News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Types of milemarkers by state?

Started by ColossalBlocks, February 28, 2017, 12:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrCorySticha

Montana uses the standard, white on green markers without tenths.

Interstates are pretty standard, counting from state line or start of highway.

The mile markers on state and US highways are for the segment of road, and aren't necessarily tied to the particular highway. A multiplex can reset the mileage, and the through route can be more important than the particular highway designation.

So, for example, mile marker 156 on US 191 outside of the town of Malta, MT is actually showing 156 miles to the northern/eastern end of the multiplex of US 12 and US 87 in Roundup, MT. The segment of road isn't US 191 to Lewistown, MT, but US 191 to MT 19 to US 87 to Roundup.

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on March 01, 2017, 06:42:44 PM
Quote from: cu2010 on March 01, 2017, 06:20:07 PM
Quote from: vdeane on March 01, 2017, 01:08:58 PM
I-84 still has Thruway-style markers (or did last time I checked).

Dutchess and Putnam Counties now have the standard MUTCD enhanced location markers, and standard NYSDOT reference markers.

Much needed, too, since many of the old Thruway ones had become faded beyond the point of readable.

Val is incorrect, cu2010 is partially correct. I-84 has Region 8's standard marker pattern and has for over a year. Full miles are enhanced, tenth miles are Region 8's mini MMs. Reference markers are present. Other than a couple Clearview signs, there is little evidence of NYSTA maintenance.
Interesting.  I haven't been on any NY portion of I-84 since last April, and not east of I-87 since the Merritt Parkway meet over two years ago.  Many of those Thruway milemarkers were so faded that the only thing that wasn't white was the greenout over the Thruway logo.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on March 01, 2017, 01:20:24 PM
WV has vertical signs, generally every .1 mile in the format of Direction/Shield/whole number/horizontal line/. fraction.   Interstates are green with white with the interstate shield in correct colors.  Appalachian Corridors are blue with white and replace the shield with a state outline with the Corridor's letter in the center.  The other 4 lanes in the state also use blue, but have the US or state shield in proper B&W, rather than the state outline. 

All follow the standard interstate practice of 0 being the south or west most point, and all only number the improved part.  For example US 19 travels the length of the state, but 0 is the JCT with the turnpike in Beckley and 69 is the JCT with I-79. 

WV DOH administers 4 lanes via a seperate staff and chain of command, so having a dedicated milepost system is a must.

And on two-lane state and US routes, West Virginia inconsistently posts mile markers with single-digit panels, black text on white background, with numbers that reset at county lines.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

machias

Quote from: vdeane on March 01, 2017, 07:10:20 PM

Dutchess and Putnam Counties now have the standard MUTCD enhanced location markers, and standard NYSDOT reference markers.

Much needed, too, since many of the old Thruway ones had become faded beyond the point of readable.

Val is incorrect, cu2010 is partially correct. I-84 has Region 8's standard marker pattern and has for over a year. Full miles are enhanced, tenth miles are Region 8's mini MMs. Reference markers are present. Other than a couple Clearview signs, there is little evidence of NYSTA maintenance.
Interesting.  I haven't been on any NY portion of I-84 since last April, and not east of I-87 since the Merritt Parkway meet over two years ago.  Many of those Thruway milemarkers were so faded that the only thing that wasn't white was the greenout over the Thruway logo.

The kicker about the reference markers on I-84 is that a sizable number of them have "I84" at the top instead of "84I".

cl94

Quote from: upstatenyroads on March 02, 2017, 12:52:39 PM
Quote from: vdeane on March 01, 2017, 07:10:20 PM

The kicker about the reference markers on I-84 is that a sizable number of them have "I84" at the top instead of "84I".

Of course, that's far from the only place I've seen the "I" in front. I-290 has a disturbing amount, as well as a few missing an I.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SD Mapman

Quote from: Darkchylde on February 28, 2017, 07:44:40 PM
US 71 in Kansas City has something similar to the Kansas version of the enhanced marker along the median/center divider for portions of its freeway sections.
I think MO might do that for US highway freeways; those are on US 169 north of KCMO as well.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota has tenth mile markers on short stretches of I-35W from MN 62 to New Brighton Blvd, I-94 from Minneapolis to St. Paul, and on the "hidden" MN 65 freeway into downtown Minneapolis. I don't have a picture handy but they're patterned in route direction/route shield/base mile/tenth mile format like this:

EAST
-----
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 03, 2017, 03:32:33 PM
Minnesota has tenth mile markers on short stretches of I-35W from MN 62 to New Brighton Blvd, I-94 from Minneapolis to St. Paul, and on the "hidden" MN 65 freeway into downtown Minneapolis. I don't have a picture handy but they're patterned in route direction/route shield/base mile/tenth mile format like this:

EAST
-----

I don't have a picture handy either, but I can cite MnDOT's Standard Signs Manual (pdf, pg 596) for reference:

Edit to also add that I thought they were posted on more freeways than that. Hmm...

tdindy88

It hasn't been mentioned yet so I'll do Indiana.

All interstates have the normal green one-mile milemarkers. That said, I-64, I-65 in Southern Indiana, I-69 in Southern Indiana and I-70 west of Indianapolis have all added half-mile markers as well. I think the new US 31 freeways around Kokomo and South Bend feature these as well, though they may not.

Non-freeway U.S. and state highways to have small white on blue signs with the milemarker on them. Generally they are seen at bridges and overpasses for identification purposes but I know some of these signs are stand-alone. To my knowledge not every road has them at each mile.

Finally, the white on blue MUTCD milemarkers with the cardinal direction and highway shield are found along all freeways around Greater Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Northwest Indiana, the Falls City area and Evansville. They are either positioned at ever .1 mile or .2 mile.

roadfro

Nevada:

All highways:

*Standard milepost: Same as California's black-on-white "Postmile" system (NDOT calls them "mileposts" though). Identical, except Nevada uses a two-letter county code, and there are no letter prefixes for realignments (NDOT has been updating field mileposts quite a bit the last few years). Mileage resets at county lines. Milepost paddles are typically posted at integer mileages and at leading edge of bridge structures. On urban state routes that are major arterial roadways, NDOT has been applying updated mileposts in the form of adhesive stickers at major signalized locations.

*Enhanced milepost: With new reconstruction of highways in rural areas, an enhanced version is used that somewhat simulates the MUTCD Enhanced Reference Location post. It is a larger white-on-black panel, and includes the highway shield, county code, and integer mile. The enhanced version are posted higher off the ground and back-to-back along one side of the highway only (the northbound or eastbound side, corresponding with the direction of increasing mileage). However, standard mileposts are still used at structures and county lines.

Interstates:

*Standard MUTCD reference panels are used on I-15 and I-80 (although many are missing). These conform to statewide mileage, and are used in addition to the county-specific mileposts.

*MUTCD-standard Enhanced Reference Location panels are now being installed instead of standard MUTCD reference panels, whenever there is a reconstruction/rehabilitation/signage project along a section of Interstate. Currently used on a section of I-580, and possibly other locations. (Clark County has also installed them on the Las Vegas Beltway I-215/CC-215.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 01, 2017, 08:14:55 AM
NJDOT is now installing large, enhanced milemarkers, doublesided, every 2/10th of a mile on most highways, and large enhanced milemarkers every half mile on local roads.

Formerly, they used smaller enhanced milemarkers every 1/10th of a mile in heavier traffic areas, and standard, number only signs in less busy areas. 

Dan's picture here shows the progression of enhanced milemarkers in this state (all but the most current version, with the large first letter, remains here now). https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=8539.msg2166003#msg2166003

The NJ Turnpike uses standard milemarkers up and down the road every 1/10th of a mile, although I think they are converting their whole mile milemarkers to the enhanced version.
The Atlantic City Expressway also uses small 1/10th mile markers and small, but larger than 1/10th (I think double-sided) markers every mile with the ACE shield where the words "Atlantic City Expressway" on the shield too small to read at highway speeds. There are also a few random mach larger 1/10th markers, though without the shield near the Parkway interchange.

Bickendan

ODOT uses the standard white on green for the Oregon interstates and routes, and enhanced on OR 217. Mileage follows the internal highway, not signed route, except on I-84 (Old Oregon Trail synchonized to Columbia River Highway, which itself has a two mile discrepency between the Banfield portion and the portion east of I-205, from the unconstructed Mt Hood Freeway), and US 26 (Warm Springs Highway is synchronized to the Mt Hood Highway).

keithvh

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 03, 2017, 10:07:15 PM
It hasn't been mentioned yet so I'll do Indiana.

All interstates have the normal green one-mile milemarkers. That said, I-64, I-65 in Southern Indiana, I-69 in Southern Indiana and I-70 west of Indianapolis have all added half-mile markers as well. I think the new US 31 freeways around Kokomo and South Bend feature these as well, though they may not.

I-74 also has the half-mile markers, but only in the southeast portion of the state.  I don't know exactly where they end, but they go from the Ohio border, and end at a point somewhere between Greensburg and Shelbyville.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.