AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ODOT looks into tolls for Portland-area freeways  (Read 1485 times)

kkt

• Last Login: Today at 08:02:06 PM
Re: ODOT looks into tolls for Portland-area freeways
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 04:03:18 PM »

But we don't really want to be pushing through traffic to take I-5, which is also congested and with some undesirably below-standard exits and entrances as well.

jakeroot

• Last Login: Today at 06:51:16 PM
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 04:25:23 PM »

Portland could benefit from some toll lanes on area freeways, like those seen in Seattle.

Because that went well.

Toll lanes go well if you improve GP conditions as well. Either upgrading interchanges or building aux lanes, etc. The 405 didn't do enough to accomodate the GP driver so the PR didn't go well.

compdude787

• Last Login: March 23, 2017, 11:59:56 PM
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2017, 08:05:48 PM »

Portland could benefit from some toll lanes on area freeways, like those seen in Seattle.

Because that went well.

Toll lanes go well if you improve GP conditions as well. Either upgrading interchanges or building aux lanes, etc. The 405 didn't do enough to accomodate the GP driver so the PR didn't go well.

Agreed. It was a bad idea to convert I-405's HOV lane to an express toll lane north of SR 522 without adding additional capacity to the freeway.

Brandon

• Mr. Accelerator is our friend; Mr. Brake is not.

• Last Login: Today at 07:34:07 PM
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2017, 05:18:17 PM »

Freeways become a luxury only when space becomes a luxury as well. If the 5 and 205 are suffering from severe congestion throughout the day, they could be tolled to combat congestion (i.e. a congestion charge of sorts). The 5 should be tolled, but I don't think the 205 should be. Congestion tolls work better when drivers have an alternative, and if the alternative is also tolled, they're just gonna keep using the primary road.

I'd love for drivers particularly truckers to think twice before taking 205. I live a couple blocks away and cringe when I think about how much in the way of fine particulates my neighbors & I are inhaling every day.

Why shouldn't truckers be taking I-205.  It's the bypass, is it not?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

And yet, the world did not end.

compdude787

• Last Login: March 23, 2017, 11:59:56 PM
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2017, 05:25:33 PM »

Freeways become a luxury only when space becomes a luxury as well. If the 5 and 205 are suffering from severe congestion throughout the day, they could be tolled to combat congestion (i.e. a congestion charge of sorts). The 5 should be tolled, but I don't think the 205 should be. Congestion tolls work better when drivers have an alternative, and if the alternative is also tolled, they're just gonna keep using the primary road.

I'd love for drivers particularly truckers to think twice before taking 205. I live a couple blocks away and cringe when I think about how much in the way of fine particulates my neighbors & I are inhaling every day.

Why shouldn't truckers be taking I-205.  It's the bypass, is it not?

Because he's a NIMBY, that's why. :P

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.