News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Where do businesses get their old stop signs from?

Started by bandit957, March 03, 2017, 11:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Sometimes you see a business that has an old stop sign posted, maybe in their parking lot, or guarding something behind a fence. These are standard stop signs, but they are clearly older. I know there's some embossed ones still floating around, or maybe some with the skinny font Ohio used to use on its stop signs.

Where do these businesses get these old stop signs? Did they tear them down from public roads years ago?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Brandon

Quote from: bandit957 on March 03, 2017, 11:17:53 AM
Sometimes you see a business that has an old stop sign posted, maybe in their parking lot, or guarding something behind a fence. These are standard stop signs, but they are clearly older. I know there's some embossed ones still floating around, or maybe some with the skinny font Ohio used to use on its stop signs.

Where do these businesses get these old stop signs? Did they tear them down from public roads years ago?

Sometimes they buy surplus, sometimes they just order them and leave them up for a while.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Max Rockatansky

Scrapers?...at least that's how a lot of online antique people come across them.  Edit:  To clarify; it seems that a lot of scrap guys either have physical stores or an eBay shop for the stuff they pull down.

Brian556

I doubt most businesses would buy an antique for actual use.

lordsutch

It wouldn't surprise me if many sign companies buy up common surplus signs and stock them as cheaper alternatives to fabbing or selling through brand new signs for customers. If it's posted on private property, particularly as a replacement or for a small business, nobody is likely to be concerned about an old sign no longer meeting current reflectivity or design standards.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.