News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Vintage Indiana Toll Road Video on YouTube

Started by RoadWarrior56, March 03, 2017, 07:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadWarrior56

I stumbled onto an old 14 minute Ford Motor Company educational video about driving on "Superhighways" this evening.  Apparently the entire video was filmed on the Indiana Toll Road probably around 1958, presumably before I-80 or I-90 shields were erected.  All of the cars were various Ford Motor Co. vehicles including at least a couple of Edsel's.  The traffic mix was "tail fin city".  Lots of good video on old-style turnpike signs, old toll booths, old gas stations, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-6UWwsynyw

thenetwork

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on March 03, 2017, 07:44:39 PM
I stumbled onto an old 14 minute Ford Motor Company educational video about driving on "Superhighways" this evening.  Apparently the entire video was filmed on the Indiana Toll Road probably around 1958, presumably before I-80 or I-90 shields were erected.  All of the cars were various Ford Motor Co. vehicles including at least a couple of Edsel's.  The traffic mix was "tail fin city".  Lots of good video on old-style turnpike signs, old toll booths, old gas stations, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-6UWwsynyw

Looking at the 4:15 mark, the driver pulls up to the Blue Heron service plaza.  Was there a Blue Huron Service Plaza on the ITR?  If not, then that was the Blue Huron Service Plaza on the Ohio Turnpike just east of I-280/SR-420.

It also looks like a few scenes were shot on Michigan freeways -- that state used the alternating black/white dotted lines.  The ITR used the longer, wider "New Jersey Turnpike-style" white dotted lines.

Brandon

Quote from: thenetwork on March 03, 2017, 10:00:04 PM
Looking at the 4:15 mark, the driver pulls up to the Blue Heron service plaza.  Was there a Blue Huron Service Plaza on the ITR?  If not, then that was the Blue Huron Service Plaza on the Ohio Turnpike just east of I-280/SR-420.

It also looks like a few scenes were shot on Michigan freeways -- that state used the alternating black/white dotted lines.  The ITR used the longer, wider "New Jersey Turnpike-style" white dotted lines.

That's the Blue Heron (not Huron) Service Plaza on the Ohio Turnpike at MP 77, westbound.  The Indiana Toll Road ones were named after various Hoosiers.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

JREwing78

It's insane how empty the highways are back then compared to today. There's a similar amount of traffic on WIS-26 between Janesville and Johnson Creek, and people consider that highway overbuilt.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.