News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Speed traps in snowy conditions

Started by J Route Z, February 09, 2017, 09:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Route Z

Since cops usually hang out on grassy medians or U-turn's in the median, if these were covered in snow, there's more of a chance they would not go there since their vehicle could get stuck, unless they are all wheel drive. (some median openings have been cleared out by a plow, some have not). Do you think people like to push their luck to go above the speed limit, even if the road was cleared out by using salt and plows, with a possible risk of black ice? Also, cops like to park on the shoulder at times. I doubt they want to risk their own lives by patrolling the road from the shoulder with snow and ice present, since cars may slide and lose control. Even if that does happen, we still need cops in emergency situations! What do you think?

hotdogPi

Are you implying we need speed traps?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

J Route Z

Ha, no I edited my post to clarify we need cops in times of crisis, if cars were sliding and crashing into each other on a slippery road.

oscar

Based on limited experience (since I don't drive a lot in such conditions), ISTM that at least some of cops' favorite hiding places are cleared of snow about as well as the roads are cleared.

If there's that much snow out there, I won't be comfortable exceeding the posted limit anyway, and at lower speeds I'll worry more driving safely than getting busted for "too fast for conditions".
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jakeroot

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but here's my thoughts on police and snow.

I think police should just patrol as usual. Police parked in the median (even if they're just observing drivers (no radar)) creates trepidation, which can cause drivers to over-react to the situation (i.e. panic brake) because they think the police are doing radar; even if said driver isn't speeding, they may brake just in case. Panic braking in snow can lead to a skid or slide, which could be dangerous.

If I were an officer, I would just patrol the streets and assist those who were stuck or need help shoveling. Just be a Good Guy Greg.

gonealookin

I do drive in snow enough, and my observation is that they have their hands full at accident scenes, motorist assistance or some other aspect of traffic control.  If they get a report of a reckless driver they will try to track that one down.  The routine sitting along the road with a radar gun is set aside for those higher priorities.

kphoger

In the northern states I've traveled in during the winter, the highway patrol like to sit in the median crossovers.  Those crossovers are plowed pretty well during the winter months, so it doesn't seem to deter them at all.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on February 10, 2017, 04:14:46 PM
In the northern states I've traveled in during the winter, the highway patrol like to sit in the median crossovers.  Those crossovers are plowed pretty well during the winter months, so it doesn't seem to deter them at all.
One of the things about crossovers - they may used for reasons other than speed trap. Like emergency vehicles turnaround - and that alone is a good reason to keep them clean.
Maybe not that important in the city, but definitely something to consider when ambulance needs to return to hospital and next exit is 10-20 miles away..

cl94

On Friday, I saw quite a few cops along the Thruway sitting in the snow running radar, so no, it doesn't deter them one bit.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on February 12, 2017, 08:04:06 PM
On Friday, I saw quite a few cops along the Thruway sitting in the snow running radar, so no, it doesn't deter them one bit.
I got an impression that k-band is running pretty much all the time for smart asses like we are, and they have something better for actual speed when hunting.

cl94

Quote from: kalvado on February 12, 2017, 08:13:06 PM
Quote from: cl94 on February 12, 2017, 08:04:06 PM
I got an impression that k-band is running pretty much all the time for smart asses like we are, and they have something better for actual speed when hunting.

You'd be surprised. Most of the people they get blow past them. They don't care as much if you slam on the brakes because they know you're paying attention. Almost everyone I witness getting pulled over is going 15+ over past a cop and the cop is usually visible.

But yeah, bunch of cops south of Catskill sitting 10-20 feet off the shoulder.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.