News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Logo signs - 48" vs. 60" wide panels

Started by Pink Jazz, February 22, 2017, 06:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I was wondering, for logo signs, which states use 48" wide logo panels vs. 60" inch wide logo panels, either statewide or for specific applications?

Here is what I know:

Arizona:
Urban logo panels in most of the Phoenix and Tucson areas are 48" wide, while those in the rural areas are 60" wide.  Areas that were previously under the rural program (Yuma, Flagstaff, Casa Grande, and the outskirts of Phoenix) that are now part of the urban program retain their 60" wide panels, probably for the businesses don't have to fabricate new panels.  Prior to the start of the urban program, the Gas category used 48" wide panels, but now uses 60" wide panels for the rural program as well as the urban areas that were previously part of the rural program (although many older 48" panels are still installed).

New Mexico:
New Mexico uses 48" wide logo panels, statewide for all service types. 

Virginia:
Uses 60" wide logo panels in rural areas for all service types except Gas, which are 48" wide.  Urban areas use 48" wide logo panels for all service types.

I would like to know what standards are used in other states.  Also, I wonder if there is any technical reason for the Gas category to use smaller panels.

Bitmapped

Maryland used to use 48" panels but seems to have changed to 60" panels on newer installs.

roadman

Massachusetts has standardized on 60" wide panels for some time, but 48" wide panels are still used on certain older signs.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

CtrlAltDel

I have no additional information to offer. I'm just here to say that I'm amazed that those logo signs are each five feet wide. That's not at all what I would have guessed. That means that a three-across logo sign is more that 15 feet wide, which is wider, by quite a bit, than the lanes I drive in.

(Sorry for the hijack.)
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Pink Jazz

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 13, 2017, 07:45:35 PM
I have no additional information to offer. I'm just here to say that I'm amazed that those logo signs are each five feet wide. That's not at all what I would have guessed. That means that a three-across logo sign is more that 15 feet wide, which is wider, by quite a bit, than the lanes I drive in.

(Sorry for the hijack.)

And since shoulder width is often more constrained in urban areas, I can see why the 4-foot (48") wide panels would be used in such areas as they are in AZ and VA.

What I don't understand though is the historical use of the narrower panels for Gas.  In Virginia, in rural areas all service types use 60" wide panels except Gas, and this also used to be the standard in Arizona prior to the start of the urban logo sign program (which is now 60" for rural/Flagstaff/Yuma/Casa Grande and 48" for Phoenix/Tucson regardless of the service type).

roadman

(Sorry for the hijack.)

Allowing for proper spacing between LOGO panels (which is usually 8 inches), a typical three across by two deep LOGO sign is 18.5 feet wide by 12 feet high.  This is one of the reasons MassDOT has begun standardizing on a two across by three deep format for most panels, to facilitate easier installation and less clearing and thinning.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pink Jazz

Quote from: roadman on March 16, 2017, 02:21:06 PM

(Sorry for the hijack.)

Allowing for proper spacing between LOGO panels (which is usually 8 inches), a typical three across by two deep LOGO sign is 18.5 feet wide by 12 feet high.  This is one of the reasons MassDOT has begun standardizing on a two across by three deep format for most panels, to facilitate easier installation and less clearing and thinning.

Most ADOT installations are in a vertical layout as well.  ADOT did install some panels in a horizontal layout when they first began the urban logo sign program (with some installs on I-10, I-17, and Loop 101), but has since reverted to the vertical layout for most new installs, with all installations on Loop 202, Loop 303, and the US 60 Superstition Freeway being vertical.  All logo signs with three service types are also vertical in Arizona.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.