News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Restaurants that cause traffic problems

Started by 7/8, August 17, 2016, 08:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on January 24, 2017, 11:54:11 AM
Quote from: nyratk1 on January 24, 2017, 11:35:12 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 19, 2016, 04:04:02 PM
Quote from: doorknob60 on August 19, 2016, 02:20:56 PM
When the new Dutch Bros opened in Nampa, I think they had free or $1 drinks or whatever on the grand opening. Traffic blocked off with cones along 12th Ave rd. back to nearby Amity, but then Amity/Colorado also had one lane blocked off for, I don't know, half a mile? I saw the whole set up, but didn't really get a good idea of the traffic in the area.

When a new Sonic opened in Edgewater, Maryland, the local highway system (especially Md. 2, Solomons Island Road) was overwhelmed.

Same thing happened to Deer Park Ave./NY 231 in North Babylon, NY when Sonic opened here a few yrs ago.

I was blown away by the crowd-flocking to the new Sonic along NY 7 in Latham, NY.  Although the lines did spill out onto auxiliary roads, I don't think they let people block NY 7. 

Totally stupefying.  I suppose when you travel around and see that most Sonics are just taken for granted the place just doesn't have the novelty.  Still, I had a friend who deemed it "Wendy's, but with good shakes."  I would have thought the crowds would have waned after others came to similar conclusions.  Not as overwhelmed with traffic as it once was, but the place is still surprisingly popular.
They did their best, but it still spilled onto NY 7 on the first couple days when the line was so long it was able to loop all the way around.  Took weeks for the driveway onto NY 7, or the RIRO for Wade Road, to be opened though.  Heck, the first day, the line spilled onto I-87!  As far as I know, it reached the Twin Bridges.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on January 24, 2017, 10:20:47 PM
Quote from: Rothman on January 24, 2017, 11:54:11 AM
Quote from: nyratk1 on January 24, 2017, 11:35:12 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 19, 2016, 04:04:02 PM
Quote from: doorknob60 on August 19, 2016, 02:20:56 PM
When the new Dutch Bros opened in Nampa, I think they had free or $1 drinks or whatever on the grand opening. Traffic blocked off with cones along 12th Ave rd. back to nearby Amity, but then Amity/Colorado also had one lane blocked off for, I don't know, half a mile? I saw the whole set up, but didn't really get a good idea of the traffic in the area.

When a new Sonic opened in Edgewater, Maryland, the local highway system (especially Md. 2, Solomons Island Road) was overwhelmed.

Same thing happened to Deer Park Ave./NY 231 in North Babylon, NY when Sonic opened here a few yrs ago.

I was blown away by the crowd-flocking to the new Sonic along NY 7 in Latham, NY.  Although the lines did spill out onto auxiliary roads, I don't think they let people block NY 7. 

Totally stupefying.  I suppose when you travel around and see that most Sonics are just taken for granted the place just doesn't have the novelty.  Still, I had a friend who deemed it "Wendy's, but with good shakes."  I would have thought the crowds would have waned after others came to similar conclusions.  Not as overwhelmed with traffic as it once was, but the place is still surprisingly popular.
They did their best, but it still spilled onto NY 7 on the first couple days when the line was so long it was able to loop all the way around.  Took weeks for the driveway onto NY 7, or the RIRO for Wade Road, to be opened though.  Heck, the first day, the line spilled onto I-87!  As far as I know, it reached the Twin Bridges.

Well, this is the land where The Olive Garden and Cheesecake Factory are considered haute cuisine. :/
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

epzik8

I'm going to have to say Chick-fil-A in Forest Hill, Maryland. It opened up in 2012 and is packed Monday through Saturday. The restaurant is at Route 24 and Osborne Parkway. The area of this intersection is now very congested thanks to Chick-fil-A as well as Kohl's and Dunkin' Donuts. This Chick-fil-A does have a drive-thru and it's always a parking lot every time I drive past.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

lepidopteran

What was the story with the Star Diner in Hillsborough, NJ?

I noticed that the diner parking lot had a "No Trucks" sign; I assume they meant tractor-trailers (somehow I don't think it applied to a Ford F-150).  I remember reading on this or another board that the diner might be forced to close because it was "attracting" too many 102-inch trailers on US-206, and in addition to adding traffic to an already congested route, it was consequently encouraging truckers to shunpike the NJ Turnpike.  So the Star Diner put up the sign as a preventive measure.

Or did they just put the sign there because of an inadequate sized parking lot.

(For the uninitiated, that section of US-206 roughly follows the cancelled alignment of I-95 between Bound Brook and Lawrenceville, NJ, a.k.a. the Somerset Freeway.  As such, Route 206 is badly congested in that part of the state, and is a particular bottleneck in Hillsborough.  One segment of a bypass around Hillsborough was built a few years ago.)

golden eagle

From all the posts, it seems as if Tim Hortons and Chick-Fil-A are the big winners at creating bad traffic. There was a CFA that opened in Brandon, MS, a few years ago. I happened to be that way one morning and the cars were lined to almost US 80.

sbeaver44

Our local McD's can easily back up onto the side road from PA 114, which creates issues with the right turn lane heading east on 114 (what appears to be south).  It is one of the busier McD's locations around.

ColossalBlocks

The McDonald's in Blytheville always clogs up SR 18 during the lunch rush, and the Sonic ain't that good either.

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

douglas

Oh yeah!! There are a numerous restaurants like that!!

sbeaver44

Quote from: sbeaver44 on March 15, 2017, 09:46:07 AM

Our local McD's can easily back up onto the side road from PA 114, which creates issues with the right turn lane heading east on 114 (what appears to be south).  It is one of the busier McD's locations around.
To add to this, my former job was located near here.  If I was making the right onto Bumble Bee Hollow, I learned to cancel my turn signal halfway through the turn, because more than once someone pulled out in front of me from the McDonald's exit assuming my right signal meant I was going into the McDonald's.

Nexus 6P

roadman65

Not one particular one, but all the restaurants that replaced the Days Inn on Sandlake Road in Orlando just west of I-4.  Now traffic increased 400 percent in that area as west of I-4 Sandlake used to be so quiet.

Then again all new development could be said to do that.  However, I have not been to Trader Joes yet, but our local news was complaining about how on opening day that it will change traffic forever around it, and I did hear it does have a restaurant in it.  The Sandlake clutter in Dr. Phillips is where Trader Joes is at, though not directly on the defunct Days Inn lot, but still part of it though.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on April 23, 2017, 08:28:51 AM
Not one particular one, but all the restaurants that replaced the Days Inn on Sandlake Road in Orlando just west of I-4.  Now traffic increased 400 percent in that area as west of I-4 Sandlake used to be so quiet.

Then again all new development could be said to do that.  However, I have not been to Trader Joes yet, but our local news was complaining about how on opening day that it will change traffic forever around it, and I did hear it does have a restaurant in it.  The Sandlake clutter in Dr. Phillips is where Trader Joes is at, though not directly on the defunct Days Inn lot, but still part of it though.

That WaWa at Semoran and Lee Vista was another that causes some issues for southbound traffic on Semoran/FL 436.  There was a one-way entrance on the north end of the WaWa with a weird embankment at the parking lot exit which was two-way that causes a lot of confusion during a lunch rush.  Semoran is mostly 50 MPH heading towards OIA that you really don't cars just sitting there when the traffic light is green at Lee Vista. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.4694324,-81.3110508,158m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

US71

When Whata Burger opened, traffic was backed up for 4-6 blocks.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadman65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 23, 2017, 08:50:46 AM

That WaWa at Semoran and Lee Vista was another that causes some issues for southbound traffic on Semoran/FL 436.  There was a one-way entrance on the north end of the WaWa with a weird embankment at the parking lot exit which was two-way that causes a lot of confusion during a lunch rush.  Semoran is mostly 50 MPH heading towards OIA that you really don't cars just sitting there when the traffic light is green at Lee Vista. 

Wawas always have created traffic. You can't beat their food and for rental car returns you can't beat their gas prices compared to the rental companies themselves and that asshole up the street who charges 5 or more dollars a gallon. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on April 25, 2017, 06:22:02 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 23, 2017, 08:50:46 AM

Wawas always have created traffic. You can't beat their food and for rental car returns you can't beat their gas prices compared to the rental companies themselves and that asshole up the street who charges 5 or more dollars a gallon.

How the hell are they still in business after that WaWa has been there for this long?  I used to either go to that WaWa or the 7/11 at Conway and McCoy...it isn't like there aren't decent gas options besides Suncoast Energies and whatever the other price gouger was.

Usually I would avoid that WaWa during lunch hour if I could, there was never really a good way to get back onto Tradeport from Semoran.  The Publix up on Hoffner and Conway usually didn't have a line for sandwiches.   

Tonytone

Promoting Cities since 1998!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Tonytone on April 25, 2017, 10:42:27 PM
Chic Fil A The swarm never ends.

Ironically there is one within walking distance of the WaWa I've been talking about...never much in the way of issues though.

US71

I don't eat there:the food makes me ill.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Tonytone

Quote from: US71 on April 26, 2017, 12:01:19 AM

I used to work at one and it was the worse, good people but bad food. I was eating it everyday and my face kept breaking out and getting worse. It only took until i quit and stopped eating the food that it was bad, I haven't ate at one since. :poke:

Max Rockatansky

For fast food it is decent, it was hard to beat a basket of strips and wedges from Publix instead though.

Tonytone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 26, 2017, 12:05:38 AM

For fast food it is decent, it was hard to beat a basket of strips and wedges from Publix instead though.
OMG I miss Publix, in the Mid-Atlantic we only have Shop rite, Save alot, safeway, walmart. I miss windixxie and a whole foods , along with a Whole food everywhere

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.