News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Your Favorite State Route Sheild?

Started by ColossalBlocks, December 09, 2016, 12:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Is The State Primary Shield You Like The Most?

Washington State Primary
Idaho State Primary
Nevada State Primary
Oregon State Primary
California State Primary
Arizona State Primary
Utah State Primary
New Mexico State Primary
Colorado State Primary
Texas State Primary
Oklahoma State Primary
Kansas State Primary
Missouri State Primary
Wyoming State Primary
Montana State Primary
North Dakota State Primary
South Dakota State Primary
Nebraska State Primary
Iowa State Primary
Minnesota State Primary
Wisconsin State Primary
Arkansas State Primary
Louisiana State Primary
Mississippi State Primary
Illinois State Primary
Indiana State Primary
Kentucky State Primary
Tennessee State Primary
Ohio State Primary
Alabama State Primary
Georgia State Primary
Florida State Primary
South Carolina State Primary
North Carolina State Primary
Virginia State Primary
West Virginia State Primary
Pennsylvania State Primary
New Jersey State Primary
New York State Primary
Maryland State Primary
Delaware State Primary
Connecticut State Primary
Rhode Island State Primary
Massachusetts State Primary
Vermont State Primary
New Hampshire State Primary
Maine State Primary
Alaska State Primary
Hawaii State Primary
DC Route
Michigan State Primary

Quillz

They probably stopped using them because gas tax revenue wouldn't pay for them, similar to why Florida stopped using the various colored US route shields.

jwolfer

Quote from: Quillz on January 08, 2017, 07:36:29 PM
They probably stopped using them because gas tax revenue wouldn't pay for them, similar to why Florida stopped using the various colored US route shields.
I miss the colored shields too.

LGMS428

slorydn1

Quote from: jwolfer on January 08, 2017, 09:22:21 PM
Quote from: Quillz on January 08, 2017, 07:36:29 PM
I miss the colored shields too.

LGMS428

Me three! Sadly the only decent pictures I have of any of them (mainly US-1) are old school film (110 at that) and are not easily shareable online.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Revive 755

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 15, 2016, 02:01:23 PM
I like the Minnesota design as well, but I think gold should be disallowed on shields because it is not a MUTCD color.  I feel the same about cream where it is used on California historic landmark signs, much as I like the appearance of these signs.

Perhaps the MUTCD should be revised to add these colors, particularly cream?  I certainly don't object to it's use on this non-compliant street name sign:  Streetview

As for favorite state route shield, I'm picking Missouri primary, with Minnesota, Tennessee primary, and Arkansas as runners up.

Quillz

For California, I should expand my answer. My favorite variant was the "bordered" bear shield, which existed from roughly 1934-1956. After that, it would be the white spade, which existed from 1957-1963. Then it would be the current green spade. (The very first design appeared to lack a black border, and I'm not sure if it was ever actually even used in practice, might have only been a prototype).

Another one I like is Utah's... But only because it has a pretty unique shape. In practice, I actually find it a bit hard to read the number within. The same would apply with Washington... Like the idea, but not the execution. (Frankly, I think Washington's old shields were better).

kphoger

Quote from: Quillz on January 19, 2017, 08:05:03 PM
(The very first design appeared to lack a black border, and I'm not sure if it was ever actually even used in practice, might have only been a prototype).

If only Jake were still an active participant on the forum...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Quillz

Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2017, 09:07:31 PM
Quote from: Quillz on January 19, 2017, 08:05:03 PM
(The very first design appeared to lack a black border, and I'm not sure if it was ever actually even used in practice, might have only been a prototype).

If only Jake were still an active participant on the forum...
I've never seen a single photo outside of obvious publicity shots, so I suspect it was never used in the field. (And for good reason, it didn't look very good without the border).

kphoger

The answer should come shortly.  :)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Nope, no such answer.  The definitive expert on all things California shield-related does not know the answer.  And I quote...

Quote from: agentsteel
"not sure on the border question though I have seen a few with the border clearly fired on later.  how much later? I do not know."
Male pronouns, please.

mapman1071

Quote from: CYoder on December 15, 2016, 02:28:02 PM
I don't mind the TN secondary shield even though spacing can be tight.  It would be nice to place the "TN" back at the bottom of the triangle.  I don't care for TN primary shields -- besides the primary/secondary designation being completely useless in this state, the design isn't all that interesting, and the design isn't even done all that consistently around here.  I've seen the word "Tennessee" in Times New Roman, Clarendon, and I think Bookman Old Style?

Quote from: FrCorySticha on December 15, 2016, 11:14:56 AM
My favorite isn't a primary route shield, but Montana's arrowhead secondary route shield:

Personally I wish they would adopt that as the primary shield and relegate the boring square primary shield to secondary routes.

Seconded!

MT Arrowhead is the same shield used by most Native American Nations/Reservations for there Roads & Trails (Ruts)

ColossalBlocks

Quote from: mapman1071 on January 21, 2017, 12:28:38 AM
Quote from: CYoder on December 15, 2016, 02:28:02 PM
I don't mind the TN secondary shield even though spacing can be tight.  It would be nice to place the "TN" back at the bottom of the triangle.  I don't care for TN primary shields -- besides the primary/secondary designation being completely useless in this state, the design isn't all that interesting, and the design isn't even done all that consistently around here.  I've seen the word "Tennessee" in Times New Roman, Clarendon, and I think Bookman Old Style?

Quote from: FrCorySticha on December 15, 2016, 11:14:56 AM
My favorite isn't a primary route shield, but Montana's arrowhead secondary route shield:

Personally I wish they would adopt that as the primary shield and relegate the boring square primary shield to secondary routes.

Seconded!

MT Arrowhead is the same shield used by most Native American Nations/Reservations for there Roads & Trails (Ruts)

Well, i didn't know that, that's cool.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

FrCorySticha

The difference I've seen, at least on reservations here in Montana, is that the BIA shields are a white arrowhead on green background instead of black background.

iPad

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: FrCorySticha on January 21, 2017, 12:52:39 AM

The difference I've seen, at least on reservations here in Montana, is that the BIA shields are a white arrowhead on green background instead of black background.

iPad

In Arizona they are black backgrounds with white arrowheads just like Montana.  That threw me off when I first went to Montana since I thought they were BIA routes for a couple minutes until I figured out it was it was a secondary route signage type.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 21, 2017, 07:41:51 AMIn Arizona they are black backgrounds with white arrowheads just like Montana.  That threw me off when I first went to Montana since I thought they were BIA routes for a couple minutes until I figured out it was it was a secondary route signage type.

The Arizona BIA shield is a state standard that appears in Arizona DOT's Manual of Approved Signs.  It differs from the Montana secondary route shield in that the arrowhead has smoother curves, is more convex, and has the word "INDIAN" above the neck.  I suspect BIA uses it as its marker in Arizona through interagency agreement.

Aside from the green background, there is little consistency in how the generic BIA shield is fabricated--quite often the digits are in Helvetica rather than one of the FHWA series.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Quillz

Two other states that have shields I like are South Dakota and Vermont, but not due to shield shape, but rather color. I've really grown to like their usage of green-on-white, with matching directional banners. (Although South Dakota actually uses black legend). I would imagine its something less legible than black-on-white, but it does help the shields stand out.

By extension, I believe South Carolina has recently switched to blue-on-white shields.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Quillz on January 23, 2017, 12:56:49 AM
Two other states that have shields I like are South Dakota and Vermont, but not due to shield shape, but rather color. I've really grown to like their usage of green-on-white, with matching directional banners. (Although South Dakota actually uses black legend). I would imagine its something less legible than black-on-white, but it does help the shields stand out.

By extension, I believe South Carolina has recently switched to blue-on-white shields.

I just wanted to say I really agree with your assessment.  I really like green and blue, and both colors are easily legible against white, regardless of which is used as foreground and which is used as background. 
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

adventurernumber1

I'm really, really sorry for bumping this thread, but I have come across something very interesting. I've been browsing the AARoads Shield Gallery a lot this week, and I found some things regarding state route shields (which many of you may already know about).

I was on the Delaware page, and I noticed some really fascinating circle shields, such as these:

https://www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=DE19660041

https://www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=DE19660091

https://www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=DE19660021

I also saw some sweet sights on the Iowa page:

https://www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=IA19260611

https://www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=IA20140921 (why is this not the official state route shield?)

https://www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=IA19480011

https://www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=IA19290161

Now, what are these old, interesting shields on the Mississippi page?

https://www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=MS19220121

https://www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=MS19473011

https://www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=MS19600261

These are all really good examples of what "circle shield states" could do to differentiate themselves from eachother, and have unique, very interesting shields, as well as some of the examples also mentioned upthread.  :nod:

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

roadman65

Florida and Kansas!  Louisiana before they went black and white used to be good in the green state outline.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

index

If Oregon's old eagle shield was still around, that'd be my top pick for favorite.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

adventurernumber1

Also, I apologize for having a rather strange question, but my severely mentally ill mind will not leave me alone about it.

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 05, 2017, 11:31:40 AM
I voted for the Florida state route shield. I highly like all of the usual favorites, such as California, Kansas, Minnesota, and Pennsylvania. However, when it comes to states I have actually been to and seen the shields in person, probably my very favorites are Florida and Colorado. I honestly don't see why states like Mississippi or Kentucky couldn't decide on something more inventive.

Does the bolded part of what I said come off as being harsh? I love all State Highway Shields, including all the circle and square ones, and all of them are aesthetically pleasing to me, but I do think that each state should make their own individual, unique state route shield to differentiate themselves from eachother (for example: one state could use the default MUTCD standard circle shield, and that would make that one state individual and unique, and the other circle shield states could create custom shield shapes and such - or, all circle shield states could keep their circle shield shapes, but each one would have their state name at the top of the circle, or an abbreviation of some sort for that). I am just surprised that five states chose to stay exactly the same, but I have nothing against any of those states. I am simply an advocate of innovation, especially with state route shields. But anyway, back to the original question, the reason I ask this is because my depressed, pessimistic, obsessive, psychotic mind - ever since I made the quoted post almost a year ago - has been trying to harass me and make me think that I am a terrible person, and that I came off as being such in this post, and that that post made all of you think that, and more. I've learned that my mind is not to be trusted so much when it harasses me like that, but it is still incredibly strong, and it has a rigorous hold on me. Another thing is that sometimes I have trouble saying or writing/typing things exactly the way that I think it in my mind, so sometimes what I say is not truly representative of my actual thoughts (though most of the time, I'd say that this isn't a problem). Once again, sorry for such a stupid question, but I guess I just need some reassurance on this because I cannot escape the wrath of my mind. So, do any of you think that I am a terrible person, and that I "highly dislike state route circle and square shields" (which is not true)?

:pan:  :banghead:  :ded:  X-(

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

sparker

The California state shields are easy to pick out from a crowded background; that's the advantage of medium-bright green.  The problem today is that only a few districts can churn out a decent-looking sign; apparently they're supplying blank shields (nominally 2-digit or the wider 3-digit) and the local shops are applying the numbers as needed.  The district in which I live (4) is particularly sloppy about applying the numbers; often they're the wrong size, they're crooked -- and if by chance they're reasonably straight, the kerning is way off (Just drive down CA 85 or 87 some time for multiple examples of this problem).  Ironically the route with the most consistent decent-looking reassurance shields has been CA 82 -- a boulevard (El Camino Real).  Other districts, like 6 & 10 over in the Central Valley, seem to be much better at producing nice signage.   

cjk374

Quote from: roadman65 on October 28, 2017, 03:20:17 PM
Louisiana before they went black and white used to be good in the green state outline.

Louisiana's state shields also held up so much better when they were green & white. If you have looked in the Louisiana threads in the Midsouth & Southeast boards, you have seen jbnv's pics of the digits peeling off of the shields. I have also seen the black fading to white due to sun exposure (both state shields and the directional banners). The materials used now are not durable at all, and is a big waste of money. As a Louisiana taxpayer, I feel like spending a little more money on more durable signage is money well spent.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

csw

I generally prefer any of the designs with the state outline superimposed, a la Arizona, Arkansas, Missouri, Ohio. I also like the look of the Kansas and Nebraska shields.

As far as least favorite, I think the Washington state and Hawai'i designs look kind of dopey.

jakeroot

Quote from: csw on October 29, 2017, 10:43:44 PM
As far as least favorite, I think the...Hawai'i [design] look kind of dopey.

Hawaii has always been one of my favorites. I love the guitar pick. It's quite similar to Oregon (just upside-down). It provides a large space for numbers, while still being (relatively) unique.

Scott5114

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 28, 2017, 03:49:06 PM
Also, I apologize for having a rather strange question, but my severely mentally ill mind will not leave me alone about it.

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 05, 2017, 11:31:40 AM
I voted for the Florida state route shield. I highly like all of the usual favorites, such as California, Kansas, Minnesota, and Pennsylvania. However, when it comes to states I have actually been to and seen the shields in person, probably my very favorites are Florida and Colorado. I honestly don't see why states like Mississippi or Kentucky couldn't decide on something more inventive.

Does the bolded part of what I said come off as being harsh?

Harsh to who, the state DOTs? It's fortunately exceedingly hard to hurt a government agency's feelings. The only one that's more or less guaranteed to see your post is Kentucky's, and the guy reading it, being a roadgeek, might even agree with you. :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.