News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-630/I-430 | Big Rock Interchange "Life Size" Scale Model

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, May 25, 2017, 12:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

So, I go to a charter school in Fort Smith and we have these internship opportunities out in the community and I am either trying to get into the AHTD or another civil engineering firm in the area. I am thinking ahead on what presentable I want and I thought of a life size scale model of an interchange I have seen since I've been in diapers. I am trying to figure out I scale to build in, because I want to have the section of the I-630 that meets Finanical Centre Parkway a enterable area and they would walk on part of the 630 to exit the presentation.

The exhibition's main focus would be centered around the cloverleaf-directional T stack interchange of the two Interstates.

Any thoughts?
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

NE2

Are you aware that "life size" means a one-to-one scale?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ColossalBlocks

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on May 25, 2017, 12:45:00 AM
So, I go to a charter school in Fort Smith and we have these internship opportunities out in the community and I am either trying to get into the AHTD or another civil engineering firm in the area. I am thinking ahead on what presentable I want and I thought of a life size scale model of an interchange I have seen since I've been in diapers. I am trying to figure out I scale to build in, because I want to have the section of the I-630 that meets Finanical Centre Parkway a enterable area and they would walk on part of the 630 to exit the presentation.

The exhibition's main focus would be centered around the cloverleaf-directional T stack interchange of the two Interstates.

Any thoughts?

Have fun hauling an entire fucking interchange around.  :pan:
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Rothman

Actually reminds me of the stress testing I saw at Turner Fairbanks.  Had an entire per-lane section of a curved bridge deck in one of their gigantic labs, ready to snap. 
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kurumi

Let's do some math. (It sounds really sarcastic, but really the motivation is math being fun.)

If people are walking under a to-scale I-430/630 overcrossing, you'd need about 8 feet clearance vs. maybe 15 feet in real life? Then your model is about 2:1 scale. If you can make them crawl (4 feet), then your model is 4:1. The interchange is about 0.5 mile across (rough estimate from Google maps), so 1/4 of that is 660 feet; about 2 football fields.

If the entire interchange won't be walkable, but the I-630 overcrossing of S. Shackleford Road is? The overpass is 4 lanes + shoulders inside and out... looks like about 80 feet wide. Shrink that down to 4 feet wide (20:1) and your half-mile interchange is 132 feet long.

If you decide **** that, let's do HO scale: then 1/2 mile * 5280 feet * 1/87 = 30 feet and a few inches. Transport this in your 6-foot pickup truck, you'd have to tie a little red flag on the end, then you'd be OK :-)

TL;DR: interchanges are big :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.