News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Your Favorite State Route Sheild?

Started by ColossalBlocks, December 09, 2016, 12:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Is The State Primary Shield You Like The Most?

Washington State Primary
Idaho State Primary
Nevada State Primary
Oregon State Primary
California State Primary
Arizona State Primary
Utah State Primary
New Mexico State Primary
Colorado State Primary
Texas State Primary
Oklahoma State Primary
Kansas State Primary
Missouri State Primary
Wyoming State Primary
Montana State Primary
North Dakota State Primary
South Dakota State Primary
Nebraska State Primary
Iowa State Primary
Minnesota State Primary
Wisconsin State Primary
Arkansas State Primary
Louisiana State Primary
Mississippi State Primary
Illinois State Primary
Indiana State Primary
Kentucky State Primary
Tennessee State Primary
Ohio State Primary
Alabama State Primary
Georgia State Primary
Florida State Primary
South Carolina State Primary
North Carolina State Primary
Virginia State Primary
West Virginia State Primary
Pennsylvania State Primary
New Jersey State Primary
New York State Primary
Maryland State Primary
Delaware State Primary
Connecticut State Primary
Rhode Island State Primary
Massachusetts State Primary
Vermont State Primary
New Hampshire State Primary
Maine State Primary
Alaska State Primary
Hawaii State Primary
DC Route
Michigan State Primary

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

US71

One of my favorites is the classic silhouette Illinois shield
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

billtm

My favorite one is Kansas's because it stands out as not being a silhouette or just the state's name.
California is too mainstream :-P and if I had to pick the worst, it would be Kentucky.

Rothman

Minnesota = best

Rhode Island = worst
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Brandon

And you're missing one, my personal favorite, the Michigan state trunk highway shield.  A simple diamond, but different than anything around it.

The worst, is any simple square or circle out there (IL, IN, IA, KY, NJ, DE, MA, RI, ME, CT, MS, WV).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hotdogPi

Some of these are the same, for example, Massachusetts and Maine. Also New Jersey, Kentucky, and Mississippi.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

pumpkineater2

I've always liked California's. I don't know exactly why, but the fact that it isn't a square or rectangle, and isn't black and white are two reasons.

I wish Arizona would incorporate it's state flag colors into its shields, as well as having a more defined outline of the state, like they used to have.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

LM117

Quote from: Brandon on December 09, 2016, 01:38:53 PM
And you're missing one, my personal favorite, the Michigan state trunk highway shield.  A simple diamond, but different than anything around it.

I like North Carolina's shield for the same reason. It's virtually identical to Michigan's.

Ex: NC-222

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Max Rockatansky

My personal five favorites in no particular order:

Arizona

-  I always like the style of the shield in the shape of the state and that it says Arizona in the banner.  The older design was better when it showed the bend in the Colorado River. 

California

-   Really I like the spade/shovel design that isn't on MUTCD square blank.  Some of the older shields are still painted enamel with vinyl numbers which were built to last. 

Florida

-   I actually like the shape of the Keyless shield opposed to the older design that had it.  Very simple and very clean design that incorporates the route number into the state shape.

New Mexico

-   Very ornate design with lots of colors which is interesting given how many routes there are. 

Colorado

-   I love the design of this shield.  Very colorful and very idenifiable as something that screams "Colorado."

Some others I like are; Nevada, Idaho, and Michigan.  The worst by far are Connecticut and Massachusetts since they are usually just boring black outlines with white in the middle.  At least states like Maryland, Indiana, and Montana bothered to put the state name in regularly.  There are still some Connecticut signs floating around that say "Conn" which are okay. 

ColossalBlocks

Quote from: Brandon on December 09, 2016, 01:38:53 PM
And you're missing one
I knew i was missing something, i will have to edit that, thanks!
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

epzik8

Maryland because I'm biased and because it's pretty straightforward. You know it's a Maryland route because it says "MARYLAND" at the top.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Rothman

Quote from: epzik8 on December 09, 2016, 07:15:49 PM
Maryland because I'm biased and because it's pretty straightforward. You know it's a Maryland route because it says "MARYLAND" at the top.

Not on BGSes. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

I really like Kentucky's.

I hate New Jersey's, Delaware's, Iowa's and Mississippi's.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on December 10, 2016, 12:07:29 AM
I really like Kentucky's.

I hate New Jersey's, Delaware's, Iowa's and Mississippi's.  :-D

Still better than the blank squares that I described above.  Haven't you ever heard the phrase "all these squares make a circle?"

peterj920

I like South Carolina's with the blue color, State name, outline, and logo all within the sign.  Also like Washington with the George Washington head, Colorado with the state flag on top, and the blue colors of Minnesota's.  I think colored signs are more vibrant than black and white signs. 

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota and Colorado are my favorites.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

plain

I like DC's, simply because there's literally only one DC route in the first place

https://goo.gl/maps/bNN7EAZ2sXT2
Newark born, Richmond bred

slorydn1

Born in Michigan. Raised in Illinois. Lived in North Carolina my entire adult life. It's got to be one of those 3, right? Nope.

As Tim Russert once famously said "It's all about Florida."

A nod to any of the outline shield states, but Florida has always been my favorite.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

cjk374

Quote from: peterj920 on December 10, 2016, 05:34:55 AM
  I think colored signs are more vibrant than black and white signs. 

Yes they are! That is why I miss Louisiana's green & white shields so much.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

1995hoo

Hawaii, because if I see one on the road, it means I'm in Hawaii, and who wouldn't like that?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Truvelo

Someone voted for Connecticut so maybe the plain shapes aren't so dumb :spin:
Speed limits limit life

bing101

oscar

Quote from: bing101 on December 10, 2016, 06:29:15 PM
Hawaii State route shields have a California look but in white

Hawaii Shields are spades like California.

The shape, when first developed during World War II for the temporary secondary wartime routes on Oahu, was officially described as a "teardrop". While Hawaii DOT tends to imitate Caltrans quite a bit, I don't think this was an example of that, especially since Hawaii doesn't have a history of mining (though I suppose spades might get some agricultural use).

Hawaii's markers provide some "truth in advertising", a reminder of something not emphasized in the tourism brochures, that it rains in Hawaii, and in some places it rains a lot.

I'm more partial to the Alaska route marker, though I also like the colorful Colorado marker, and (outside the US) the standard British Columbia route marker and those for Quebec's Autoroutes and Nova Scotia's 100-series freeways. All of those except the Autoroute markers incorporate all or part of the state/provincial flag.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jakeroot

^^ Hawaii is also my favorite, but because I like the design (guitar-pick looking thing, sort of like Oregon's reversed version), not its meaning. I like simple designs that can be used as cutouts.

Similarly, I quite like BC's shield, because of its shape. It's easily cut out, and has a very timeless feel to it.

So...

Windfarmer

I like Hawaii's shield for the exact reason Jake said.

I also like most simple circles/squares as shields.
This account has been mostly abandoned as of 11 January 2018.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.