News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-880 has TWO "1-D" exits southbound

Started by michravera, April 06, 2017, 01:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michravera

I assume that there has been a missigning but BOTH the CASR-82 "The Alameda" exit and the Bascom Avenue exts are signed as "Exit 1-D" on southbound I-880. In fact, the advance sign for Bascom and the "this exit" sign for CASR-82 hang from the same post. Somebody get a picture before they fix it. It is quite impressive!

Occidental Tourist

This happens all the time in California.  CalNEXUS was not very well implemented due to screwed-up postmile references.

Down here in SoCal, state route 47 has exit numbering all over the place as a result.  Harbor Blvd. is exit 1A going northbound on SR-47, then Ferry Street, which is over a mile away from Harbor Blvd. is exit 1B.  And New Dock Street, which is a 1.5 miles from Ferry Street, jumps to exit 4.

And going southbound, exit 1B isn't Ferry Street, but is instead the 110 interchange.  And exit 1A southbound isn't Harbor Blvd. like it is northbound.  Instead Gaffey Street is exit 1A.

Kind of defeats the whole purpose of exit numbering if they aren't actually tied to mileage or consistent . . . "If you're heading south, get off at exit 1C, but if you're heading north, get off at exit 1A."

michravera

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on April 06, 2017, 03:41:28 PM
This happens all the time in California.  CalNEXUS was not very well implemented due to screwed-up postmile references.

Down here in SoCal, state route 47 has exit numbering all over the place as a result.  Harbor Blvd. is exit 1A going northbound on SR-47, then Ferry Street, which is over a mile away from Harbor Blvd. is exit 1B.  And New Dock Street, which is a 1.5 miles from Ferry Street, jumps to exit 4.

And going southbound, exit 1B isn't Ferry Street, but is instead the 110 interchange.  And exit 1A southbound isn't Harbor Blvd. like it is northbound.  Instead Gaffey Street is exit 1A.

Kind of defeats the whole purpose of exit numbering if they aren't actually tied to mileage or consistent . . . "If you're heading south, get off at exit 1C, but if you're heading north, get off at exit 1A."

This one isn't as subtle as any of that. This is two exits with the same exit number in the same direction. I suspect that Bascom should be "1-C" and CASR-82 should be "1-D" and then Stevens Creek 1-B and I-280 NB should be exit 1-A and I-280 SB should be Exit 1. The lack of subtlety is exempified by the fact that both "1-D" exit aigns (both the gore sign for CASR-82 and the Advance sign for Bascom) hang from the same pole. It is amazing that the guys who hung it didn't notice!

kphoger

The guy who hung them wasn't responsible for the numbers.

That's like wondering how the guy who boxed up your book order at the publishing company's warehouse didn't notice the typo on the cover of the book.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

DTComposer

Not far from there, they did a straight replacement on this sign (this is the old sign):

Only problem is, they've reconfigured the exit, so now Oakland traffic should be in the rightmost lane. A correct sign is about 1/2 mile downstream, giving traffic very little time to make adjustments.

This whole re-signing project (throughout the state, but especially districts 4 and 7) has been rife with errors, in addition to inconsistencies (different font sizes on the same sign, deciding whether to capitalize the word "junction" or not, shield size and shapes, etc., etc.) and bad layout. If I had any free time I would go sign by sign down each freeway and do a better design.

michravera

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on April 06, 2017, 03:41:28 PM

I wish that there wasn't an aversion to "Exit 0" and that they had done the kilometer based exits and gone decimal for exit that were on the same click. By using alphabetics, they have to redo something, if a new exit is added in the middle.

I-280 should be exit 0. Stevens Creek should be about Exit 0.4, Bascom and CASR-82 might not even be on the same click and could be 1 and 2, respectfully.

myosh_tino

Quote from: michravera on April 06, 2017, 09:06:23 PM
This one isn't as subtle as any of that. This is two exits with the same exit number in the same direction. I suspect that Bascom should be "1-C" and CASR-82 should be "1-D" and then Stevens Creek 1-B and I-280 NB should be exit 1-A and I-280 SB should be Exit 1. The lack of subtlety is exempified by the fact that both "1-D" exit aigns (both the gore sign for CASR-82 and the Advance sign for Bascom) hang from the same pole. It is amazing that the guys who hung it didn't notice!

Actually, CA-82/The Alameda is supposed to be Exit 2.  Bascom Ave is Exit 1D, Stevens Creek Blvd/San Carlos St is Exit 1C, I-280 is Exit 1B and CA-17 (the through route) is Exit 1A.

Hopefully someone will point this out to Caltrans but we will see because the 1/4 mile advance guide sign for the First Street exit off of I-880 is still numbered as Exit 389 and it's been that way for a few years now.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

kurumi

Quote from: michravera on April 07, 2017, 02:25:43 PM
I wish that there wasn't an aversion to "Exit 0" and that they had done the kilometer based exits and gone decimal for exit that were on the same click. By using alphabetics, they have to redo something, if a new exit is added in the middle.

I-280 should be exit 0. Stevens Creek should be about Exit 0.4, Bascom and CASR-82 might not even be on the same click and could be 1 and 2, respectfully.

I saw a CT numbering plan a while ago where anything from MP 0.0 to 1.99 was exit 1. I-91 NB had mile-based numbers going up to exit 1F. I'd be fine skipping exit 0 if the numbering were consistent: up to MP 1.00 is exit 1; up to MP 2.00 is exit 2, etc.

Going km-based helps get rid of some but not all letter suffixes; but then the easy distance math between exits gets harder.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

myosh_tino

Per Caltrans' policy on exit numbering, the Exit 1 "zone" is from mile 0 to 1.5.  Exit 2 is from mile 1.5 to 2.5 and so on.  An exit is assigned a number based on where the centerlines of each road cross *not* where the exit ramp is located.
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

sparker

Caltrans District 4 has a longstanding history of being very lax and/or inconsistent regarding signage in general, particularly in regards to surface routes.  Unfortunately, that laxity is starting to manifest itself on freeway signage as well. 
Quote from: DTComposer on April 06, 2017, 11:15:07 PM

Only problem is, they've reconfigured the exit, so now Oakland traffic should be in the rightmost lane. A correct sign is about 1/2 mile downstream, giving traffic very little time to make adjustments.

I was on 280 not more than 2 hours ago heading to Campbell from east SJ, and the replacement for the illustrated sign, which is itself wrong, places one on the wrong lane (a through I-280 lane that ends right after the I-880/CA 17 exit) if that driver is intending to use south 17; and there's only about a third of a mile to change into the correct exit lane.   There is a correct overhead BGS, but it's right at the gore point, giving the westbound driver such scant notice that "shit, I'm in the wrong lane" is SOP for that stretch of freeway.

They may be understaffed, underfunded, and overworked but, really, D4 needs to get some semblance of their signage shit together.  I've called the district office repeatedly about some of the more egregious errors -- and invariably am told that they'll be "looking into it".   It's certainly not reassuring! 

Henry

Isn't this a violation of the exit numbering scheme? I think one should be labeled with either a C or an E to distinguish itself from the real D.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

myosh_tino

Quote from: Henry on April 11, 2017, 10:07:12 AM
Isn't this a violation of the exit numbering scheme? I think one should be labeled with either a C or an E to distinguish itself from the real D.

Like I said earlier, it's an error.  The Bascom Ave exit is 1D.  The CA-82/The Alameda exit is supposed to be Exit 2.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.