News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Ready for NMSL v2?

Started by vdeane, October 18, 2016, 07:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

english si

Quote from: Brandon on October 19, 2016, 05:39:44 PMThe rack, draw and quarter them
Hanging, rather than racking - the rack's for before the trial, to get information of fellow conspirators.

And obviously the hurdle drag through town to the execution site, and the emasculation before the disembowelment, are clearly givens here.

GaryV

Quote from: Brandon on October 19, 2016, 02:01:10 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 19, 2016, 01:49:49 PM
That's true.

Light rain or light snow, however, might mean a lower speed limit but still-safe driving conditions.

It depends.  Light snow in Georgia might cause everyone to freak out and stay home.  Light snow in Michigan's UP is a daily occurrence and is anything less than an inch or two, and no one slows for that.
If the UP gets only 2 inches of snow, it's cleared from the roads before you finish breakfast.

epzik8

I honestly do about 80 whenever I'm able to, even on the crowded portions of I-95 around Baltimore, DC and Northern Virginia and the Baltimore Beltway, obviously when they're not crowded. I'm not a libertarian, but I sure drive like one sometimes.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jbnv

I wouldn't mind seeing a national* speed limit on trucks and better enforcement of lane-usage restrictions. At least if we can keep the trucks in the right lane, cars will flow more easily in the left lane, reducing some of the distraction.

* Not that I'm for national laws of this sort in general. But it would be more convenient to impose this limit nationally versus waiting for all 50 states to adopt lower limits for trucks. A nationwide law gives the trucking companies more incentive to police their drivers.

Besides, aren't self-driving cars going to take care of all of this for us? :D
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

TXtoNJ

With GPS improvements, I think we could get to the point that most internet and SMS functions are automatically disabled on Interstates, and at any point a driver is traveling at more than 30 mph. Map and voice functions would still be available.

It wouldn't be popular, but it might be a reasonable compromise.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jbnv on October 20, 2016, 10:26:54 AM
* Not that I'm for national laws of this sort in general. But it would be more convenient to impose this limit nationally versus waiting for all 50 states to adopt lower limits for trucks. A nationwide law gives the trucking companies more incentive to police their drivers.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Many drivers are independent contractors, not working for any specific company.  They are simply waiting for the next call to do some hauling.

Also, it's virtually impossible to restrict trucks to a single lane, except in certain, limited circumstances.  If a trucker is doing 50 mph, do you prohibit all truckers from going faster than that for hundreds of miles until that truck exits the highway? 

Quote from: TXtoNJ on October 20, 2016, 11:56:52 AM
With GPS improvements, I think we could get to the point that most internet and SMS functions are automatically disabled on Interstates, and at any point a driver is traveling at more than 30 mph. Map and voice functions would still be available.

It wouldn't be popular, but it might be a reasonable compromise.

As mentioned in a previous thread, this would also prohibit passengers, those in buses and trains, and others from using their phones as well, making it a non-starter of an idea.

Also, why should it be ok to use phones while driving in residential neighborhoods? If this idea had any sort of merit, make it 10 or 15 mph, not 30 mph.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

I know where he got the ticket that inspired that song. I-87 near the Twin Bridges.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jbnv

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 20, 2016, 11:59:30 AM
Also, it's virtually impossible to restrict trucks to a single lane, except in certain, limited circumstances.  If a trucker is doing 50 mph, do you prohibit all truckers from going faster than that for hundreds of miles until that truck exits the highway? 

Let's use some common sense. On two-lane highways, the general requirement is that people stay in the right lane except to pass. Many highways with three or more lanes already restrict trucks to the two rightmost lanes or ban them from the left-most lanes. Add a speed limit to trucks and enforce these laws.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jbnv on October 20, 2016, 12:46:44 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 20, 2016, 11:59:30 AM

Let's use some common sense. On two-lane highways, the general requirement is that people stay in the right lane except to pass. Many highways with three or more lanes already restrict trucks to the two rightmost lanes or ban them from the left-most lanes. Add a speed limit to trucks and enforce these laws.

There's already a speed limit. And many times, trucks are governed to a limit lower than that.

jbnv

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 20, 2016, 12:48:08 PM
There's already a speed limit. And many times, trucks are governed to a limit lower than that.

I wasn't aware there is already a national speed limit for trucks. So we are good.

cl94

Quote from: jbnv on October 20, 2016, 12:50:04 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 20, 2016, 12:48:08 PM

I wasn't aware there is already a national speed limit for trucks. So we are good.

There isn't, but most large companies govern their trucks to 60-70.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

jeffandnicole

And in terms of a speed limit, I mean there's already a set speed limit, which is the large black and white sign on the side of the road for all vehicles (unless otherwise specified).  There isn't much info out there stating that the current speed limit is a problem for truckers, so to institute a special speed limit for truckers is nothing more than a feel-good piece of legislation.

See also: NMSL (v1).

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on October 19, 2016, 01:00:37 PMIf you want to stop distracted driving, IMO it would be better to jack speed limits way up and ban anything other than a stick shift
Probably irrelevant - you don't really shift while cruising on a highway, but makes life difficult in stop-and-go, where it makes no difference.

cl94

Quote from: kalvado on October 20, 2016, 02:09:34 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 19, 2016, 01:00:37 PMIf you want to stop distracted driving, IMO it would be better to jack speed limits way up and ban anything other than a stick shift
Probably irrelevant - you don't really shift while cruising on a highway, but makes life difficult in stop-and-go, where it makes no difference.

That is part of why I caved in and made the switch to a CVT from a manual. Clutches don't last forever and I'm sure my dad and I killed a couple in NYC-area traffic. That and the hills in Troy are an absolute PITA with a stick (and my current car has auto-braking on hills to prevent rolling back when starting).

jbnv

I'd be highly surprised if the people with their cruise controls set, at whatever speed, are more of a danger than the speed demons driving their sticks.

vdeane

Quote from: jbnv on October 20, 2016, 02:56:19 PM

I'd be highly surprised if the people with their cruise controls set, at whatever speed, are more of a danger than the speed demons driving their sticks.
I drive a stick and set my cruise control at 72 in 65 mph zones.  So it looks like, not only do you believe in the "speed kills" narrative, but you feel superior because you drive an automatic.

Depending on traffic, I often shift even on the highway.  In any case, people that are distracted usually don't reserve their behaviors for the highway, and if they get accustomed to actually driving when they're in the car (instead of eating, using their phone, etc.), it might translate over by association.  At the very least, it makes driving less boring, and boredom is the reason people drive distracted in the first place.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: epzik8 on October 20, 2016, 09:33:23 AM
I honestly do about 80 whenever I'm able to, even on the crowded portions of I-95 around Baltimore, DC and Northern Virginia and the Baltimore Beltway, obviously when they're not crowded. I'm not a libertarian, but I sure drive like one sometimes.

You are aware of the reckless driving provisions in Virginia law, right?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cl94

It was quite funny watching everyone go 79 and no faster along I-81 and I-66 a couple weekends ago

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 20, 2016, 05:44:49 PM

That only applies in VA, right?

And based on what I've seen, many people in the NoVA area don't seem too concerned about it especially when traffic is heavy.

cl94

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 20, 2016, 08:09:50 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 20, 2016, 05:44:49 PM

That only applies in VA, right?

And based on what I've seen, many people in the NoVA area don't seem too concerned about it especially when traffic is heavy.

It does only apply in Virginia. Thankfully.

jbnv

Quote from: vdeane on October 20, 2016, 05:39:08 PM
I drive a stick and set my cruise control at 72 in 65 mph zones.  So it looks like, not only do you believe in the "speed kills" narrative, but you feel superior because you drive an automatic.

Wow. Wrong and even more wrong. Speed doesn't kill. What kills is what happens when something at great speed makes contact with something at a much lower speed.

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on October 20, 2016, 06:53:42 PM
It was quite funny watching everyone go 79 and no faster along I-81 and I-66 a couple weekends ago

I'm still amazed that this has never been my experience driving on a Virginia interstate. Vehicles routinely speed by me doing in excess of 80 mph. Maybe they're running radar detectors despite the ban.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

It is worth noting that the original NMSL was motivated not by safety but by fuel economy.

The point at which a vehicle hits its optimum speed varies depending on driving conditions and the design of the vehicle itself, and the proliferation of overdrive gears has helped make cars more efficient at higher speeds... but it remains true that a car traveling at 80 MPH is pretty much guaranteed to be getting fewer MPG than one traveling at 65 MPH. There is, therefore, often an environmental motive behind lobbying to suppress interstate speed limits.

The problem, of course, is that the physical design of the road influences drivers' speed more than the posted limit does. So if you want to make everyone slow down for the sake of conserving fuel, changing the speed limit isn't really going to achieve that. You would need to mandate speed governors in passenger vehicles. Indeed, using WaPo's own arguments, large numbers of people don't obey speed limits. So, you think they're going to start obeying them if you lower them?

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

compdude787

Can't stand the whole "speed kills" claims that people make. There should NEVER, ever, EVER be another NMSL. I was born the year that the NMSL was repealed, and I couldn't imagine having to go 55 on a freeway out in the middle of nowhere. Boring! :sleep:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.