Trump's Infrastructure Priorty List (Top 50 Projects) Leaked

Started by CanesFan27, January 24, 2017, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

The Kansas City Star & McClatchy News Bureau today published a story that Trump's team has compiled a list of 50 top infrastructure projects at a cost of at least $137.5 billion.  The projects would be private and public investments.  The article states that it is not known if the list is final or a draft.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/politics-government/article128492614.html

The list includes:
- Numerous lock & dam replacement/repair projects
- The atlantic coast pipeline (natural gas)
- What seems to be the widening all of 95 in North Carolina
- Replacement of 15 bridges along I-95 in Philadelphia
- The I-71/75 Brent Spence Bridge
- High Speed rail from Dallas to Houston
- A few projects in Detroit
- The Purple Line in Metro DC
- And more

The list of projects and some details can be found here:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3409546-Emergency-NatSec50Projects-121416-1-Reduced.html

froggie

It should be noted that they intend half the funding to be acquired from the public-private partnerships.

A more detailed breakdown (listed in apparent order of priority by number):

Road projects:
2)  I-71/I-75 Brent Spence Bridge
5)  I-95 North Carolina "Critical Repairs" (is $1.5 billion enough to widen it as well as rebuild?  I thought the cost estimates for widening were higher.)
6)  I-95 Philadelphia bridges (which apparently includes the Girard Point Bridge over the Schuylkill River)
25) "Gordie Howe International Bridge" (the planned International bridge in Detroit that'll connect I-75 to ON 401)
27)  Peace Bridge in Buffalo, NY
30)  I-93 reconstruction/expansion in New Hampshire
31)  Lake Pontchartrain Bridge (cost listed is only $125 million, so not even close for a new span)
35)  I-95/I-395/FL 836 reconstruction in Miami
39)  I-70 Mountain Corridor in Colorado (apparently building a dynamic shoulder lane along 13 miles of eastbound I-70, but doesn't specify where)
40)  I-25 improvements in Colorado
48)  Arlington Memorial Bridge in D.C.

Rail/transit projects:
1)  Gateway Project (Amtrak NEC under the Hudson River)
13) Texas Cental Railway (high-speed rail from Dallas to Houston)
14) Cotton Belt Line Rail Project (Dallas-Ft Worth commuter rail)
18) NYC Second Ave Subway (Phases 2 & 3)
22) D.C. Union Station expansion
23) Maryland Purple Line
24) M-1 Rail Project in Detroit
28) MBTA Green Line Extension in Boston
33) Howard St Tunnel in Baltimore
34) Red and Purple Line modernization in Chicago
36) Chicago Union Station Redevelopment

Other:
8) NextGen Air Traffic Control System
- 3 other airport projects
43) Soo Locks Reconstruction
- 8 other waterway projects
- 5 other water (not waterway-related) projects
- 2 port projects
- 7 energy projects
- 1 research project

nexus73

Today saw Trump give a go-ahead for two pipeline projects that Obama and the Demos slow walked to death at great cost of time and money.  What I am waiting to see is how many regulations get trimmed so we can actually get stuff built in a timely fashion, which by itself would save some dinero.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

1995hoo

Regarding I-95 in North Carolina, there was a report today that widening said Route in South Carolina would cost about $4 billion including necessary interchange reconstruction to make room for the added lanes. I-95 in North Carolina is about ten or twelve miles shorter and has the more modern section near Fayetteville, so it might not cost quite as much, but then on the other hand it has the very problematic section in Lumberton. Can't imagine they could widen it for just $1.5 billion.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CanesFan27

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 24, 2017, 10:40:04 PM
Regarding I-95 in North Carolina, there was a report today that widening said Route in South Carolina would cost about $4 billion including necessary interchange reconstruction to make room for the added lanes. I-95 in North Carolina is about ten or twelve miles shorter and has the more modern section near Fayetteville, so it might not cost quite as much, but then on the other hand it has the very problematic section in Lumberton. Can't imagine they could widen it for just $1.5 billion.

Less swamps/bridges crossed along the route vs. South Carolina. 

froggie

QuoteWhat I am waiting to see is how many regulations get trimmed so we can actually get stuff built in a timely fashion, which by itself would save some dinero.

At the expense of environmental mitigation and protection.  Or, to put it more simply, we'd be burning the roof to stay warm...

QuoteLess swamps/bridges crossed along the route vs. South Carolina.

Still, given the mileage involved, I doubt a reconstruction AND widening of I-95 through North Carolina could be done for $1.5B.

cl94

Quote from: froggie on January 24, 2017, 10:47:56 PM
QuoteWhat I am waiting to see is how many regulations get trimmed so we can actually get stuff built in a timely fashion, which by itself would save some dinero.

At the expense of environmental mitigation and protection.  Or, to put it more simply, we'd be burning the roof to stay warm...

And Native American sovereignty. But treaties be damned, right?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

coatimundi

Quote from: froggie on January 24, 2017, 09:25:44 PM
25) "Gordie Howe International Bridge" (the planned International bridge in Detroit that'll connect I-75 to ON 401)

"Strap on your skates, Gordie, you're goin' in!"

PHLBOS

Quote6)  I-95 Philadelphia bridges (which apparently includes the Girard Point Bridge over the Schuylkill River)
The listing states 15 bridges along I-95 in Philly.  Given that much of I-95 in Northeast Philadelphia is either under reconstruction or has just been reconstructed; I'm assuming that the stretch in question runs south of Penns Landing to the Enterprise Ave. interchange just south of the Girard Point Bridge (most of it being elevated viaducts), all of which was constructed during the mid-to-late 1970s.

I'm not sure if the Girard Point Bridge would be actually included; work on that bridge was just done (including the painting of the structural steel from DOT green to blue) a few years ago.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

frankenroad

As a frequent user of the I-71/75 Brent Spence Bridge, I am happy to see this at the top -- this is long overdue.  However, I am not looking forward to 8-10 years of construction.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Henry

At least us roadgeeks can appreciate Trump for getting at least one (or is it fifty?) priorities in order!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

froggie

QuoteThe listing states 15 bridges along I-95 in Philly.  Given that much of I-95 in Northeast Philadelphia is either under reconstruction or has just been reconstructed; I'm assuming that the stretch in question runs south of Penns Landing to the Enterprise Ave. interchange just south of the Girard Point Bridge (most of it being elevated viaducts), all of which was constructed during the mid-to-late 1970s.

I'm not sure if the Girard Point Bridge would be actually included; work on that bridge was just done (including the painting of the structural steel from DOT green to blue) a few years ago.

The presentation for that project includes a photo of the Girard Point Bridge, hence my speculation that it's included despite it having received the work you mentioned.

mvak36

Quote from: Henry on January 25, 2017, 10:31:10 AM
At least us roadgeeks can appreciate Trump for getting at least one (or is it fifty?) priorities in order!

I like that he's doing it. The only thing I'm worried about is if we end up having to pay more tolls because of it. I'm ok with tolls on bridges like the Brent Spence or the Gordie Howe because they are expensive to maintain, but probably not on currently free interstate mainlines.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on January 24, 2017, 10:49:43 PM

You mean the pipeline that goes near, but does not cross into, the Indian reservation? The one that they've been protesting well after the fact instead of objecting during the approval process?

No sympathy for the Standing Rock Sioux here. Time to put the nightmare of the past eight years behind us and get on with moving America forward.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: mvak36 on January 25, 2017, 11:03:08 AM

I like that he's doing it. The only thing I'm worried about is if we end up having to pay more tolls because of it. I'm ok with tolls on bridges like the Brent Spence or the Gordie Howe because they are expensive to maintain, but probably not on currently free interstate mainlines.

By all accounts, private finance will feature heavily in the infrastructure program, so I think tolls can be expected.

CanesFan27

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 24, 2017, 10:40:04 PM

In 2012 - the estimate was $4 4 billion. 

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2012/02/i-95-tolling-public-hearing-wilson-nc.html?m=1

Maybe some of the ideas and scope in n the 2012 proposal were cut.  Worth looking into.

SP Cook

Quote from: hbelkins on January 25, 2017, 11:12:06 AM

You mean the pipeline that goes near, but does not cross into, the Indian reservation? The one that they've been protesting well after the fact instead of objecting during the approval process?

No sympathy for the Standing Rock Sioux here. Time to put the nightmare of the past eight years behind us and get on with moving America forward.

Don't go confusing good slogan spewing with the actual facts of the situation, now. 

If you look at the signage of the nut-fringers protesting these types of projects their goal is to "leave it in the ground" which is an insane position unworty of being taken seriously.

As to the list generally, the only boondoggle on there is the Purple Line.  The answer to DC's traffic and transit problems in our technological world is to move every function that can be done elsewhere, elsewhere.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: froggie on January 25, 2017, 10:50:09 AM
QuoteThe listing states 15 bridges along I-95 in Philly.  Given that much of I-95 in Northeast Philadelphia is either under reconstruction or has just been reconstructed; I'm assuming that the stretch in question runs south of Penns Landing to the Enterprise Ave. interchange just south of the Girard Point Bridge (most of it being elevated viaducts), all of which was constructed during the mid-to-late 1970s.

The presentation for that project includes a photo of the Girard Point Bridge, hence my speculation that it's included despite it having received the work you mentioned.

In the FY15 TIP for Philly, there's mention of rehab and maintenance work that needs to be done.   It mentions painting as well, although I could only imagine it's minor paint work that needs to be done as the bridge was already extensively repainted.  http://www.dvrpc.org/TIP/pafinal/2015/phil15f.pdf, page 104, which was unfunded.

Interestingly, it's omitted from the current TIP.  There are some other projects regarding I-95, but I didn't see anything in regards to a project with 15 bridges.  The funding requests could be for multiple projects though.  http://www.dvrpc.org/TIP/pafinal/2017/phil17f.pdf, mostly pages 25 - 29.

kalvado

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on January 25, 2017, 11:12:36 AM
Quote from: mvak36 on January 25, 2017, 11:03:08 AM

By all accounts, private finance will feature heavily in the infrastructure program, so I think tolls can be expected.
Alternative is more tax  - mostly gas, so it can be dedicated to roads. Which would probably be about the same at the end of the day.
I don't like the way AET systems currently work where transactions cannot be settled on the spot - but that is a very separate from tolls themselves and the way those money are spent.

Jmiles32

Quote from: froggie on January 24, 2017, 09:25:44 PM
It should be noted that they intend half the funding to be acquired from the public-private partnerships.

A more detailed breakdown (listed in apparent order of priority by number):

Road projects:
2)  I-71/I-75 Brent Spence Bridge
5)  I-95 North Carolina "Critical Repairs" (is $1.5 billion enough to widen it as well as rebuild?  I thought the cost estimates for widening were higher.)
6)  I-95 Philadelphia bridges (which apparently includes the Girard Point Bridge over the Schuylkill River)
27)  Peace Bridge in Buffalo, NY
30)  I-93 reconstruction/expansion in New Hampshire
31)  Lake Pontchartrain Bridge (cost listed is only $125 million, so not even close for a new span)
35)  I-95/I-395/FL 836 reconstruction in Miami
39)  I-70 Mountain Corridor in Colorado (apparently building a dynamic shoulder lane along 13 miles of eastbound I-70, but doesn't specify where)
40)  I-25 improvements in Colorado
48)  Arlington Memorial Bridge in D.C.

Rail/transit projects:
1)  Gateway Project (Amtrak NEC under the Hudson River)
13) Texas Cental Railway (high-speed rail from Dallas to Houston)
14) Cotton Belt Line Rail Project (Dallas-Ft Worth commuter rail)
18) NYC Second Ave Subway (Phases 2 & 3)
22) D.C. Union Station expansion
23) Maryland Purple Line
24) M-1 Rail Project in Detroit
28) MBTA Green Line Extension in Boston
33) Howard St Tunnel in Baltimore
34) Red and Purple Line modernization in Chicago
36) Chicago Union Station Redevelopment

Other:
8) NextGen Air Traffic Control System
- 3 other airport projects
43) Soo Locks Reconstruction
- 8 other waterway projects
- 5 other water (not waterway-related) projects
- 2 port projects
- 7 energy projects
- 1 research project

Surprised that a long overdue widening of I-81 in VA does not appear to have made the list.
http://www.richmond.com/news/article_00698499-4f9c-5ce5-9a06-2ca917fc6da8.html
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

hbelkins

I don't know if the numerical rankings mean anything, but the I-75 Brent Spence Bridge is #2 on the list. It definitely needs to be done, but there's a very vocal contingent in northern Kentucky that's vehemently anti-toll. I don't know if its inclusion on this list precludes the need for tolls, or if it's going to be 100 percent federally-funded instead of the traditional 80-20. But  if tolls are involved, there will be a few in the region that will come out against the project.

Plus, there are a few that are still pushing hard for the outer bypass, or at least the eastern leg of it, and leaving the Brent Spence as-is

I'd imagine that Kentucky's Gov. Bevin lobbied hard for this, as I'd expect Kasich is persona non grata in the White House. Remember that when Trump held his "thank-you" rally in Cincinnati, he had Bevin introduce Pence instead of Kasich.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

vdeane

Quote from: hbelkins on January 25, 2017, 11:12:06 AM
Quote from: cl94 on January 24, 2017, 10:49:43 PM

They were granted the land the pipeline travels through by treaty.  The US government then violated that treaty and took the land for white settlers.  Just because it happened a long time ago doesn't make the treaty null and void.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Jmiles32

Quote from: LM117 on January 25, 2017, 09:29:07 PM
Quote from: Jmiles32 on January 25, 2017, 08:30:28 PMSurprised that a long overdue widening of I-81 in VA does not appear to have made the list.
http://www.richmond.com/news/article_00698499-4f9c-5ce5-9a06-2ca917fc6da8.html

It probably made too much sense. :pan:

I suspect that the road projects on this list are were either deemed perhaps not feasible for a PP3 deal or that there was some serious lobbying done to make sure these roads don't get tolled. Unfortunately that may mean a tolled I-81 in Virginia, a tolled I-95 in South Carolina, a tolled I-73 in both states, and various other tolled highways and bridges around the country that may be profitable in a PP3 deal.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on January 25, 2017, 08:42:05 PM
I don't know if the numerical rankings mean anything, but the I-75 Brent Spence Bridge is #2 on the list. It definitely needs to be done, but there's a very vocal contingent in northern Kentucky that's vehemently anti-toll. I don't know if its inclusion on this list precludes the need for tolls, or if it's going to be 100 percent federally-funded instead of the traditional 80-20. But  if tolls are involved, there will be a few in the region that will come out against the project.

Plus, there are a few that are still pushing hard for the outer bypass, or at least the eastern leg of it, and leaving the Brent Spence as-is

I'd imagine that Kentucky's Gov. Bevin lobbied hard for this, as I'd expect Kasich is persona non grata in the White House. Remember that when Trump held his "thank-you" rally in Cincinnati, he had Bevin introduce Pence instead of Kasich.

Trump's USDOT secretary, Elaine Chao, being married to Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY) might have a role, too.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.