News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highways That Run Over Burial Grounds

Started by ColossalBlocks, January 15, 2017, 04:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColossalBlocks

Does anyone know of any highways in your state/province that run over burial grounds?

Take I-4 at the St Johns River in Sanford, Florida for example. "Legend has it this small stretch of highway was built over the graves of four German immigrants who died of yellow fever. This area has supposedly had an unusually high number of accidents as well as two hurricanes that seemed to follow its path.

This video is from way back in 2009, but it shows just how long locals have been talking about the I-4 Dead Zone. It also shows some interesting evidence and digs a little deeper into the story of our haunted highway." http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/florida/i-4-dead-zone-fl/
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

1995hoo

It's not in my state, but the Interboro Parkway in New York was pushed through three cemeteries, two of which needed grave removals to make room. One of them (Cypress Hills) is where Jackie Robinson and Mae West are buried.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on January 15, 2017, 04:15:54 PM
Does anyone know of any highways in your state/province that run over burial grounds?

Take I-4 at the St Johns River in Sanford, Florida for example. "Legend has it this small stretch of highway was built over the graves of four German immigrants who died of yellow fever. This area has supposedly had an unusually high number of accidents as well as two hurricanes that seemed to follow its path.

This video is from way back in 2009, but it shows just how long locals have been talking about the I-4 Dead Zone. It also shows some interesting evidence and digs a little deeper into the story of our haunted highway." http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/florida/i-4-dead-zone-fl/

Really the problem with that stretch of I-4 was that it was built below capacity.  I doubt many of these kind of stories will continue now that the road is being expanded to six lanes. 

Me personally I don't believe in this hoodoo stuff....but then again maybe they didn't relocate the bodies and just moved the headstones:

There was a thing in Arizona where people used to talk about US 666 being haunted until it was changed to US 191.  Basically it was all total bull crap, the fatality rate was never that high and think people were keying off with how crazy the alignment of the Coronado Trail was.

ColossalBlocks

I honestly don't believe in hoodoo crap either, i was just looking for roads that pushed through cemeteries, like 1995hoo mentioned above.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Rothman

When I was a kid, some tabloid show ("A Current Affair"?) claimed NJ 55 was built over some Native American burial ground and therefore was subject to a higher number of accidents.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on January 15, 2017, 05:59:18 PM
I honestly don't believe in hoodoo crap either, i was just looking for roads that pushed through cemeteries, like 1995hoo mentioned above.

The irony with all that I-4 stuff is that there is so many cemeteries and towns in Florida that are long forgotten or are long buried by the modern infrastructure.  I used to hear something similar from the locals down in the Keys about US 1 next to Veterans Key where they were building the new highway bridge next to the Overseas Railroad.  Really anywhere you get some extra abnormally high fatalities on the roadway people kind of start digging into the past history of the area to come up with these stories.  Incidentally dangerousroads.org has a lot of ghost stories about haunted roadways scattered about their site:

http://www.dangerousroads.org/

1995hoo

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on January 15, 2017, 05:59:18 PM
Just in case it wasn't clear, I'm not superstitious either, although when it comes to sports I have a well-honed sense for what's lucky and unlucky.

slorydn1

I may be wrong but I want to say I-196 between Georgetown Township and Grand Rapids is either built on, or very very close to, an Indian burial site close to the Grand River.

I was pretty young (end of 3rd grade) when I moved away from there but I really want to say I heard that back then (now I am going to have to study up on it to be sure).
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

inkyatari

I-55 through State Park Place / Fairmont City IL has to be, what with the interstate being literally at the foot of the Cahokia Mounds
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

PHLBOS

If one's counting cemeteries, it appears that the Garden State Parkway cuts through Holy Sepulcher Cemetery.

Anybody know the history regarding the above?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

GaryV

Quote from: slorydn1 on January 27, 2017, 04:41:47 AM
I may be wrong but I want to say I-196 between Georgetown Township and Grand Rapids is either built on, or very very close to, an Indian burial site close to the Grand River.

I was pretty young (end of 3rd grade) when I moved away from there but I really want to say I heard that back then (now I am going to have to study up on it to be sure).

The Norton Mound group is near to, but not under, I-196:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_Mound_Group

But when I searched for this, I found something I never knew before - that there were mounds on the west side of the river in what is now part of the city, that were built over long ago: http://www.historygrandrapids.org/audio/2497/indian-mounds

oscar

Native burial sites are a huge PITA in Hawaii, especially since often nobody knows (or is willing to disclose) exactly where they are, and native Hawaiian organizations can be balky about allowing reburials. So if construction crews encounter such sites, they might need to do a quickie reroute of the road (within an especially wide ROW, to allow for that contingency).

Interstate H-3 was reportedly subject to a curse when it was built through the Halawa Valley, though AFAIK that was because of the overall sacred status of the valley rather than any specific burial sites. Funny stuff reportedly happened during construction, such as mysterious movements of construction equipment, though that seems to have stopped after the freeway was fully opened to traffic in 1997.

IIRC. when Interstate 15 was built north of Escondido CA, construction crews encountered previously unknown native burial sites. Construction was briefly interrupted to arrange for reburials of the remains (with tribal permission).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Buffaboy

Did NY-33 really cut through Pine Ridge Cemetary as it appears on the map?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

txstateends

I've posted about this before, but when the original phase of Central Expwy. (US 75) was built north of downtown Dallas, it was not known widely at the time, but the highway structures built in the vicinity of what is now the Lemmon Ave. exit were built over numerous graves of African-Americans.  When work had begun on the redo/widening of Central, eventually over 1000 bodies were found and had to be re-interred.   The Freedmen's Cemetery and memorial site at the SW corner of Central/Lemmon is where those souls rest now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Expressway_(Dallas)

http://www.dfwfreeways.com/book/ChCentralOriginal?startOdd=False&pdfSize=11%2BMB&pdfFile=Dallas-Fort-Worth-Freeways-book-03-20140803.pdf

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=2175657
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Rothman on January 15, 2017, 06:16:07 PM
When I was a kid, some tabloid show ("A Current Affair"?) claimed NJ 55 was built over some Native American burial ground and therefore was subject to a higher number of accidents.

If I could find local newspapers from the 80's when the highway was built, it was talked about extensively back then.

MikeCL

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 15, 2017, 04:22:03 PM
It's not in my state, but the Interboro Parkway in New York was pushed through three cemeteries, two of which needed grave removals to make room. One of them (Cypress Hills) is where Jackie Robinson and Mae West are buried.

Wow the only time I heard "Interboro" parkway was from my GPS and Wiki but yes The Jackie Robinson does cross a lot.. my girl friend lives out in Brooklyn and the section when you come up to them it's very curvy but I never knew they needed to have the graves removed some of the idiots that drive in that section I feel it's a crash waiting to happen.

adventurernumber1

I've seen a recurring program on The Weather Channel about the "I-4 Deadzone," which is near Sanford, Florida. Typically I don't believe much in paranormal stuff, but I will say that the stories that I have heard from that stretch of interstate are quite uncanny. It is an eerie coincidence that, IIRC, Hurricane Donna changed direction and headed toward the Orlando area right as they broke ground for Interstate 4. Some of the stories regarding the "I-4 Deadzone" are actually incredibly creepy. With all that said, I would still have no hesitance to ride on that stretch of Interstate 4. However, I would preferably not do so at night, just to be safe.  :poke:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on February 01, 2017, 08:23:50 PM
I've seen a recurring program on The Weather Channel about the "I-4 Deadzone," which is near Sanford, Florida. Typically I don't believe much in paranormal stuff, but I will say that the stories that I have heard from that stretch of interstate are quite uncanny. It is an eerie coincidence that, IIRC, Hurricane Donna changed direction and headed toward the Orlando area right as they broke ground for Interstate 4. Some of the stories regarding the "I-4 Deadzone" are actually incredibly creepy. With all that said, I would still have no hesitance to ride on that stretch of Interstate 4. However, I would preferably not do so at night, just to be safe.  :poke:

I'd say the poor substandard old four-lane design had more to do with the weird accidents.  I've driven that section of I-4 from Sanford to Daytona hundreds of time and never once saw anything out of the ordinary asides from bad driving habits on top of tons of wrecks. 

jwolfer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 01, 2017, 10:12:53 PM

I'd say the poor substandard old four-lane design had more to do with the weird accidents.  I've driven that section of I-4 from Sanford to Daytona hundreds of time and never once saw anything out of the ordinary asides from bad driving habits on top of tons of wrecks.
I used to drive that section a few times a week. Once the bridge was replaced it was much better.

I have heard that 4 is a bad luck number in China, appartly the symbol is the same as death.

A couple years ago a dump truck had a blowout there during the AM rush. It went across the median hit and crushed a car. The driver was instantly killed, she was a nurse on her way into her shift.

I was litterally minutes ahead of it. A few coworkers were over an hour late to work

LGMS428

RobbieL2415

I'm pretty sure if I-291 was completed west of Hartford it would have cut through a cemetery in Bloomfield.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jwolfer on February 01, 2017, 10:26:40 PM

I used to drive that section a few times a week. Once the bridge was replaced it was much better.

I have heard that 4 is a bad luck number in China, appartly the symbol is the same as death.

A couple years ago a dump truck had a blowout there during the AM rush. It went across the median hit and crushed a car. The driver was instantly killed, she was a nurse on her way into her shift.

I was litterally minutes ahead of it. A few coworkers were over an hour late to work

LGMS428

I did basically whatever I could to avoid I-4 in general in every direction.  I would usually take FL 50 west out of the Orlando via the 408 or even a combo of 417 and US 17 to get to Jacksonville.  It has to be near the top of the heap of most miserable roadways in the country, not a single piece of it really ought to be considered "safe" much less "haunted."  Hopefully I-4 Ultimate and the ongoing project between Sanford to Daytona helps with things.  Really Orlando could use an untolled bypass to drive some of the freeloader traffic off it, but if you are willing to pay then 417 is a fantastic option.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 01, 2017, 11:48:33 PM

LGMS428

I did basically whatever I could to avoid I-4 in general in every direction.  I would usually take FL 50 west out of the Orlando via the 408 or even a combo of 417 and US 17 to get to Jacksonville.  It has to be near the top of the heap of most miserable roadways in the country, not a single piece of it really ought to be considered "safe" much less "haunted."  Hopefully I-4 Ultimate and the ongoing project between Sanford to Daytona helps with things.  Really Orlando could use an untolled bypass to drive some of the freeloader traffic off it, but if you are willing to pay then 417 is a fantastic option.

That's quite understandable. With the alleged haunting put aside, Interstate 4 is still a rough road. I agree that hopefully the "I-4 Ultimate" project will make the situation better. I am looking forward to seeing that being done.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

1995hoo

Quote from: MikeCL on January 31, 2017, 09:42:42 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 15, 2017, 04:22:03 PM

Wow the only time I heard "Interboro" parkway was from my GPS and Wiki ....

That's its original (and real!) name.

jwolfer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 01, 2017, 11:48:33 PM

LGMS428

417 ( and 429 soon) are oftne the best way to get through Orlando and coming from the north best way to get to Disney

I have driven Jax-Orlando so many times.. I have taken 17 a few times i like using SR 19 from Tavares to Palatka also. 19 is through Ocala National Forest pretry much wilderness coe much of the way.  You will lose cell service 

LGMS428

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.