News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Strange road things...

Started by MCRoads, May 26, 2017, 09:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCRoads

This is a thread were you can post strange things you see on the road, that maybe you don't know the function of, or if it is even safe!

My contribution is these things:

http://imgur.com/a/lJgn3

What are they?
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

hotdogPi

I can't tell what you're referring to.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

MCRoads

That is the best pic I could get, but yes, the green anti glare things on the temporary jersey wall are what I'm referring too. They also have them in OKC, like on curves, such as on the tinker diag. or on the older exit ramps on the Robinson/I 35 interchange in Norman.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

more room plz

Brian556

I can't tell what that little thing made of PVC pipe is. A bug catcher?

Max Rockatansky

^^^^

Those things are all the place along US 1, especially on older bridges which have been converted into piers.  I always assumed they had something to do with fishing which is really something I know little to nothing about.

WORSE....now I noticed that car that was crossing the Card Sound Bridge when I zoomed on the image.  I thought for sure he was behind the "bridge" sign.  Usually I try to get pictures without any moving cars or people in them when I convert them to Monochrome:

z114 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Brian556

^Lately, I actually wait for some traffic to come in to the frame before snapping a pic. To me, vehicles add something interesting to the pic, and make the photo represent the time period in which it was taken.

As for the unidentifiable objects, they look like they have couple of government agency logos on them that could help identify their purpose.

I know nothing about fishing either. I don't understand why so many people are interested in something so boring.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Brian556 on May 27, 2017, 03:49:10 PM
^Lately, I actually wait for some traffic to come in to the frame before snapping a pic. To me, vehicles add something interesting to the pic, and make the photo represent the time period in which it was taken.

As for the unidentifiable objects, they look like they have couple of government agency logos on them that could help identify their purpose.

I know nothing about fishing either. I don't understand why so many people are interested in something so boring.

That was the tricky thing, given that was Card Sound Road I was looking to do the exact opposite given I was looking to add something for that 4a Thread.  I was using an iPhone 5 which really doesn't have a very helpful display screen to see where objects are at a distance.  Also there was a massive storm that I had just drove through that was going to catch back up to me which really negated the amount of time I usually have.  :-D

But it wouldn't surprise me if it is some weird Monroe County sort of device and/or logo in that picture.  They tend to do some weird stuff on those islands and Card Sound Road is County maintained.

That was ironic thing when I lived down there in the Keys.  I was always the one digging through the stuff to do or find on land while everyone else was out in the water.  Really the water all looks the same to me for the most part, so spending hours fishing wasn't something that I could ever really get into.

What I do like about the Keys is that you can go down pretty much any random road and find weird stuff like an abandoned wooden bridge or a bat tower:

IMG_8741 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_8790 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

csw

Those pipe things might be monofilament disposals.

I saw a speed limit 9 1/2 sign the other day, unfortunately my picture came out too blurry to make it out...

empirestate

Emergency urinal?

iPhone

wanderer2575

Quote from: Brian556 on May 27, 2017, 02:55:31 PM

I can't tell what that little thing made of PVC pipe is. A bug catcher?

It's for disposal of used monofilament fishing line, for recycling and so that used line isn't left lying around to trap and choke animals.  I don't know who came up with the design of the PVC pipe with a 90-degree bend at the top, but that is a standard design for fishing line collection containers.

MCRoads

So... saw this on googmaps, and had to post it here.

http://imgur.com/a/nkkFp

So, the thru lanes are always green, because the intersecting road cannot turn left, therefore a light is not needed there, so why put it there?
Interstates traveled:

more room plz

vdeane

I don't know, but there's a similar one in Fishkill I've wondered about:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on May 28, 2017, 12:37:24 PM
I don't know, but there's a similar one in Fishkill I've wondered about:

What's in the upper signal face? And the "No U-turn" sign: could that be a median break available to emergency vehicles?

iPhone

1995hoo

Is it possible that the upper faces in vdeane's photo might turn yellow, or flash yellow, if the light ahead is red? Additional advance warning given the overpass there?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

empirestate

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 28, 2017, 02:01:46 PM
Is it possible that the upper faces in vdeane's photo might turn yellow, or flash yellow, if the light ahead is red? Additional advance warning given the overpass there?

If so, I've never seen it happen (and I regularly have the opportunity).

freebrickproductions

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 28, 2017, 02:01:46 PM
Actually, they likely flash yellow when the intersection they're at goes into flash mode.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.