News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Arcade video games

Started by inkyatari, November 22, 2016, 10:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkyatari

I'm co-host of an arcade videogame podcast, The Pie Factory, and we talk about two arcade games per episode, with a sepcial episode roughly every 10th.

I was wondering, those who were into the arcade scene of the 80's and early 90's, what were your favorite games?
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

ET21

Classic: Galaga and Bosconian
90s: Rogue Squadron and G-Police
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

inkyatari

We've yet to cover Bosconian.  I love the game.  There's a great similar game for the PC and Linux called Kobo Deluxe that's worth a look.

http://www.olofson.net/kobodl/

jeffandnicole

Max Rockatansky

Beat'em ups; Ninja Turtles Arcade, Final Fight, Double Dragon, and the Simpsons game just to name a few.  Fighting games like Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat were better in the arcade also.

nexus73

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 22, 2016, 11:15:54 AM
Anything pinball!

Bingo!

For a classic video game, I always did like Defender even though I did not do well at it.  Those smart bombs clearing the screen were so cool!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

inkyatari

Quote from: nexus73 on November 22, 2016, 12:04:05 PM

For a classic video game, I always did like Defender even though I did not do well at it.  Those smart bombs clearing the screen were so cool!

Rick

Heh.  Last year, about this time, the Galloping Ghost arcade had a Narc Developer's night, and all the guys from Williams / Midway from around then were there..

Anyway, so was developer Eugene Jarvis, developer of Robotron, Stargate, Blaster, Narc, Smash TV, and of course, Defender.

I was watching him play Defender.  He literally only lasted like 3 minutes.  I have a photo of him somewhere hwen he lost his last life.

Alex

Quote from: inkyatari on November 22, 2016, 10:47:17 AM
I was wondering, those who were into the arcade scene of the 80's and early 90's, what were your favorite games?

Played many during that time frame. Guantlet was easily my all time favorite. Played Turbo, Rastan, Spy Hunter and Super Off-Road quite a bit too. Later on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the Xmen arcade game became staples at the bowling alley or Christiana Mall arcade.

bandit957

Quote from: inkyatari on November 22, 2016, 10:47:17 AM
I'm co-host of an arcade videogame podcast, The Pie Factory, and we talk about two arcade games per episode, with a sepcial episode roughly every 10th.

I liked Burgertime, and I just about pooed when they didn't come out with Burgertime for the Atari 800.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

inkyatari

Quote from: bandit957 on November 22, 2016, 01:30:06 PM

I liked Burgertime, and I just about pooed when they didn't come out with Burgertime for the Atari 800.

I thought a version did come out for it?

At any rate, now there's a homebrew clone for the 8Bits called Beef Drop

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=297

Rothman

Vanguard II, Gauntlet, Centipede, Defender, Discs of Tron, Spy Hunter, OutRun, 1941...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

The sit-down Out Run
Ms. Pac-Man
Bump n Jump
Monaco GP
Turbo

I loved the Intellivision version of Burger Time but never played it in the arcade. My brother still has our Intellivision and says it still works. Maybe I'll have to borrow it sometime (or just buy an emulator at Toys R Us near our neighborhood, if that thing includes Burger Time). 
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

triplemultiplex

Excite Bike
They had one in the burger joint in my hometown growing up and the 8 bit sound effects are burned into my brain.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

inkyatari

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 22, 2016, 02:30:08 PM

I loved the Intellivision version of Burger Time but never played it in the arcade. My brother still has our Intellivision and says it still works. Maybe I'll have to borrow it sometime (or just buy an emulator at Toys R Us near our neighborhood, if that thing includes Burger Time).

I don't think it does, but there are Intellivision emulators for the PC, Mac, Linux, Raspberry Pi (which I'm setting up,) that would run it.

noelbotevera

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (heheheheh)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: noelbotevera on November 22, 2016, 08:29:08 PM
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (heheheheh)

Don't think that ever made it to the arcades.  Plus that game gets shit on way too much for being difficult, it's really nowhere near as bad as advertised. 

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

mgk920

For classic arcade games, I'd say Gauntlet, Tempest, Space Invaders, Galaxians, Centipede and Asteroids.

Also, I forget what it was called, but I also remember a tabletop football game where two opponents face each other playing 'X's v 'O's, selecting plays and formations and then moving the action on the screen by spinning cue balls that are set into its top.  It was loads of fun.

Mike

inkyatari

Quote from: mgk920 on November 23, 2016, 11:08:43 AM

Also, I forget what it was called, but I also remember a tabletop football game where two opponents face each other playing 'X's v 'O's, selecting plays and formations and then moving the action on the screen by spinning cue balls that are set into its top.  It was loads of fun.

Mike

Atari Football is the name of that one.  I'm not much for sports games, especially football, but that game is a blast.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

ZLoth

I still love the simple tune from..... Spy Hunter.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

inkyatari

Quote from: ZLoth on November 24, 2016, 09:58:33 PM
I still love the simple tune from..... Spy Hunter.

Peter Gunn.  Classic.

If anyone's interested, Pie Factory has a couple videos on youtube.  First, here's us playing the Beavis and Butt-Head prototype game at the Galloping Ghost arcade, Brookfield IL (largest arcade in the world, according to Guiness.)  I'm wearing the camera in all these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDBZ4njFES8

Secondly, here's an unfortunate glitch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az4OkkB4iDc

Finally, here's us playing Xenophobe with the game's creator, Brian COlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrUHSNMCDvE

ZLoth

Ahhh, yes, Xenophobe.... the Star Trek game that wasn't called a Star Trek game....  :-P
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

bandit957

Remember a video game called Rally X? They had this at a local arcade. One time, I was playing it at the arcade, and my brother and I got in a big argument about something, and we got kicked out.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

cjk374

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 22, 2016, 02:30:08 PM
The sit-down Out Run
Ms. Pac-Man
Bump n Jump
Monaco GP
Turbo

I own an Intellivision emulator...it doesn't have their version of Burgertime. I didn't even know they had a version of it. I liked playing Burgertime in the arcade.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.