Disaster Tourism; Santa Cruz Mountains Highways, San Fransico, Bay Area Stuff

Started by Max Rockatansky, February 24, 2017, 10:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

The title of the thread is a play on the snarky remarks some Bay Area locals made to a newspaper in regards to Skyline Blvd/CA 35 caving in during the recent rain storms.  Apparently some....local folk believe that the "disaster tourists" are putting too much strain on the roadways.  :rolleyes:

That being the case I had actual business up in San Francisco today, so why not a couple scenic roads and stuff I haven't taken before?  This will be a couple days before I wrap this up and start doing my standard map links, alignment breakdowns, and LRN number stuff.  That being the case I started out by jumping off of US 101 west on CA 129:

IMG_3931 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Surprisingly even 129 got shut down a couple times this past month.  Really there was only one single lane work zone that didn't appear to have anything to do with slides but rather a repaving operation:

IMG_3933 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Apparently the slides were along this rock face, some actually were still slightly onto the roadway.  Optimus Prime up front had traffic going 35 MPH for a couple miles before he turned on a side road:

IMG_3934 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Managed to snag a G2 shield in downtown Watsonville:

IMG_3937 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Followed by a nice 129...with directional banner which seems to be common in the coastal areas:

IMG_3938 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Turned north on the 1 freeway towards Santa Cruz:

IMG_3939 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Granted I was in rush hour but traffic seems to always bog down whenever I pass through on 1 for whatever reason.  I chalk it up to ramps with little to no merge lanes:

IMG_3941 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Wasn't too long before I hit 17.  I had to use something to get up to 9 since it is closed between Santa Cruz and Felton because of slides:

IMG_3941 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Peeled off on Mount Hermon Road where I missed the 17 BL shield:

IMG_3948 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Took Mount Hermon from Camp Evans to Graham Hill Road in Felton:

IMG_3949 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Part 2 for the Santa Cruz Mountains.  Hooked up with CA 9 north of the slide in Felton:

IMG_3950 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

There was lots of warnings about flagmen but I ran into one that was manned:

IMG_3951 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Lots of older style bridge designs between Felton and Boulder Creek:

IMG_3953 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

This was the big slide work area.  I must have hit it at the perfect time because the southbound lane was backed up for a mile or two:

IMG_3957 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

For some reason there isn't any reassurance shields for CA 236 off of CA 9 in Boulder Creek.  All you get is the Route 236 sign in downtown:

IMG_3961 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_3963 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

236 was in pretty good shape south of Big Basin State Park but there was nary a shield to be had:

IMG_3965 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_3966 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

There was some minor slide issues on 236 this past week but it appeared to be mostly trees and not rockfall.  Looks like there was some luck with this rock face not sliding:

IMG_3970 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Part 3...  The first reassurance shield for 236 is actually within Big Basin State Park:

IMG_3976 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

North of the park headquarters the mostly single lane portion of 236 begins tracking back to 9.  The first segment zips through the Redwoods before briefly regaining the center stripe:

IMG_3983 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4006 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4008 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4010 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The tree debris was heavy the 6 miles north back up to 9 where the center stripe resumes before the north terminus of CA 236.  My CA 236 END photo is all blurred up but the signage is surprisingly good.  I half expected a large branch to come down, things were much easier passing through here last year:

IMG_4013 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4015 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4028 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4032 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4036 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Part 4.   There is a pretty decent overlook northeast on 9 towards CA 35:

IMG_4040 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

There was a ton of closure signage for both 9 and 35 south at the 9/35 junction.  Something was really apparent by this point...there was almost NOBODY on the road.  I have never once encountered 9, 236, or 35 so quiet in regards to traffic.  I guess having so much access cut off doesn't help very much:

IMG_4043 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Hit some of the overlooks on CA 35/Skyline Blvd, nice day out to see pretty far out after all the rain:

IMG_4048 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4058 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4066 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4070 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Ran into a flagging operation south of 84...really nothing else surprisingly on 35.  Apparently 84 was shut down except for local traffic east of 35:

IMG_4073 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4074 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

North of 84 you can get a glimpse of downtown San Francisco before hitting the convergence for CA 92:

IMG_4078 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Took 35/92 east towards I-280....note the blue "end" placard that insinuates that it is just the "scenic" portion of 35 that is ending and not 35.  Guess that didn't work out so well for 152:

IMG_4080 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4081 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I stayed on 35 until the multiplex with I-280.  I'm not sure what was up with the detour route for 35, it wasn't in effect when I drove through:

IMG_4085 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4086 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4087 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4088 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I couldn't clinch 35 on this trip but I figured that it would be a lot more worthwhile to follow rather than a boring Interstate:

IMG_4090 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

35 is surprisingly a really good way to take to get to the city limits of San Francisco.  There is barely any traffic...or at I've never encountered much.  I cut off of 35 past the the brief freeway onto Great Highway:

IMG_4095 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4096 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

One advantage opening a Flickr account has given me is that it is WAY easier to upload these photos.  Side perk is that I can actually share the entire album here as well and link it over.  Basically everything from today in the Santa Cruz Mountains is here on this album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151828809@N08/albums/72157679114487670

Max Rockatansky

Basically took Great Highway into the city itself and did pretty much all the stuff you'd expect someone to do in San Francisco:

Great Highway

1 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Cliff House

2 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Overlooks of the Golden Gate Bridge from the Legion of Honor and Baker Beach:

3 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

5 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The old coastal batteries south of the Golden Gate Bridge:

6 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Fort Point:

7 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Pano from the center span of the Golden Gate Bridge:

8 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Lombard Street...more to come on this with shields:

9 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

11 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Alcatraz Island:

13 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Downtown from Municipal Pier:

14 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

And the 101 shields first on Lombard Street:

IMG_4228 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

And on Van Ness:

IMG_4297 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4298 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4299 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The full album can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151828809@N08/albums/72157677268263343/with/32254370994/

Anyways tomorrow I'm set to hit; Panoramic Highway, CA 1, CA 121, CA 12, CA 29, CA 27, and CA 128 among many more...things.  Once I get home I'll try to hunt down some interesting alignment histories and maps.  I know 17 has had some pretty extensive changes with the expressway that will be fun to look at.

compdude787

You sure can tell a flood happened. All the water in the SF bay looks muddy brown.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: compdude787 on February 25, 2017, 02:02:53 AM
You sure can tell a flood happened. All the water in the SF bay looks muddy brown.

Yeah I've never seen it like that, stands to reason with everything that has happened.  The color looks slimy and grimed up.

nexus73

Thank you for showing some of the places I visited in 2013 and seeing more that did not make it on that trip's itinerary Max!  Sunny day, great views and beautiful pix indeed!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

AsphaltPlanet

The variation in landscapes in California is always amazing.  Thanks for the pics.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

kkt

The 101 shield on Van Ness crossing Filbert illustrates CalTrans bad habit of signing a route without the direction of travel...

Thanks for posting.

Max Rockatansky

Since I'm waiting on my pics to load from today I'll go ahead and respond to the replies...got a better net connection and a ton of stuff from today:

Quote from: nexus73 on February 25, 2017, 10:48:33 AM
Thank you for showing some of the places I visited in 2013 and seeing more that did not make it on that trip's itinerary Max!  Sunny day, great views and beautiful pix indeed!

Rick

Thanks, I actually got in much sooner than I expected and had a lot more free time.  For whatever reason there wasn't much in the way of tourist traffic this week...maybe it was due to the storms and people canceling plans?  Either way it was definitely different to have a chilled out vibe like that in the Santa Cruz Mountains and San Francisco.

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 25, 2017, 10:52:14 AM
The variation in landscapes in California is always amazing.  Thanks for the pics.

Indeed it is, today was a prime example of that.  Coastal water filled roads, forest, valleys, lakes, and canyons were all on the menu today in less than a 200 mile radius.  Definitely don't get that variation really anywhere else in the country.

Quote from: kkt on February 25, 2017, 12:19:22 PM
The 101 shield on Van Ness crossing Filbert illustrates CalTrans bad habit of signing a route without the direction of travel...

Thanks for posting.

District 4 definitely has some weird standards that seem to be somewhat unique.  I encountered a lot of urban signage even today including some of those overhead shields you see in San Francisco.  The directional placards seem to be missing on urban surface routes for whatever reason.

Max Rockatansky

Day 2....quiet morning getting out of San Francisco on the Golden Gate bridge northbound on US 101:

IMG_4322 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Surprisingly the sun rising didn't mess up the photo, I guess it was low enough not to make things washy looking.  I've been going back through all my old panoramics and fixing the sun bleached look as I've been uploading them to Flickr:

1 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Not that I have an issue with Robin Williams but really I don't think a comedian is a fitting name sake on the Waldo Tunnel...just my opinion:

IMG_4352 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Despite not officially existing together both CA 1 and US 101 are co-signed north of the Golden Gate Bridge.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Golden Gate Bridge basically a void where technically neither highway exits?  Regardless made my way onto 1 since I was heading northwest to Point Reyes:

IMG_4354 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Getting there though was going to require a side trip since 1 was shut down from both ends of the Panoramic Highway.  Basically this was planned for since I wanted to check out the Muir Woods and the Panoramic Highway instead:

IMG_4360 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Turned off Panoramic on to Muir Woods Road.  I haven't been up here since the early 1990s...funny thing is that I do remember Muir Woods Road from how sheer it was climbing back up, the drop offs are huge:

IMG_4363 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4365 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The view from the bottom, I didn't stick around long since traffic was starting to pick up.  I figure it was best to get back on the road headed for Point Reyes:

IMG_4366 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

A pano from the top of Muir Woods Road with some of the drainage grade in view:

IMG_4370 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Took a western turn on Panoramic Highway towards the closure on CA 1:

IMG_4377 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Really there isn't much in the way of panoramic views on Panoramic Highway until the big one on the coast line...which makes the road pretty much worth just to get pictures from this shoulder:

IMG_4392 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

A look at the closure on CA 1 at the western junction of Panoramic Highway:

IMG_4396 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4398 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Anyways the full album for Panoramic Highway and Muir Woods Road is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151828809@N08/albums/72157680769549945/with/33074595146/

A view of CA 1 northbound through Stinson Beach:

IMG_4399 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 1 through the Bolinas Lagoon was heavily flooded.  There was several sections with 2-3 inches on the roadway crossing into the lagoon.  The guy in front of me hit one of the flood areas at a good 40-45 MPH and steamed up things pretty good from the water hitting his muffler.  Nothing too bad...definitely not something you'd want to barrel through like an idiot though:

IMG_4400 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

North of the Bolinas Lagoon CA 1 swings pretty far inland which basically bypasses Point Reyes.  The eastern segment of Sir Francis Drake Blvd comes in from the right:

IMG_4406 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Took a left turn to on Bear Valley Road to get to the western segment of Sir Francis Drake Blvd.  There was some guy in front of me in a black Mini-Cooper S with no plate.  He didn't realize that Sir Francis Drake Blvd doesn't have a stop sign and barely missed a sedan.  The guy was going 10 MPH under the limit...I'm convinced he was liquored up so I pulled a pass just to get rid of his presence:

IMG_4409 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Passed through Inverness Park and Inverness west towards the National Park land boundary for Point Reyes National Seashore:

IMG_4410 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4411 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

There was a huge 3-4 inch flood on Sir Francis Drake Blvd shortly with in the National Park boundary.  I got a picture of it going back out but the water had receded a little by then.  The flood was close to where the road meets Drakes Estero:

IMG_4412 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Sir Francis Drake Blvd has some fantastic views...they turned out pretty good in the Black and White conversions:

IMG_4415 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4419 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4421 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

On weekends sometimes starting a 9 AM Sir Francis Drake Blvd gets shut down from the turnoff for Drakes Beach Road.  Luckily I got in at about 8:50 AM so I didn't have to bother with a park shuttle which would have chewed up about an extra hour of time.  There was a pretty nasty little sand drift making the final climb to the Point Reyes lighthouse:

IMG_4425 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Can't beat the views from high up on the cliffs:

2 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

4 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

More pictures of Sir Francis Drake Blvd heading back northeast through the ranch lands:

IMG_4477 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4479 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4482 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4483 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Speaking of that flood near Drakes Estero....  The crappy thing is that I could creep back through going back east because I needed enough speed to clear the mud.  Didn't help that I had a park cop behind me, I think that someone called in the flood because he stayed behind:

IMG_4485 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4486 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4487 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The full album for Point Reyes can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151828809@N08/albums/72157680671837196/with/32990075991/

Eventually I made my way back to CA 1 at the end of the western segment of Sir Francis Drake Blvd:

IMG_4488 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4489 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Took CA 1 through Point Reyes Station:

IMG_4490 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4492 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Full album for CA 1 from Stinson Beach to Point Reyes Station can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151828809@N08/albums/72157680670781536/with/32300906633/

Took an eastern turn on Point Reyes-Petaluma Road to get going back east.  Ran into this guy in the Euro Wagon who was going 10 under and hogging up the bridge view over Nicasio Creek:

IMG_4497 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The Euro Wagon was getting on my nerves so I stopped at the Nicasio Reservoir....full but nothing over the spillway:

IMG_4498 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4499 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Took a turn on Novato Road:

IMG_4501 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4503 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Turned west on San Marin Drive in Novato and followed it US 101.  Managed to snag a picture of the US 101 Business "END" sign crossing the freeway onto Atherton Avenue:

IMG_4504 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4506 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Took Atherton Avenue south to Harbor Drive and got onto the CA 37 expressway:

IMG_4509 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Given my destination was Lake Berryessa and the Monticello Dam I took a northern turn on CA 121 towards Napa:

IMG_4513 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I would imagine the whole "wine country" thing has a lot to do with all the Safety Zone stuff on 121.  Lots of urbanites out and about today in their mid-life crisis V6 muscle cars.  I've never really gotten the appeal of the area honestly:

IMG_4516 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The good thing about 121 is there is a crap load of multiplexes and junctions.  The junction signage is pretty good starting with CA 116:

IMG_4517 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Followed by a multiplex of CA 12....for some reason the fade in the shields makes them look blue:

IMG_4520 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Then a multiplex of 29 into Napa:

IMG_4523 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4525 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Despite all the multiplexes I stuck to 121:

IMG_4528 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

There is even a junction with CA 221 in Napa:

IMG_4530 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

As I was saying earlier for some reason District 4 loves high mounted shields in urban areas as demonstrated by the 121 in this photo...maybe they deter sign theft?

IMG_4531 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

East of Napa CA 121 starts to rise quickly into the Vaca Mountains.  The summit isn't very high at about only 1,200 feet.  There isn't much in the way of scenery by the road is a lot of fun before terminating at CA 128:

IMG_4533 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4534 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4536 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The full album for all the highway stuff between Point Reyes Station and the end of CA 121 is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151828809@N08/albums/72157679146158200/with/32272191664/

Took a western turn on CA 128 towards Berryessa-Knoxville Road.  Both had a lot of evidence of recent land slides all over the rock faces and road cuts:

IMG_4537 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Lake Berryessa was basically flooding and a lot of the shore line parks were underwater:

3 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

That being the case that means that the Monticello Dam is worth a trip to go see, so back east on 128 it was:

IMG_4567 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The reason being is that the Monticello Dam uses an old fashion glory hole type spillway that is draining the water out of Lake Berryessa.  Basically it looks like a giant black hole in the middle of the lake.  The parking lot at the dam overlook was absolutely packed with people...guess they are into "disaster tourism" also?

4 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Kind of interesting how an older style spillway design has held up whereas something like Oroville basically has become almost a total wreck.  Continued east on 128 before swinging south on Pleasant Valley Road:

IMG_4581 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Came across this little nugget of a one-lane bridge on Pleasant Valley Road...should be interesting looking up the story on this one:

IMG_4582 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Used Cherry Glen Road to reach I-80 which I took to visit some friends for dinner in Vacaville:

IMG_4585 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4586 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Interestingly I did encounter US 40 Historic signage all over the place on Texas Street in Fairfield:

IMG_4588 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The full album for Berryessa-Snow Mountain and all the associated stuff can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151828809@N08/albums/72157677307092253/with/32735231640/

Tomorrow should be more mundane...I say SHOULD.  I have a couple things planned heading east to I-5 with CA 220 but I filled up at a Sinclair station against my better judgement.  I can't tell if it was the lane bumps on I-80....but I could be having engine knock again, no "check engine" light yet.  We'll see how it goes tomorrow on the way back home.

kkt

You're right, the Golden Gate Bridge is not part of US 101 or CA 1 as far as legislative route definition or ownership or maintenance.  It's owned and operated by the Golden Gate Bridge District.

Rothman

Must be a California quirk.  Doesn't matter who maintains the route in a lot of states as long as it is signed, it is typically considered part of the route (with a few notable exceptions, of course).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

See the thing about the signage as a maintenance indicator is that it largely depends on where you are.  Caltrans usually writes something into the relinquishment legislative jargon that sections of road that are turned over need to signed for continuity purposes.  Some are pretty good like here in Bakersfield with CA 178 while others suck like San Jose with CA 130.  I could be wrong about this but to play on what kkt said, I don't believe there has been any signage on the Golden Gate Bridge...none that I know of anyways.  I would imagine that is just a style thing, they don't seem to be big on signage on the bridge itself.  Incidentally CA 1 is signed very well on US 101 north of the Golden Gate Bridge...even though that isn't in the legislative definition of the route.

kkt

Of course the GGB was never a state highway, so there was no relinquisment agreement for signage of the former state routes.  Personally, I'd rather see it signed as a guide to navigation, regardless of ownership, but there are former state routes that would be a higher priority.

Max Rockatansky

I'm sitting at home watching the Daytona 500 and just got my pictures uploaded.  Today turned out to be a surprise in a good way, lots of new routes for me that had way more value than I thought they would.  Also apparently the Sonic wasn't knocking yesterday and it was really just the lane bumps on I-80...go figure, I guess they really don't want people drifting out of their lane.

Started the day out on CA 12 eastbound and got a decent picture by accident of Mount Diablo to the south over Grizzley Island/Bay:

IMG_4593 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Out of Fairfield east 12 is an expressway for a couple miles before dropping to two lanes.  It would seem 12 has become a "Safety Corridor" given that there are Jersey Barriers and posts in the center lane on the entire route.  The emphasis seems to be pretty damn big on the whole Safety Corridor bit...there was even a CHP Officer out and about on a Sunday morning!  Snagged some decent CA 113 signs at the junction with 12, including the END sign:

IMG_4598 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4599 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4600 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

84 was shut down at the Real McCoy Ferry just a few miles north of Rio Vista:

IMG_4602 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Managed a couple decent photos of the Rio Vista Bridge which is a draw span and carries 12 over the Sacramento River to Andrus Island:

IMG_4603 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Turned north on CA 160 which largely followed the Sacramento River north to I-5.  This was actually a pretty challenging road given the height of the roadway on an earthen birm.  Really the road is very narrow with virtually no shoulder, the only real indicator it is a state highway is the quality of the pavement.  It actually reminded of some of the roads near Lake Okeechobee in Florida; namely US 98/441:

IMG_4609 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

160 passes through Isleton on River Road:

IMG_4610 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I doubled back on H and Main Street to check out the historic district.  I would speculate that 160 originally ran on this alignment but I'll look it up later:

IMG_4614 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_4618 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.