News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 69 in Miami, OK

Started by roadman65, February 17, 2017, 10:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was noticing that US 69 does not quite follow the original route of US 66 completely through Ottawa County's government center.  It does follow part of Steve Owens Boulevard which the historic route did, however it did not use the one way couplet of of A Street as US 69 does parting ways with OK SH 10.  Instead of turned north on Main just where OK 125 terminates and headed through Downtown Miami, as it does have signs that support that fact.

What I find interesting is that Google still shows US 69 using Main and not both A Streets as it is currently signed (or at least was in 2015).  Now is Google uninformed?  It would not be the first time Google messed up with their maps.  However, some city and state agencies do take it upon themselves to to change alignments without letting ASHTO know of their decisions hence US 58 in VA Beach near its terminus with US 60.  In addition ODOT never got ASHTO to approve the truck bypass of US 69 either in Miami, as it is signed on green guide signs along OK SH 10 and OK SH 69A instead of having an official shielded truck route.

It gives me reason to believe that ODOT just uses the power of the pen and does not bother with the red tape of holding hearings and applying through ASHTO.  Considering a third oddity is the fact there is both a State designation of an alternate to US 69 as well as a US one.  Considering that the US version is into Kansas as well, it leads me to believe that ODOT does the easy way of things too, not that I am complaining. 

So is the map of the infamous Google wrong as they sometimes are or is just ODOT just signing for convenience?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

dfwmapper

Fixed now.

ODOT does have a habit of playing fast and loose with routings of US highways. The west half of the US 70 Durant bypass was signed as US 70 Bypass when it was the only part that existed, and AFAIK that was never submitted to AASHTO. They did eventually submit a request to designate the entire length as US 70, though I'm pretty sure the eastern half was already posted as US 70 from the day it opened, which was before the application was submitted, let alone approved.

bugo

Quote from: dfwmapper on February 27, 2017, 11:34:23 PM
Fixed now.

ODOT does have a habit of playing fast and loose with routings of US highways. The west half of the US 70 Durant bypass was signed as US 70 Bypass when it was the only part that existed, and AFAIK that was never submitted to AASHTO. They did eventually submit a request to designate the entire length as US 70, though I'm pretty sure the eastern half was already posted as US 70 from the day it opened, which was before the application was submitted, let alone approved.

US 377 from Madill to Stroud was submitted several times and rejected every time. ODOT finally said the hell with it and signed it anyway. The part north of US 70 isn't really part of the system.

sparker

Quote from: bugo on June 15, 2017, 01:44:53 AM
US 377 from Madill to Stroud was submitted several times and rejected every time. ODOT finally said the hell with it and signed it anyway. The part north of US 70 isn't really part of the system.

I suppose that the fact that US 377 in OK still retains its co-signage with OK 99 indicates a ODOT "fail-safe" fallback in case someone at AASHTO or even FHWA gets a bug up their ass about the "illegitimate" 377 signage and makes a stink about it!  I wonder if the official reluctance at the national level to sign Madill-Stroud as US 377 stems from the fact that about that same time US 177 was extended south some 15 mean miles west of the 99/377 corridor -- and the easterly route may have been deemed unnecessary.

bugo

The Durant bypass is regular US 70. The old US 70 is now a city street. I believe Business 69-75 were also decommed.

Nexus 5X

US71

Quote from: bugo on June 15, 2017, 06:24:23 AM
The Durant bypass is regular US 70. The old US 70 is now a city street. I believe Business 69-75 were also decommed.

Correct (and field verified)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

apeman33

U.S. 69 and it's alternates in Ottawa County have always been a little odd. When I first moved to Fort Scott and looked around, Oklahoma signed it's portion of Alternate 69 with State 69A shields. Later, Oklahoma switched to the cutout U.S. shields (see also Bus. U.S. 60 at the OK-MO state line near Seneca). Now Alt. 69 is signed with the same shields as Kansas and there's an entirely different OK-69A.

US71

Quote from: apeman33 on July 03, 2017, 07:22:54 PM
U.S. 69 and it's alternates in Ottawa County have always been a little odd. When I first moved to Fort Scott and looked around, Oklahoma signed it's portion of Alternate 69 with State 69A shields. Later, Oklahoma switched to the cutout U.S. shields (see also Bus. U.S. 60 at the OK-MO state line near Seneca). Now Alt. 69 is signed with the same shields as Kansas and there's an entirely different OK-69A.

5-6 years ago, Oklahoma was posting OK 69A in some places, Alternate 69 (with a cutout) in others. I really need to go back for some updated photos.

hbelkins

Quote from: sparker on June 15, 2017, 05:57:07 AM
Quote from: bugo on June 15, 2017, 01:44:53 AM

I suppose that the fact that US 377 in OK still retains its co-signage with OK 99 indicates a ODOT "fail-safe" fallback in case someone at AASHTO or even FHWA gets a bug up their ass about the "illegitimate" 377 signage and makes a stink about it!  I wonder if the official reluctance at the national level to sign Madill-Stroud as US 377 stems from the fact that about that same time US 177 was extended south some 15 mean miles west of the 99/377 corridor -- and the easterly route may have been deemed unnecessary.

FHWA has no jurisdiction and AASHTO is a paper tiger.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

The only time I bothered to email them was in 2006 when the first southbound reassurance shield for SH-74 (S) got run over by a truck. It's still missing.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 04, 2017, 12:19:33 PM
The only time I bothered to email them was in 2006 when the first southbound reassurance shield for SH-74 (S) got run over by a truck. It's still missing.

I'm a semi regular thorn in the side with AHTD/ARDOT

rte66man

Did you write to the main office or directly to the Division HQ?  My experience is the division seems much less responsive.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

bugo

The only time I emailed ODOT I inadvertently got a sign removed. There was an OK 82 sign on US 59 just south of Sallisaw and I emailed ODOT and asked them what was up. They said that it was mistakenly posted and that they would be removing it. Sure enough, the next time I was there it was gone. I don't tell state highway departments about error signage anymore because of that. I remember a few years ago Scott Bennett posted here and said that if anybody saw any rogue I-540 shields in the Fayetteville area to contact AHTD so they could replace them. That bugged me for two reasons. One, the highway department should do their job and find them themselves and not ask the general public to basically work for free and because I like sign errors (I run a Facebook group called Sign Errors that is dedicated to, you guessed it, sign errors.) It would be cool if 20 years from now to find a 540 shield in the wild. Some kid might just be getting into roads and seeing an errant 540 shield might be what inspired them to be a road enthusiast. If the sign is dangerous and might cause accidents that is one thing but contacting a highway department because a US route has an errant state highway shield of the same number is petulant and childish.

Scott5114

Quote from: rte66man on July 05, 2017, 10:25:59 AM

Did you write to the main office or directly to the Division HQ?  My experience is the division seems much less responsive.

It was the main email address. January 17, 2006.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.