern board is so large that it probably should be divided into two.  As far as the topic on hand, yes CA does dominate Pac SW, but it's also the largest state in the region. There is enough NV talk within the board to justify it remaining a board for multiple states.

empirestate

I agree that Las Vegas makes sense in the same group as Los Angeles, however the rest of the state may or may ot be allocated. (I could even see arguments for including Phoenix and the like, too.)

Pink Jazz

Sorry to bump, but what about putting California in its own forum, and creating these two new forums:
  • Desert Southwest - Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico
  • Non-Continental U.S. - Alaska, Hawaii, and U.S. Territories

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ET21

Quote from: jakeroot on August 04, 2016, 01:53:51 PM
Here's how I'd do it:

- California gets its own board
- merge Nevada in with Mountain West
- merge Hawaii in with Northwest, change board to "Northwest and Pacific" or "Pacific/Northwest".

I second this
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.