News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Have you ever committed sign theft?

Started by Quillz, January 22, 2017, 06:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

If this isn't appropriate, feel free to close this thread.

Let's be honest... We've all pulled college pranks. Anyone here ever stolen a road sign? I haven't personally, but a friend of mine recently "found" a US-101 shield from around the SLO, CA area (a college town). Even one of my college professors has a genuine US-66 shield in his office that he took from a sign gantry back in the early 60s.

DaBigE

"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Quillz

jwolfer

SignGeek101

No, but there is a road marker that was knocked over and is now in the ditch next to the bus stop I go to everyday. The sign has already been replaced. Since I'm doubtful the city or no one else will take it, will taking the sign constitute theft? I've been tempted...

nexus73

Nope. 

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

corco

I may at one point have removed a street blade sign at an intersection more than ten years ago. I don't see a particular need to go into more details other than to say it was done under cover of darkness and there was alcohol involved.

Buck87

Nope, though I have some family members who have. One I know for sure is an aunt who has a stop sign that was taken from some side street in Portsmouth, Ohio in the 1960's. Then there's an OH 269 shield that lays upside down covering an old well at my Grandma's farm, which I don't know the backstory of (though I would assume it was brought there by one of my uncles in their youth)

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

I've considered it, but Washington has a very strict "old signs must be recycled" policy, and workers don't give away old signage (officially). I believe the punishment for taking signage (of any age) is death by gallows.

Max Rockatansky

Back in the second grade a couple of friends and I stole a stop sign from the local bus stop.  We actually hung it up as the prized possession of some tree fort we built in the woods.  Of course that fort eventually fell down which led to the discovery of the sign.  All parental parties involved were pretty pissed and punishments were dealt.  Funny thing was though my Dad actually went and got the sign out of the trash bin that it ended up in so he could hang it up in the garage with the mopeds.  We had all sorts of weird junk in there including a full oil drum that we found in the woods.

But in my sign collecting days the answer would be a negative, I've always bought my stuff legit.

slorydn1

I may or may not have knowledge of the sudden disappearance of a Chicago Ave subway sign on the State Street line circa 1986 or so (one of the small rectangular pole mounted signs from the platform itself).
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

hbelkins

I will plead the Fifth Amendment with regard to any activity that may have taken place during my freshman year of college.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mrt90

I saw a Pardeeville Population sign like this one https://www.google.com/maps/@43.5250181,-89.3044992,3a,15y,43.43h,84.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKAnq71iMqnHS4Wcw8uTA2g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en)
in this field in Wadsworth, IL. Pardeeville is in Wisconsin, a little north of Madison. Wadsworth is about 50 miles north of Chicago, pretty close to the WI/IL state line.

I don't think the sign is there anymore, but you can kind of see it on Google Maps although it is fuzzy.  It is partially blocked by the RV but you can see the green sign in front of the RV.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4602105,-87.9035168,3a,15y,79.86h,87.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seBapw7YBgINLEFYdskD2ag!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

It was pretty far from the road, but I just always thought it was funny how they blatantly displayed a stolen sign out in the open like that.

cl94

Is it theft if a sign is on the ground?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jakeroot

Statute of limitation for theft of public property varies between states, but I know of none longer than 10 years.

Just in case any of you are worried about incriminating yourselves.

DaBigE

Quote from: cl94 on January 23, 2017, 03:38:27 PM

I'm no fancy big city lawyer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but I would say it depends on if a property sticker is attached, and/or how close said sign is found from an empty post or construction site.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

GaryV

This thread seems like one Bandit would have started.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GaryV on January 23, 2017, 05:02:26 PM

Doesn't involve gum though.

Takumi

Quote from: cl94 on January 23, 2017, 03:38:27 PM
Yeah, I allegedly may know someone who found a sign on the ground...
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 23, 2017, 05:26:43 PM
Quote from: GaryV on January 23, 2017, 05:02:26 PM

Doesn't involve gum though.
"Have you ever committed sign theft while chewing gum?"
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Bruce

If there's ever a need for you to steal one, just wear an orange vest and some official-looking equipment. Act like you belong

Some DOTs have surplus stores where you can buy old signs. Seattle has a street sign store that I've been meaning to buy from for a long time.

triplemultiplex

I have a couple signs that were not gifts or purchases.  That's all I will say definitively.
My favorite is easily the 28" x 24" I-794 cutout of Marquette Interchange reconstruction vintage.
It'll look great in my garage, if I ever own one of those.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

GCrites

I have an Iowa U.S. 69 sign that I don't recall how I obtained. I do know that I've had it since high school.

cjk374

Deep thought from a shallow mind: are you really "stealing" a sign that your money...in the form of taxes...already paid for? (I know the actual answer is "yes" but think about it for a second)
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.