News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Widest/longest roads with an uncommon suffix?

Started by Buffaboy, May 26, 2017, 09:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffaboy

What roads meet this criteria? Like Way, Trail, Circle, etc.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

empirestate

There are lots of prominent "-way"s in Boston, not to mention Broadway in NYC. And there is no shortage of "Pikes" and "Turnpikes" in the Northeast.

iPhone

Big John

There is a East-West Connector in suburban Atlanta.

Buffaboy

Quote from: webny99 on May 27, 2017, 12:13:40 AM
Quote from: Buffaboy on May 26, 2017, 09:48:42 PM

What suffixes do and don't count?
Panorama Trail comes to mind. As does the slew of "Lines" on the QEW.

It's at your own discretion, but think of "Drive" for example. I don't know too many of them that are super long and wide, other than Sheridan Drive in Amherst. Or Lanes for example.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

empirestate

Quote from: Buffaboy on May 27, 2017, 12:47:21 AM
Quote from: webny99 on May 27, 2017, 12:13:40 AM

What suffixes do and don't count?
Panorama Trail comes to mind. As does the slew of "Lines" on the QEW.

It's at your own discretion, but think of "Drive" for example. I don't know too many of them that are super long and wide, other than Sheridan Drive in Amherst. Or Lanes for example.

Oh, well then, you have Harlem River Drive and FDR Drive in Manhattan. Neither is humongously long, nor even all that wide, but they are prominent and well-known roads.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Buffaboy on May 27, 2017, 12:47:21 AM
Lake Shore Drive in Chicago may not be the longest Drive, but it is pretty wide in spots -- at least 4 Lanes a side. Wikipedia puts it at just over 20 miles -- that sounds about right, riding the Shores of Lake Michigan

Bickendan

Calgary has a number of Trails that qualify.

In terms of length, the Northern Woods and Water Route probably wins, at 1500 miles long:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Woods_and_Water_Route

Scott5114

Kansas City is a good place to look. Johnson Drive in Johnson County is a long, major arterial, as is Merriam Lane in Kansas City, KS. And of course, there is the large number of Trafficways (abbreviated Trfwy.) that is basically a Kansas City-only suffix.

Tulsa's Admiral Place probably fits the bill. It's a major arterial and even carried US-66.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

dgolub

How about Thruway?  As far as I know, there's just the New York Thruway (I-87/I-90), the New England Thruway (I-95), and the Lehigh Valley Thruway (US 22), so it would certainly seem to qualify as uncommon.

Thing 342

Quote from: dgolub on May 27, 2017, 07:39:50 AM
How about Thruway?  As far as I know, there's just the New York Thruway (I-87/I-90), the New England Thruway (I-95), and the Lehigh Valley Thruway (US 22), so it would certainly seem to qualify as uncommon.
There's also the Evangeline Thruway (Throughway?), which carries US-90 and US-167 through Lafayette, LA.

As for unusual suffixes, there's the Trail of the Lonesome Pine, which carries parts of US-19, US-460, and US-58-ALT thru the VA panhandle for well over 100 miles.

briantroutman

I was going to suggest "Trace"  (as in Natchez), but I believe the road is officially the Natchez Trace Parkway.

Quote from: dgolub on May 27, 2017, 07:39:50 AM
How about Thruway?

A few others: US 220 is the Appalachian Thruway; the CSVT has long been the Central Susquehanna Valley Thruway (locals will sometimes say "the Thruway"  in reference to the long-delayed freeway). Official CSVT publications claim the T stands for Transportation–probably in an half-hearted effort to make the project seem more multi-modal and transit-friendly, when in fact it's merely a freeway in a utterly car-dependent area.

It would seem that the overwhelming majority of thruways are in New York and Pennsylvania, though.

7/8

Northfield Drive in Waterloo, ON is a 20 km long arterial road, which is a 4 lane divided road in most of the city (turns to two lanes as it enters the country).

jp the roadgeek

There's 17 Mile Dr. on the Monterey Peninsula so named for its length.  Also, Tamiami Trail runs along US 41 from Tampa to Miami and is 275 miles long.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

empirestate

I mean, if we're counting "Drive" as uncommon, then basically we're looking for anything not named Street, Road or Avenue...and in fact, those suffixes might actually yield a shorter list of especially long or wide roads than Drive would!

michravera

As stated, at about 1100 km, "El Camino Real" probably beats everything, but "El Camino" is a pretty common PREFIX in Spanish.

DevalDragon

cpzilliacus

Skyline Drive in Virginia's Shenandoah National Park is slightly over 100 miles in length.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Also in Virginia, we have the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (officially the Lucius J. Kellam Jr. Bridge-Tunnel) which is a little over 19 miles from the entrance toll barrier to the opposite barrier (most of that is bridge or tunnel, but there is also some approach road).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Eth

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 28, 2017, 07:41:52 AM
Also in Virginia, we have the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (officially the Lucius J. Kellam Jr Bridge-Tunnel) which is a little over 19 miles from the entrance toll barrier to the opposite barrier (most of that is bridge or tunnel, but there is also some approach road).

In a similar vein, there's also the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, weighing in at about 24 miles.

dgolub

Quote from: Eth on May 28, 2017, 08:27:40 AM
Also in Virginia, we have the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (officially the Lucius J. Kellam Jr Bridge-Tunnel) which is a little over 19 miles from the entrance toll barrier to the opposite barrier (most of that is bridge or tunnel, but there is also some approach road).

In a similar vein, there's also the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, weighing in at about 24 miles.

If causeway counts, then there's also the Robert Moses Causeway on Long Island at 8 miles.

empirestate

Quote from: dgolub on May 28, 2017, 09:52:56 AM
Quote from: Eth on May 28, 2017, 08:27:40 AM

If causeway counts, then there's also the Robert Moses Causeway on Long Island at 8 miles.

So, does "Causeway" count? That seems to me not to be a street descriptor suffix, but just identifying a type of structure.

iPhone

silverback1065

plain

Also in Virginia there's Pocahontas Trail which is US 60 between the Henrico/New Kent county line (near VA 249) and Newport News except through Williamsburg and western James City County.

And Merrimac Trail, which is VA 143 outside of Newport News and Hampton (except for a very brief portion in northwestern Williamsburg)
Newark born, Richmond bred

bzakharin

Does Skyway count? The Pulaski Skyway is a pretty significant freeway in NJ.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.