What is the most common business in your area?

Started by hotdogPi, January 03, 2017, 02:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thing 342

In Newport News, we have an inexplicably-multiplying number of 7-Elevens. A quick GMaps search shows nearly 20 within a 2-mile radius of my parents' house.

doorknob60

I'm not gonna try to count Boise, but in Meridian, here's what I come up with:

1. Jackson's (convenience store, attached to either Shell or Chevron gas stations) - 9 Locations
2. Starbucks - 7 Locations* (if you also count the ones inside Fred Meyer and Albertsons grocery stores, the number is 4 if those don't count)
3. Subway - 6 Locations
3.1. McDonald's - 6 Locations*
4. Maverik (gas station and convenience store) - 4 Locations

*One of them is on the border of Meridian and Eagle, might be unincorporated Ada County if Google Maps is to be believed; but the street address is in Meridian so I count it, even though the Subway in the same shopping center/parking lot has an Eagle address. I rank Subway above McD's for that reason (Subway would have 7 if you counted the one next to the 6th McD's).

Not going to try to count anything past that, hopefully I didn't miss anything with 4+ locations.

So yeah, even what I thought would be an easy city to count, is confusing due to ambiguous borders, but oh well. You could argue Starbucks and Subway should be tied, they are literally in the same building, even though the Starbucks has a Meridian street address and Subway has an Eagle address, because that makes sense!

NWI_Irish96

I'm going to use Clark and Floyd counties as "my area"

Subway - 15
Marathon - 13
Dollar General - 11
McDonald's - 9
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

briantroutman

As a general category (I realize the OP seems to want brand names as opposed to general categories–but...), here in Tampa, it often seems that the most common type of business is the strip club. On a per capita basis, Tampa has to be off the charts.

Back on topic–in my hometown, my first guess was Sunoco stations, and a quick Google Maps search seems to confirm that. Sunoco already had a strong presence in the area going back decades, and with the company's acquisition of Coastal's retail outlets several years ago, it quickly became the ubiquitous gasoline brand in the area. Using Lycoming County as Williamsport's "metro area" , the roughly 12 Sunoco stations easily beat the 9 Subways, 4 McDonald's locations, 4 Sheetz stores, and 4 Dunkin' Donuts shops.

I'd imagine that in many smaller cities–at least in areas with a dominant gasoline retailer–a gasoline station brand would be the most common.

sparker

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on January 05, 2017, 08:38:25 AM
Quote from: US71 on January 04, 2017, 07:48:45 PM
"Discount" stores (Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, Wal-Mart and Target).

We're about to experience a glut in Asian-style restaurants

However, there is soon to be a shortfall, nationwide, in 'authentic Mexican' restaurants... You know to thank!  :bigass:  :spin:  :rofl:

Interestingly, up here in San Jose there's a bit of a glut of Dollar Tree stores (2 on Almaden Expressway alone, within 2 miles of one another) -- and you can't go too many blocks without encountering a taqueria (most of them quite good!).  My preference is for Al Pastor on Meridian near Hamilton (close to my home) -- they even have a burrito with a chile relleno inside! :sombrero:   I regularly stock the bathroom at work with Dollar Tree stuff (TP, air freshener, hand soap, etc.); gets the job done for not too many $$. 

Bruce

Other than chains like Starbucks, there's a lot of teriyaki and pho joints around here. Especially in the suburban strip malls. And most are pretty cheap and good.

inkyatari

In my small town, mom and pop burrito shops.  We have three.

After eating at these places, I'm surprised taco bell is still in business.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

jeffandnicole

I have 3 Walmarts under 5 miles from my house (including 2 in the same town); 4 if you include one across the river in Philly.

Within 4 miles: Dunkin Donuts (9 locations), Heritages (a local chain of convenience stores) (7 locations), Wawa (6), and McDonalds (4).

cl94

Stewart's (an eastern New York convenience store chain). I don't think it's even a contest there. To give you an idea, Saratoga County alone has 50 as of tomorrow. Troy, where I live, has 8 inside the city limits, or one for every 6,300 city residents, and 11 more within a couple miles of the border. Within 5 miles of my apartment are at least 15. Three are within walking distance.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

I figured it would be Stewarts for the Capital District.  Just didn't feel like counting every business.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SignGeek101

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on January 11, 2017, 06:07:59 PM
I figured it would be Stewarts for the Capital District.  Just didn't feel like counting every business.

^This.  Glad someone else went through that.

Although there has to be fewer Dunkin Donuts in the area than Stewart's, wonder how many of them there are around.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on January 12, 2017, 08:21:52 AM
Quote from: vdeane on January 11, 2017, 06:07:59 PM

^This.  Glad someone else went through that.

Although there has to be fewer Dunkin Donuts in the area than Stewart's, wonder how many of them there are around.

I didn't count. Stewart's posted that their 50th Saratoga County store opens today on their website and I know that at least 3/4 of their 330+ stores are in the 11-county extended Capital District. In the inner portion of the Albany metro, Dunkin Donuts are nearly as common as Stewart's (but not as common). Within 5 miles of my ZIP code are 12 locations, compared to 15+ Stewart's locations, and only 1 DD is within walking distance of my apartment. Frequency drops off dramatically once you get past Malta, though.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

frankenroad

In my area, it's probably Subway - since they have free-standing locations plus seem to be in every BP Station and Wal-Mart.

In Waikiki, it's a tie between Starbucks and ABC stores.   There is at least one of each on every corner, it seems.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

thenetwork

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on January 05, 2017, 08:38:25 AM
Quote from: US71 on January 04, 2017, 07:48:45 PM
"Discount" stores (Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, Wal-Mart and Target).

We're about to experience a glut in Asian-style restaurants

However, there is soon to be a shortfall, nationwide, in 'authentic Mexican' restaurants... You know to thank!  :bigass:  :spin:  :rofl:

Not in Grand Junction, CO.  I think there are more Mexican restaurants than any other cuisine in town -- and most are local or regional restaurants.  It seems like a 3-to-1 ratio, or at least when a new restaurant opens in town, there is a 75% chance it will be Mexican.

Just yesterday, I noticed we are getting TWO American-fare Restaurants!!!   Looks like Freddy's Steakburger & Frozen Custard is moving to town in a big way -- they even put up the main signs before the foundations were poured at both locations!  We have also heard that we were to get a Cici's, Fazolis and Joe's Crab Shack -- but those have never panned out.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.