News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

More Kmart stores closing

Started by LM117, September 19, 2016, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

We also have androids (see the video on Erica released by The Guardian on YouTube; can't look it up right now).

I agree about communicators not quite being done.  Cell phones function similarly, but the underlying technology and capabilities are very different.  When they make a cell phone that can call another phone on the Moon without any network, then we'll have communicators as depicted on the show.

Quote from: kkt on April 20, 2017, 06:30:42 PM
We're still a long way from a united government, not needing money, or medical treatment for people who can't afford to pay.  Some days those seem even farther off than warp drive.
Considering that, in canon, World War III and First Contact were both necessary (plus a few decades) for this, not surprising.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 20, 2017, 07:52:09 PM
That detail about WWIII never did get ironed out in the rebooted Star Trek Series.
The newer shows did separate out World War III (2040s-50s) from the Eugenics Wars (1990s), though the Eugenics Wars not happening is something that is consistently glossed over.  One potential explanation is that our reality is an alternate timeline created by an attempt to erase them.  Personally, I like the novels that claim that the did happen, just behind the scenes thanks to the interventions of Gary Seven.

Quote from: SP Cook on April 21, 2017, 09:17:50 AM
Now, IMHO, the big things, which is "warp drive", which is the concept that people will ever be able to go faster than light (which, is 100% necessary as a plot device in any space science fiction, as without it, we are forever limited to this otherwise lifeless solar system) was wrong.  Which is why the space program is about done as a scientific venture, but it was darn good work for 1965.
Ever hear of Firefly?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

thenetwork

Let's go back a few more years when "The Jetsons" came out.  Among some of the "animated" products 'around' in the year 2062: 

- Moving Sidewalks, albeit NOT handrail-less
- Two-way video calling
and most recently,
- Video Wristwatches (Elroy was caught watching "The Flintstones" in class in one episode)

roadman65

About WWIII never happen it could be Earth's timeline was changed.  Remember in Star Trek Enterprise had the Germans win the first big war when the Xindi gave the early Nazi's 24th Century technology causing the US to fall and there never being a space program to later lead to Star Fleet, and of course the Germans ruling the earth not allowing Earth to interact with anyone such as Klingons, Romulans, and Ferangi etc.

The third season opener had Captain Archer changing history back by destroying the Xindi's attempts to help the Nazi's destroy all history after WWI and create all new Earth from there on.  That moment could have prevented the other wars as now the Xindi in the fictional Star Trek world made Earth history to know about alien worlds in our 20th century as the Xindi did make themselves known to be not only from the future but from outer space when making that deal with the Germans to help them get back home for exchange for hands on technology of the 24th century.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

catch22

Roadrunner75

Quote from: cl94 on March 27, 2017, 11:37:15 AM
If I were in control of Sears, I'd dump clothing and related stuff and just focus on the hardware and appliances. Big change from their current model, but it's stuff that the discount and internet stores have really been able to get into.
Just catching up on this thread again, but I completely agree with the above.  At least when I think Sears, it's hardware/yard equipment and appliances, and they're really the only reason I go there.  I've thought for awhile that they should just get out of doing everything else and focus on those areas.  But I do miss Sears' better days - I even remember a snack bar in our local store.

LM117

Quote from: catch22 on April 22, 2017, 11:52:52 AM
Sears Holdings to close 50 Sears auto centers and 92 Kmart pharmacies:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/04/21/sears-names-new-cfo-plans-more-store-closures/100763154/

Ha, they already got ahead of themselves in Goldsboro, NC. The auto center closed at the same time Kmart did.

The Kmart here in Danville has a pharmacy, but I hardly ever see anyone use it. Hell, the blood pressure monitor looks like it's been there many years, considering that it has this logo on it (albeit faded):

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Max Rockatansky

Anyone seen a list of which 50 Auto Centers and 92 Pharmacies?

roadman65

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on April 23, 2017, 03:45:30 AM
Quote from: cl94 on March 27, 2017, 11:37:15 AM
If I were in control of Sears, I'd dump clothing and related stuff and just focus on the hardware and appliances. Big change from their current model, but it's stuff that the discount and internet stores have really been able to get into.
Just catching up on this thread again, but I completely agree with the above.  At least when I think Sears, it's hardware/yard equipment and appliances, and they're really the only reason I go there.  I've thought for awhile that they should just get out of doing everything else and focus on those areas.  But I do miss Sears' better days - I even remember a snack bar in our local store.
Also the candy counter and full serve auto department.  I remember my parents buying us candy by the pound and non perils were one of my favorite to get.  The only thing good they did was expand their appliance brands as it used to be their own name brand (that I heard was really Whirlpool but with their own name to it) Kenmore.

Craftsmen were always good as far as tools as they offered the lifetime guarantee as if the tool breaks bring it back to any Sears and they will replace the whole broken piece for free!  I do not know if that is the case now, but that was a great thing!

Sheryl Crowe

LM117

LM117

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 23, 2017, 07:54:01 AM
Anyone seen a list of which 50 Auto Centers and 92 Pharmacies?

List hasn't been released yet.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-sears-closing-auto-centers-0422-biz-20170421-story.html

QuoteThe embattled retailer did not give a timeline for the store closures. Company spokesman Chris Brathwaite said he did not have a list of which locations are scheduled to close.

The company also plans to eliminate senior management roles at Sears and Kmart, though it has not said how many.

Some employees were notified Friday that they would be losing their jobs, Brathwaite said. The rest will be told in the coming weeks.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: LM117 on April 23, 2017, 08:24:50 AM
There's also this: 

http://www.businessinsider.com/list-of-sears-and-kmart-stores-closing-2017-4

I wonder if that's a typo for the Alamagordo Sears store.  The White Sands Mall doesn't have a Sears Full Line but rather a Sears Home Store.  One of the big anchors is the Kmart Store on the north side of the mall.  Incidentally the White Sands Mall is probably the worst mall I've ever been in and definitely the smallest indoor.  There used to be a decent Mom and Pop burger place that had really good fries next to the Kmart which was a plus.

roadman65

For a while here in Orlando the FL Mall Sears had its furniture store open outside the mall it was in. It moved out of the mainstore and moved a mile south on OBT and it had a different name, but it did display that it was a store by Sears on its sign out front. 

It did not last long, and closed soon afterwards and never moved back in.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on April 23, 2017, 08:38:36 AM
For a while here in Orlando the FL Mall Sears had its furniture store open outside the mall it was in. It moved out of the mainstore and moved a mile south on OBT and it had a different name, but it did display that it was a store by Sears on its sign out front. 

It did not last long, and closed soon afterwards and never moved back in.

Maybe it is something like that in Alamogordo?  I don't recall there being Sears anything in that mall earlier in the decade, there was a large Home Depot and Lowes across the street which would have ripped a Full-Line store apart for business.

catch22

Quote from: LM117 on April 23, 2017, 08:24:50 AM
There's also this: 

http://www.businessinsider.com/list-of-sears-and-kmart-stores-closing-2017-4

The Kmart listed in Livonia, MI has already closed, I drove by it last week and it's empty and all signage has been removed.

roadman65

I thought they would make a comeback when they changed their name to Big K in the mid 1990's.  Instead that did not last long and the last ones in Orlando started looking dumpy.  Heck the one in Houma  back in 13 when I was therewas a dump and only had a couple of people in the store which might of been undercover Loss Prevention.

They took a wrong turn for sure.  And buying Sears out after a judge declared bankrupcy was a stupid move on any fallen business' part.

Sheryl Crowe

thenetwork

I didn't realize that Kmart had owned Borders Books for a few years in the mid-90s. I worked there for a few years after Kmart unloaded it and left a few years before it's ultimate demise.

kkt

Quote from: thenetwork on April 25, 2017, 06:46:21 PM
I didn't realize that Kmart had owned Borders Books for a few years in the mid-90s. I worked there for a few years after Kmart unloaded it and left a few years before it's ultimate demise.

Yes, they bought high and sold low.

roadman65

My uncle used to say when he was alive "Its not the times or the location that causes a business to go under, but bad management."  I think K Mart proved that to be true.

They used to be a great store to go in to.  They went down hill slowly from the late 80's to present.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on April 25, 2017, 07:09:21 PM
My uncle used to say when he was alive "Its not the times or the location that causes a business to go under, but bad management."  I think K Mart proved that to be true.

They used to be a great store to go in to.  They went down hill slowly from the late 80's to present.

Funny, now Wal-Mart has been employing the same tactic of sub-standard management for at least the last decade.  Makes you wonder how that is going to play a decade or two down the line?

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 25, 2017, 10:32:08 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 25, 2017, 07:09:21 PM

Funny, now Wal-Mart has been employing the same tactic of sub-standard management for at least the last decade.  Makes you wonder how that is going to play a decade or two down the line?

It's probable that Wal-Mart corporate is very aware of the fact that management, such that it is at the store level, is less than exemplary.  Good managers tend to have -- and display -- the ability to be somewhat creative and flexible when dealing with customers and the issues that daily transactions invariably create.  From my experience, that doesn't sit well with Wal-Mart corporate practice; they prefer deferential types who "toe the line" when it comes to policy interpretation.  It's as if these in-store management folks are "programmed" to function robotically in that context.  Customer issues are generally addressed by one tactic: the refund!  Other customer requests (inventory discrepancies, store-to-store variances) are generally met with ignorance ("I don't know about that, sir" comes up often) or diversion ("I'll have to take this up with our store/regional supervisor").  More than once, when asking about something that should have been answered by a simple reply (e.g.: "Sorry, that item's been discontinued"), I'll be asked to fill out a form that promises a follow-up email or phone call from corporate -- that never comes! -- and the person who supplies said form acts a bit hostile -- as if your request is upsetting their carefully balanced apple cart! 

It's as if they not only prefer a deferential staff but a deferential clientele as well!   In that respect I can't always oblige them!!!!

roadman65

Since the cyber world took over now upper management of course uses that to control their assets better.  In the past it was the lower management's relationships with the hourly employees that got things running.   Department managers usually picked their potential employees from walk ins and at most the HR department that was located in the same building.  Now its given to them as a list from what the corporate computers give them as they look for key words in a person's application to be worthy enough to distribute along the staff.  That is why everything for us job seekers is done on a corporate website, as its those on top who judge us and if their computers see that we are "right" for their lower subsidiaries or such, then that department manager will know that we are alive.

Also they respected all decisions from middle to lower management and that is how it worked.  If numbers failed then the managers were placed under scrutiny only if.  Now with cameras and the technology to see all data, the corporate big wigs, who never worked in the bottom, they can make decisions for the whole entire company on all levels. So now a manager in all levels are just enforcers.

In the past corporate brass had to wait for their paperwork in the mail so meanwhile in those days in between they had to trust all managers below that things went great.  Now with instant reports coming in via the internet, they can see what happened today and mostly five minutes ago.  So the president with no retail knowledge at all, can make his own decisions and get it out fast cause he is there at the local department despite his physical appearance there.

Then there is the bad management aspect that plays out like this:

Look at Wal Mart verses defunct Two Guys, that was a small regional department store chain in the Mid Atlantic Region.  Two Guys was exactly like today's Wal Mart.  It had all departments under one roof including a grocery store.  Eventually Two Guys could not make it and cut out the groceries, and then eventually closed all retail outlets completely.  Then comes along Wal Mart and viola makes a go of the same exact thing.  Why?  Cause one had better management over the other.  However if Wal Mart starts getting to be the way that one said they are, we can see them follow Two Guys and end up first with cut outs and then total closings within 10 to 20 years time.

Sheryl Crowe

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: roadman65 on April 26, 2017, 06:07:01 AM
However if Wal Mart starts getting to be the way that one said they are, we can see them follow Two Guys and end up first with cut outs and then total closings within 10 to 20 years time.

I really don't see that happening with Wal-Mart. The death of Wal-Mart will come from the Internet–and even then, it might only be the death of physical retail locations. The website would probably survive and even thrive, given that all the logistical and inventory-related stuff has already been figured out. The removal of retail locations might even make them more efficient.

Nanis

I can't believe mine still exists

See? it still exists! Somehow...
Map of state roads I have taken pictures for the signs for can be seen here (although four routes ave not been added yet because of their lengths.):
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/us_route_map/s7vYO7rC80

thenetwork

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 26, 2017, 06:11:05 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 26, 2017, 06:07:01 AM
However if Wal Mart starts getting to be the way that one said they are, we can see them follow Two Guys and end up first with cut outs and then total closings within 10 to 20 years time.

I really don't see that happening with Wal-Mart. The death of Wal-Mart will come from the Internet–and even then, it might only be the death of physical retail locations. The website would probably survive and even thrive, given that all the logistical and inventory-related stuff has already been figured out. The removal of retail locations might even make them more efficient.

If Walmart survives a good many decades to come, it will be because of their dry goods/grocery Supercenter combos and their grocery-only Hometown Markets.  Walmarts without a full-sized grocery store will either fall by the wayside over time, or be converted into or be relocated into Supercenters or grocery-only locations.

LM117

According to this May 15th article, more stores are closing.

http://www.businessinsider.com/list-of-sears-and-kmart-stores-closing-2017-5

QuoteMost of the stores on the new list will start liquidation sales in April and close in July, though some will shut down in August.

Kmart

803 Martin Street S., Pell City, Alabama

2222 E. Lincoln Ave., Anaheim, California

1460 W. 49th St., Hialeah, Florida

424 Dairy Road, Kahului, Hawaii

715 W US Highway 30, Carroll, Iowa

33400 W. Seven Mile Road, Livonia, Michigan

2660 Hylan Blvd., Staten Island, New York

950 Ridge Road, Webster, New York

4480 Indian Ripple Road, Dayton, Ohio

1837 Street Road, Bensalem, Pennsylvania

16881 Conneaut Lake Road, Meadville, Pennsylvania

1 Millbrook Plaza Lane, Mill Hall, Pennsylvania

300 Lincoln Ave, East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

176 W Street Road, Feasterville, Pennsylvania

1011 Scranton Carbondale Hwy., Scranton, Pennsylvania

1801 Hydraulic Rd, Charlottesville, Virginia

494 Elden St., Herndon, Virginia

17911 Pacific Ave., S. Spanaway, Washington

Sears

273 Madonna Road, San Luis Obispo, California

Westfield UTC, 4575 La Jolla Village Dr, San Diego, California

Southbay Pavilion, 20700 S. Avalon Blvd., Carson, California

290 Providence Highway, Dedham, Massachusetts

Aventura Mall, 19505 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, Florida

4250 Cerrillos Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico

3199 N White Sands Blvd., Alamogordo, New Mexico

5415 N.E. Antioch Road, Kansas City, Missouri

Monroe Crossing Mall, 2115 W Roosevelt Blvd., Monroe, North Carolina

Northwoods Mall, 7801 Rivers Ave., North Charleston, South Carolina

Valley View Mall, 13131 Preston Road, Dallas, Texas

Provo Towne Centre, 1200 Towne Centre Blvd., Provo, Utah

Then there's this gem in the article:

QuoteIn a rare interview last week, Lampert spoke about the retailer's troubles and said "the reality is better than the perception."

He told the Chicago Tribune that Sears is "fighting like hell" to stay afloat but that unfair media coverage was making it difficult for the company to turn business around.

Regarding the potential for a Sears bankruptcy, he said, "We have as much time as our vendors and our lenders and our shareholders are willing to give us. We're trying to be proactive with our vendors, we're trying to be proactive with our members, with our employees, associates, etc., to explain that the reality is a lot better than the perception. The reality needs to be better than it is for us to really demonstrate to people that the transition is starting to take hold."

:rofl:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.