News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Have you not clinched the street you live on?

Started by jeffandnicole, May 07, 2017, 08:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

What started out as a joke response to another thread, I'll make an actual thread.

Who has not 'clinched' the street and/or route they live on.

Before you roll your eyes...while most of us live on small side roads, someone could live on, say, US 40, and probably have never clinched the route.

MNHighwayMan

Hmm, nope. I've only ever lived on relatively short city streets. Best part was that one was even a numbered highway: MN-293. :bigass:

Max Rockatansky

I never did get around to clinching FL 436 Semoran Blvd in Orlando area, but I'm pretty sure that was only one. 

1995hoo

Heh. My street is about 700 feet long, so I've clinched it in four different cars, on foot, on a bike, and on roller blades.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Big John

I currently live on a rather long street, so I have not clinched it.

sbeaver44

I have clinched the last several I have lived on, but there was a time I lived on US 11, and that would be a challenge.

Nexus 6P

jp the roadgeek

Clinched 4 out of 5 of the streets that I lived on: 2 roads in my town, 1 in another town, and a dead end street in my town.  Never clinched the street that I lived on in Philly, as it's spread out over 60+ blocks and exists in about 10 segments and if I were to stay within the grid would involve a swim in the Schuykill River.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

epzik8

I live on a cul-de-sac that's less than a quarter-mile long. I live at the end of the street and it's impossible for me not to travel the whole length of the street while leaving and returning to my house. So basically, I clinch my street every single time I go in and out of the neighborhood.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

catsynth

Yes, pretty much every street I have ever lived on :)
http://www.catsynth.com
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

Completed 2di: I-80, I-87 (NY), I-84 (E), I-86 (E), I-97, I-44

RobbieL2415

I have to, where I live.  My condo is at the end of the street.

pumpkineater2

I live on a cul de sac, and while I'm sure I can say that I've clinched it multiple times on foot and bike over the years, I haven't actually driven a car the full length of the pavement. So, no I haven't clinched my street.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

admtrap

Hmm.. philosophical question!   The street i grew up on had six or seven separate discontinuous segments through the city, all with the same name, and in the same place in the street grid relative to the parallel through streets, but were never actually intended to connect to one another.  To clinch such a street would one have to traverse all of the separate segments, or would each be considered separately?   

english si

My road is full of side turns and such like. I'd be surprised if half the people living on it have actually clinched it - ie gone down all the nooks and crannies. Despite it only being less than 500 hundred yards and 150 houses or so.

I've been to every door (having done deliveries as a child/teen: note that the UK doesn't do mailboxes at the end of driveways, nor has papers thrown onto porches from bikes - everything that's able to goes through slits in the door/next to the door, or maybe a box by the door) so I've throughly clinched it.

DandyDan

That depends on whether the one segment of the street I live on that's a mile north of here needs to be clinched. I have got the segment immediately adjacent to my apartment.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

1995hoo

Quote from: english si on May 08, 2017, 02:45:50 AM

... nor has papers thrown onto porches from bikes ....

Around here, someone drives around in a car early in the morning and throws the (bagged) paper out the car window, hopefully landing it in the driveway. I don't think I've ever seen an old-fashioned "paper boy" in the tradition of the Henry Huggins books.

Rothman

I lived on Hammond Avenue in Superior, WI for a couple of years.  Don't remember if I ever drove the entire street.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

7/8

I had a co-op term in St. Catharines, ON and I lived in an apartment on St. Paul Street, which is on former highway 8. I've clinched current highway 8, but I haven't driven most of the downloaded portion east of Hamilton.

jeffandnicole

As for me, I lived in very few houses in my life, and most were in development-type areas.  I guess the longest route I lived on would've been when I lived in the dorms at college, which would place me on Rt. 7 in Delaware.  I'm pretty sure I did clinch that route, but I would've only been on the southern end of 7 once, maybe twice.

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 08, 2017, 07:27:05 AM
Quote from: english si on May 08, 2017, 02:45:50 AM

... nor has papers thrown onto porches from bikes ....

Around here, someone drives around in a car early in the morning and throws the (bagged) paper out the car window, hopefully landing it in the driveway. I don't think I've ever seen an old-fashioned "paper boy" in the tradition of the Henry Huggins books.

Many, many, many, MANY years ago do I remember that.

I was a newspaper junkie growing up.  Even when I moved into my current house over 15 years ago, I got 2 papers delivered.  But I cut that back to one, and then none.  They were delivered by car, and the one carrier tended to deliver multiple papers.  At one point, when I got the local Times, the Philly Inquirer & had a work-based subscription to the Wall Street Journal, all 3 would be delivered by 1 carrier.  Today, I don't think a single person on our street gets any paper delivered.

1995hoo

We get the paper delivered Friday through Sunday only. Not enough time to read it in the morning the other days (or really Friday either, but they don't offer a Saturday/Sunday—only subscription).

bassoon1986

I have not! I live on US 165. I'm only missing the northernmost section in Louisiana to have it clinched in my home state. I have not driven on any part of 165 in Arkansas

iPhone

ColossalBlocks

I live on US 61, and I have not yet clinched it.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

bzakharin

I've only lived in two places since I started to drive, both small side streets, but the first place was at the corner with another street, and then it depends how you define it. I never even came close to clinching CR 510, but Washington Street, sure, many times.

hotdogPi

My road has three places out: the east end of the road (where 1 and 2 would be), the back entrance to a parking lot (where 25 would be), and another road where 153 would be. The highest-numbered house is 156, so there is a small segment that acts like a driveway for 156 Not-Giving-Away-My-Location Street. I have walked and biked this segment of about 100 feet, but never in a car.

Note: I have shifted the numbers so that my location is not given away from the numbers alone.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: admtrap on May 08, 2017, 02:26:08 AM
Hmm.. philosophical question!   The street i grew up on had six or seven separate discontinuous segments through the city, all with the same name, and in the same place in the street grid relative to the parallel through streets, but were never actually intended to connect to one another.  To clinch such a street would one have to traverse all of the separate segments, or would each be considered separately?   

This.  I've clinched my section of Christine Street.  But there's a separate, one-block-long section 1½ miles to the north that I've never been on.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.