News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Kankakee Road Meet

Started by Brandon, October 28, 2016, 03:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which days would be best for the Kankakee Road Meet?

Sat April 22
4 (19%)
Sat April 30
6 (28.6%)
Sat May 6
10 (47.6%)
Sat May 13 (Mother's Day Weekend)
7 (33.3%)
Sat May 20
6 (28.6%)
Sat May 27 (Memorial Day Weekend)
8 (38.1%)
Sat June 3
9 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

jpi

Consider me a "maybe" on this for 5/27, I would like to go, maybe even tie it in with a Wisconsin county clinching road trip, we will see.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

Probably not doing this one. I've been there before, and Mississippi a couple of weeks earlier offers a chance to get a bunch of new counties (I already have Illinois clinched).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Unlikely but possible. See if I can convince the lady to see Chicago that weekend.

TheHighwayMan3561

I'm going to make an attempt, but I'm also very interested in Mississippi so I might have to pick between them.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SSOWorld

no picks in between here and there for me - I stay regional so I'm likely.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

pianocello

I'm going to try to make it. It'll depend on where I end up over the summer, but it should work for me.

As more details get finalized, will they be posted here or somewhere else?
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Brandon

Quote from: pianocello on January 07, 2017, 12:06:44 AM
I'm going to try to make it. It'll depend on where I end up over the summer, but it should work for me.

As more details get finalized, will they be posted here or somewhere else?

Both here and Facebook.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

dvferyance

As long as the date isn't April 30th I am in.

cl94

Quote from: dvferyance on January 16, 2017, 06:14:12 PM
As long as the date isn't April 30th I am in.

Well, it's your lucky day

Quote from: Brandon on January 05, 2017, 12:54:48 PM
OK, I've made my decision, after a lot of thought between two dates.  The meet will be on May 27 at 11:00 am.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Brandon

And we have a Facebook page (public event, invite your friends!): https://www.facebook.com/events/1884571958478740/
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

cl94

Out of curiosity, any updates on location, etc.?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Brandon

Quote from: cl94 on March 19, 2017, 03:17:59 PM

Yes, the lunch will be at Monical's Pizza at the northwest corner of Wall St (IL-113) and Court St (IL-17).  I will have an itinerary up later this week.

cl94

Excellent. Thanks. Chicago-style thin crust?

Brandon

Quote from: cl94 on March 19, 2017, 07:56:52 PM
Excellent. Thanks. Chicago-style thin crust?

Yes, it's a cracker-like thin crust.

inkyatari

Quote from: Brandon on March 19, 2017, 07:36:51 PM

Yes, the lunch will be at Monical's Pizza at the northwest corner of Wall St (IL-113) and Court St (IL-17).  I will have an itinerary up later this week.

I had no idea Monical's was still in business.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on March 20, 2017, 09:15:48 AM

They're all over eastern Illinois from Mattoon to Monee, based in Bradley.

inkyatari

Quote from:  Brandon on March 20, 2017, 09:15:48 AM
Quote from:  inkyatari on March 19, 2017, 07:36:51 PM

I remember they closed up the one in the plaza by Dollar Tree on rt. 50 just before we moved from Bradley.

IMHO, the pizza isn't anything special, but it's also certainly not bad.

cl94

Quote from: inkyatari on March 20, 2017, 02:14:52 PM

Quote from:  Brandon on March 20, 2017, 09:15:48 AM
Quote from:  inkyatari on March 19, 2017, 07:36:51 PM

I remember they closed up the one in the plaza by Dollar Tree on rt. 50 just before we moved from Bradley.

IMHO, the pizza isn't anything special, but it's also certainly not bad.

For a good portion of the attendees, it's something different. Which is precisely what I like to see at a meet - something distinctive to the region.

inkyatari

A friend of mine used to manage that Monical's..  Wish I remember his name though. :(

Brandon

Here's the basic itinerary of the tour route:

-   Exit Monical's onto Wall St (IL-113), and turn right.  Go past the intersection with Court St (IL-17), and turn left into Bird Park (first left).
-   Park at Bird Park for the first stop — the IL-17 bridge and where it meets US-45/52, with a short walk down to the Station St Bridge.
-   Exit Bird Park onto Station St and turn left.
-   Turn right at Washington St (US-45/52).  Turn right at River St and enter the parking lot at the corner for the second stop — the railroad viaduct over the Kankakee River.
-   Exit the lot and turn right onto the bridge.  Then turn left onto Water St, following the US-45/52 signs.
-   Turn left onto Jeffery St, then right onto IL-50.  Then turn right again back onto US-45/52.
-   Then turn left at Jeffery St and cross the tracks.  Turn right onto Washington Av (IL-115).  Follow IL-115 to Charles St for the third stop — IL-115 end and US-45/52 bends.
-   Then follow US-45/52 back north to Court St (IL-17) and turn right.  Follow Court St through town to St Joseph St and turn left.  Turn right and go through the back side of the shopping center.  Park at the east end of the lot for the fourth stop — Exit 312 Death Ramp.
-   Go back through the center to St Joseph St and Court St.  Turn left onto Court St and then left on I-57 South to use the Death Ramp.
-   Follow I-57 south to Exit 308 (US-45/52).  This is one of the oldest Illinois Department of Public Works (IDOT predecessor) freeways in the state.
-   Exit at Exit 308 and turn left onto US-45/52 north.  Keep right onto IL-50.  We will follow IL-50 through town to McKnight Rd.  Along the way, we will go through the rebuilt interchange at I-57 (Exit 315).  Formerly 6 ramps, IDOT rebuilt it to be a diamond.
-   Turn left at McKnight Rd to the fifth stop — the site of the Amtrak crash in 1999.  This is the former crossing.
-   Then we will turn right on IL-50 back to Larry Power Rd and turn right again.  Then turn left onto US-45/52 into Bourbonnais.
-   Turn right onto IL-102 with a quick right into the business area for the sixth stop — central Bourbonnais.  Both US-45/52 and IL-102 were realigned here years ago.
-   Then go west on IL-102 to Kankakee River State Park.  Turn left at the main entrance, then bear right to the parking lot.  This is the seventh stop — the bridges and canyon for Rock Creek.
-   Turn left back onto IL-102 to Warner Bridge Rd.  Then turn left onto Warner Bridge Rd.  Turn right into the parking lot just north of the bridge for the eighth stop — the old bridge piers.
-   Then turn right onto Warner Bridge Rd to IL-113 and turn left, back toward Kankakee.  We'll stop at a bend in the river and road just east of Indian Trail.  This will be the ninth and last stop — Dead Man's Curve.
-   Then head back to Bird Park for the vehicles.

inkyatari

Sadly, I'll be unable to attend.  Just too busy, what with a lot of school activities, and my 20th anniversary this weekend.

cl94

Looks like a nice mix of stuff. Literally all of it will be new for me, as the closest I have ever been is Champaign. Looking forward to seeing the area for the first time (may do some pre-meet clinching, though, depending on how early I can get out of my hotel near Chicago).

jpi

I mentioned on FB but don't think I did here, I am now road tripping up from middle TN for this meet, even though I have clinched all IL counties and the surrounding area and clinched all of I-57 but since I have nothing going on this weekend and I am cleaning up the mini van and have all seats in this time this will help with car pooling. Also I have only driven through Kankakee on I-57 and have not explored the rest of the city so this technically would be new area for me. I am staying in Champaign both Friday and Saturday night which is a little over an hour south but open for anything, I do plan on clinching all of US 51 in IL (south of I-39) on my drive back on Sunday and checking out the new east end bridge on 265 near Louisville on the drive up, looking forward to seeing everyone! :biggrin:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

US71

I'm pre-committed to a show in Texas or I'd be there. Maybe this Summer I can sneak up there for a self-guided tour. :)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.