News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2-Lane Toll Roads?

Started by fillup420, June 17, 2017, 01:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fillup420

Is there any such thing??

hotdogPi

2-lane toll bridges definitely exist, like NY 23 crossing the Hudson. Also, some former turnpikes (like those in the 19th century) were definitely no more than 2 lanes in width, although the concept of lanes might not have existed back then. Not sure about current toll roads that aren't toll bridges.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

7/8

hbelkins

The Hal Rogers (formerly Daniel Boone) Parkway in Kentucky, and the easternmost 32 miles of the Mountain Parkway, were toll roads until the tolls were removed. Also, the West Virginia Turnpike was two lanes until it was widened in the 1980s.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

The Chickasaw Turnpike in Oklahoma, TX Loop 49 around Tyler, TX, and a leg of FL 570 northeast of Lakeland, FL are all currently-existing examples.

Former examples existed in Kentucky (tolls taken off), West Virginia (widened to 4 lanes) and Florida (widened to 4 lanes).  There may be other examples in the Florida panhandle that aren't specifically water crossings.

briantroutman

In a previous thread on non-freeway toll roads, I had noted Mosey Wood Road near White Haven, PA. It's a mere two lanes, doesn't remotely resemble a freeway, and is privately owned.

cl94

What are we defining as a "toll road"? If we're including roads to the tops of mountains, NY 431 in Wilmington and NY 917A in Lake George count. Both are technically state-maintained.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: fillup420 on June 17, 2017, 01:00:25 PM
Mexico has a lot of super-2 toll roads.

wxfree

In Texas there's Toll 49, as mentioned above.  It isn't actually Loop 49 because TxDOT removed the designation when it turned over the right-of-way to a regional toll authority, which named it Toll 49.  There's also the southern part of Chisholm Trail Parkway.  It's a two-lane road with passing lanes (2 passing lanes on each side over the 13 miles).
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Max Rockatansky

They are actually fairly common place.  I actually took FL 293 on a recent trip which happens to be a two-lane road and even has the correct State Shield to boot.

iPhone

Jbte

Would national park roads considered as toll? if so, then there are many two lanes toll roads inside US, of course those roads offers something unique in landscape and worth visit, same to the 17 mile drive in california.

As mentioned, there are too many toll roads in Mexico, called super roads (super carretera), which works as like 3 lane road, you use shoulder to let the incoming traffic overtake or to allow to pass, it might sound dangerous but works perfectly and allows you to travel faster. There's only two narrow toll roads, one near Compostela and another near Taxco.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Jbte on June 17, 2017, 02:47:43 PM
Would national park roads considered as toll? if so, then there are many two lanes toll roads inside US, of course those roads offers something unique in landscape and worth visit, same to the 17 mile drive in california.

As mentioned, there are too many toll roads in Mexico, called super roads (super carretera), which works as like 3 lane road, you use shoulder to let the incoming traffic overtake or to allow to pass, it might sound dangerous but works perfectly and allows you to travel faster. There's only two narrow toll roads, one near Compostela and another near Taxco.

Funny that was what we were talking about on the 17 Mile Drive thread.  I think that there really two ways to interpret the definition; one by what is maintained by a DOT, and the other by anything road wise that would include a fee to use.  I'd say stuff like National Parks with scenic roads in addition to the 17 Mile Drives/Pikes Peak Highway would fit the bill...in addition to being two-lanes.

iPhone

wxfree

I wouldn't consider roads in a national park to be toll roads.  You pay an entry fee, not a road use fee.  To me, the difference is that you get a permit that allows entry into the park for a certain period of time.  The cost is the same regardless of how many times you use the road or how far you go, unlike a toll road.  Also, you may enter and leave the park at the same place, in which case use of the road is only incidental to getting access to the park.

In a similar way, I don't consider International Parkway, the main road through DFW Airport, to be a toll road.  You go through a booth to get a ticket and pay when you leave, but what you pay is like a parking fee.  It increases with the amount of time the vehicle is inside the airport.  The road can be used as a toll road, since it provides a shortcut, but the airport (slightly) discourages that by charging a dollar more than minimum fee if you get from one end to the other quickly.  Also, it's common to enter and leave at the same place, so use of the road is again secondary to entry, which is what you're really paying for.

Regarding scenic roads, to me the difference is based on whether you pay for an entry permit that's good for a period of time, or whether you pay for each use of the road, as with other toll roads.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

michravera

Quote from: fillup420 on June 17, 2017, 01:00:25 PM
Certainly the Antioch Bridge CASR-160 in California (from Contra Costa to Sacramento County)

US 89

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 17, 2017, 02:53:19 PM

Funny that was what we were talking about on the 17 Mile Drive thread.  I think that there really two ways to interpret the definition; one by what is maintained by a DOT, and the other by anything road wise that would include a fee to use.  I'd say stuff like National Parks with scenic roads in addition to the 17 Mile Drives/Pikes Peak Highway would fit the bill...in addition to being two-lanes.

iPhone

What about toll roads that function as urban freeways or connectors, but are maintained by a private company? Such as E-470 in CO, or Adams Ave Pkwy in UT. Would those count as DOT style toll roads? Or would they be their own third class of toll road?

cpzilliacus

The approaches to the F.S. Key  Bridge (signed I-695, but really MD-695) south of Baltimore were Super-2 roads from the time that the bridge opened in 1977 for many years (the bridge itself was designed and constructed as four lane divided). These were several miles in length and have always been under MDTA ownership.

The approach from the east (Sparrows Point and Edgemere areas of Baltimore County) was reconstructed from Super-2 to a conventional 4 lane freeway in the 1990's.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

There's a toll road around Lakeland, Florida, that has a two-lane section on its eastern side with a toll plaza located in the middle of the two-lane section.

FL-570, Auburndale, FL 33823
https://goo.gl/maps/wKjwTv8uyM82
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 18, 2017, 08:58:24 AM
The approaches to the F.S. Key  Bridge (signed I-695, but really MD-695) south of Baltimore were Super-2 roads from the time that the bridge opened in 1977 for many years (the bridge itself was designed and constructed as four lane divided). These were several miles in length and have always been under MDTA ownership.

The approach from the east (Sparrows Point and Edgemere areas of Baltimore County) was reconstructed from Super-2 to a conventional 4 lane freeway in the 1990's.

The Outer Harbor Crossing, an 11-mile-long toll facility between MD-10 Arundel Freeway and MD-151 North Point Boulevard, was opened to traffic on March 23, 1977, and this completed the Baltimore Beltway. The Outer Harbor Crossing was planned as a two-lane freeway on four-lane right-of-way, with a single-tube two-lane 6,200-foot-long harbor tunnel. The two-lane freeway was placed under construction, the causeways (landfill for roadway across a water body) for the tunnel portals were built, and when the tunnel was advertised for construction in 1970, the bids received on July 30, 1970 were so high that it was determined that a four-lane high-level bridge could be built for about the same cost as the revised estimate for the tunnel project, about $50 million. So the bridge was built, well-known to motorists as the Francis Scott Key Bridge.

The south approach was widened to four lanes by 1981.

The north approach was widened to four lanes in 2000.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadguy2 on June 18, 2017, 12:17:40 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 17, 2017, 02:53:19 PM

iPhone

What about toll roads that function as urban freeways or connectors, but are maintained by a private company? Such as E-470 in CO, or Adams Ave Pkwy in UT. Would those count as DOT style toll roads? Or would they be their own third class of toll road?

Yes, because they are normal roads. They are simply maintained by a private company.  They still need to adhere to FHWA and MUTCD standards.

formulanone

Orchard Pond Parkway near Tallahassee, Florida.

NE2

Poinciana Parkway near Orlando.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

thenetwork

Up at Cedar Point, Sandusky Ohio, if one was to use the CP Causeway to access the Cedar Point Road (the pre-causeway way to CP and the back way into the park from US-6) or vice versa, a small toll is charged.  If you plan to stay at Cedar point, they charge you for parking which is tacked onto the toll.  The "old route" is a residental two-lane road.

NE2

Quote from: thenetwork on July 01, 2017, 09:46:42 PM
Up at Cedar Point, Sandusky Ohio, if one was to use the CP Causeway to access the Cedar Point Road (the pre-causeway way to CP and the back way into the park from US-6) or vice versa, a small toll is charged.
But that's four lanes.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

thenetwork

Quote from: NE2 on July 01, 2017, 09:49:45 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on July 01, 2017, 09:46:42 PM
Up at Cedar Point, Sandusky Ohio, if one was to use the CP Causeway to access the Cedar Point Road (the pre-causeway way to CP and the back way into the park from US-6) or vice versa, a small toll is charged.
But that's four lanes.

You're either going from a 2-lane to a 4-lane road or from a 4-lane to a 2-lane.  The booth to pay a toll only to go between the two roads is also on a 2 lane stretch.of road.

amroad17

Skyline Drive.  Even though it is in a National Park, you have to pay to use it.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.