News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What is the speed limit of the road you live on?

Started by US 89, June 21, 2017, 08:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the speed limit of the road you live on?

Less than 20
70 or higher
Other

1995hoo

Unposted, so it defaults to 25. Only one or two people ever go that fast, though. It's a very short street.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

allniter89

Quote from: xcellntbuy on June 21, 2017, 05:48:04 PM
GA 212 55 mph on the edge of the Oconee National Forest.  More deer and trees than cars at any time.
Sounds like heaven to me.
Not posted for me, its a private dirt road not even wide enough for 2 cars to pass. There are only 5 residences on the road, I was 1st here & alone for 9 yrs them civilization found me ;-). Nearest paved road we use to access our property is signed 25 & largely ignored.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

UCFKnights

No speed limit. And no default either, as its a private (HOA) road. No enforcement of any kind either. And speeding has never been a problem... most go 30-35mph and slow down to 20mph if kids are out. Its safe though as the HOA does enforce no parking on the street, so visibility of any kids out playing is real good.

froggie

QuoteWhen you guys say "state speed limit", do you mean "state highway limit" or "government-maintained road limit" or what?

In Vermont's case, all public roads unless otherwise signed.  Towns have the authority to set the speed limits on their town roads anywhere between 35 and 50 MPH without a traffic/engineering study, but anything other than 50 MPH must be signed to be legit.

(EDITED TO ADD:)

QuoteNo speed limit. And no default either, as its a private (HOA) road. No enforcement of any kind either.

I presume your HOA doesn't have an agreement with the local municipality or county for traffic enforcement.  From what I've read of Florida state law, such agreements are allowed.  You may also find this of interest.  It's an opinion from the state Attorney General 30-some years ago, under which the state AG's office ruled that private HOA roads that allow public travel (i.e. to/from a country club open to the public) *CAN* be enforced by local/county police without a prior agreement.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SignGeek101

I think the quiet residential street has a limit of about 40  :bigass:

UCFKnights

Quote from: froggie on June 21, 2017, 09:55:23 PM
[...]
I presume your HOA doesn't have an agreement with the local municipality or county for traffic enforcement.  From what I've read of Florida state law, such agreements are allowed.  You may also find this of interest.  It's an opinion from the state Attorney General 30-some years ago, under which the state AG's office ruled that private HOA roads that allow public travel (i.e. to/from a country club open to the public) *CAN* be enforced by local/county police without a prior agreement.
That is interesting and on point and was a good read. I wouldn't say it is quite as direct as what you're saying (as it says if it places any restriction at all, such as requiring the use to be from/to the country club) then the traffic enforcement statute would NOT apply. Interestingly enough, I've happened to have recently read the covenants of that exact community (Turkey Creek), and would say that road is not open to the public and would not qualify for that statute (although that point is moot as my understanding is they did enter into an enforcement agreement with the municipality).

My community's covenants also does not permit quasi-public travel either and has not entered into an agreement for enforcement. The police actively tell residents who call to complain that they do not have authority over traffic violations, until there is either an accident or a criminal act (such as DUI). It was previously looked into here on what it would take, and all signs would have had to have been replaced for MUTCD compliance before they would agree to it, and the problem is really non-existent so most of the community didn't want to spend money on that.

fillup420

45, but its a long slight uphill grade so people go well over 60 on the way down, and for some odd reason, folks like to fly up the hill as well. I am guilty of both though, so I can't complain.

Duke87

Quote from: jakeroot on June 21, 2017, 03:39:19 PM
When you guys say "state speed limit", do you mean "state highway limit" or "government-maintained road limit" or what? Here in Washington, state highways have a limit of 60 (if unsigned). County roads are 50 (if unsigned). All other roads are city roads, and are 25 (if unposted), unless otherwise modified by a local council. I'm guessing other states don't have different limits for state and county roads?

Not in the northeast, at least. For one thing, most northeastern states do not have county roads - New York and New Jersey are the odd exceptions.

But yes the state speed limit of 50 in Vermont, as far as I'm aware, applies to any road where there is not signage to the contrary regardless of who maintains it.

The same is true of New York's state speed limit of 55, however municipalities are allowed to set lower defaults within their boundaries. If you see a sign that says "village speed limit 30", that means the limit is 30 both on the road you're on and all other roads within the village if not otherwise signed. This type of broad logic is why you don't see signs in New York that simply say "speed limit 55", they say "state speed limit 55". Likewise New York City is peppered with "city speed limit 25" signs.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

jakeroot

Quote from: Duke87 on June 22, 2017, 12:51:37 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 21, 2017, 03:39:19 PM
...County roads are 50 (if unsigned)....

For one thing, most northeastern states do not have county roads - New York and New Jersey are the odd exceptions.

To make it plain, when I say "county roads", I mean all roads that are not maintained by a city or state. Here in Washington, that means all non-state highways outside of a city's jurisdictions.

For example, the county I grew up in (Pierce County) has a Public Works department. They maintain all the roads in the county that aren't within city limits or part of state highways. These roads are legally 50 unless there's a sign stating otherwise (and there usually is, but that's beside the point). Are you saying that, outside of NY and NJ, all roads in the northeastern states are maintained by either cities or the state? Nothing in-between?

hotdogPi

Quote from: jakeroot on June 22, 2017, 03:00:20 AM
Are you saying that, outside of NY and NJ, all roads in the northeastern states are maintained by either cities or the state? Nothing in-between?

Not sure about PA, but definitely no county-maintained roads in New England.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

citrus

15mph, and it's a public street! I live on an alley that barely fits 2 cars across.

NWI_Irish96

I've seen residences on roads with a 60 mph speed limit, but I'd be surprised if there are any roads with higher speed limits that have direct residential access.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SP Cook

Technically none.  Private street.  Police have no jurisdiction.  HOA has a non-standard 20 MPH sign, but it has no legal standing.  Lived here over 25 years, never seen anybody go too fast. 

doorknob60

Currently, posted at 25 on a public street. EDIT: Actually, my street does not have anything posted, but the only 2 other public streets it connects to are both actually signed at 25, so it's just assumed.

Default speed limits in Idaho are very inconsistent but I think Meridian does 25 MPH unless otherwise posted (but that fact is not signed, unlike Nampa and Caldwell which post their default of 20 at the city borders). Regardless, Meridian does not have any streets signed at 20 MPH (despite that speed being very common in Boise, Garden City, Nampa, and Caldwell; Eagle and unincorporated Ada county are 25 I believe for residential roads).

Place I lived at in Bend though, the roads I'm pretty sure were privately maintained (not by the city). When I first moved there, the main road was posted at 25 with standard Oregon style signs. Then later, they replaced it with a stupid looking custom 19 MPH sign (it was blue!). That one didn't last long. I'm pretty sure it still has a standard "SPEED LIMIT 20" sign now. I don't know if there's any enforcement. On the main road in the subdivision nobody really goes 20. They also added an unnecessary 3 way stop near the entrance (at the first side street, the one I happened to use). Maybe it's because it was nearby a school and around a curve, but I never saw a problem with that before, I think they just wanted to slow people down  :-/

None of the other streets in the subdivision have any speed limits signed though, so I'd say technically those should default to the Oregon default residential speed of 25, though I think their idea was that the 20 sign at the entrance applies to the whole neighborhood. Speed isn't an issue on the side streets though so in practice it doesn't really matter.

CNGL-Leudimin

No speed limit posted, so it is the default limit for my hometown, 40 km/h. Which is a little slower than 25 mph which is my choice in the poll, but only by 0.2 mph.
Quote from: cabiness42 on June 22, 2017, 10:59:21 AM
I've seen residences on roads with a 60 mph speed limit, but I'd be surprised if there are any roads with higher speed limits that have direct residential access.

I'm not sure, but there may be some residences on a road with a 100 km/h (62 mph) speed limit I know.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

thenetwork

Quote from: roadman65 on June 21, 2017, 08:43:49 AM
My subdivision had the people tell the HOA to keep the ridiculously low main thorofare in our subdivision at 30 mph instead of raising it to 35 or 40 were it belongs as most of the 85 percentile does that or more anyway.  What is funny about it is when cops were forced to patrol the road, most of the citations were issued to residents of our community.

So the very same people who requested the 30 mph speed zone are the very same ones who don't follow it.  It was even mentioned in the community newsletter as it completely baffolded the author's mind.

To me that is not surprising as we have a mod on here who allows for one user to be obnoxious due to the nature of a mental illness he has, but at the same time another person with the same exact illness who reacts obnoxiously is told to watch his step or be dealt with per forum guidelines. So hey I do not want others to speed but being its me I can speed though.

I just had one douchebag pull up behind me and argued that I was speeding in his subdivision.  He claimed I passed him illegally (despite the tool driving under 10 MPH with his ear in a cellphone), that I was speeding, and that children were playing in the area...

1) There were NO yellow lines on the street nor any posting of DO NOT PASS / NO PASSING ZONE signs in his subdivision.
2) Despite his claim that the speed limit was 15 MPH, the sign at the entrance to his subdivision was signed at 20 MPH.
3) There were no children playing on or near the street, and if they were, I still was not speeding (I was probably passing him AT 15 MPH) nor was I passing illegally in front of anyone walking/playing by the curbside.

Oh, and did I mention that I had a clear dashcam shot of the entire ordeal, recorded his asinine claims and threatened to have the police come over to look at the video, including a shot of him ILLEGALLY driving while on his cellphone???

I am not saying this applies to all people, but to MANY people --

"The bigger their pickup truck the smaller their brain"  and,...
"The bigger and louder their custom tailpipes, the smaller their private parts".

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on June 22, 2017, 08:14:57 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 22, 2017, 03:00:20 AM
Are you saying that, outside of NY and NJ, all roads in the northeastern states are maintained by either cities or the state? Nothing in-between?

Wow! I didn't realize that county-maintained roads were unusual. It's something I'm so used to.

On the flip side, I suppose it's hard to imagine a state where 80%+ of the roads are maintained by somebody other than a state or city.

SD Mapman

Mine's 20, but there are only three houses right next to each other.

After that there's nobody for about 2 miles.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

froggie

Jake:  county-maintained roads aren't unusual except in certain parts of the country, primarily Virginia and (most of) New England.  But one also has to consider that in a large chunk of the country...basically north of the Mason-Dixon Line and east of the Rockies, the base unit of government isn't the county but is instead a town or township.

jakeroot

Quote from: froggie on June 22, 2017, 07:45:45 PM
Jake:  county-maintained roads aren't unusual except in certain parts of the country, primarily Virginia and (most of) New England.  But one also has to consider that in a large chunk of the country...basically north of the Mason-Dixon Line and east of the Rockies, the base unit of government isn't the county but is instead a town or township.

Gotcha.

In Washington State, the levels of government go State > County > City/Town. Each maintains their own roads (unless a provision has been made for one to maintain the other's).

briantroutman

Quote from: 1 on June 22, 2017, 08:14:57 AM

In most of PA's 67 counties, the only county-owned roads are essentially driveways on county property: access roads to county reservoirs, roads in county-owned parks, etc. The one notable exception is Allegheny County, which owns and maintains approximately 800 lane miles, not as part of a planned network of continuous routes but as disjointed segments of roads that continue as state- or municipally-maintained roads.

I found this in an Allegheny County report on road and bridge ownership:

QuoteAllegheny County is responsible for maintaining 800 lane miles of roadway, which puts Allegheny County in a unique position of maintaining more lane miles of road than all the other counties combined in Pennsylvania.

It is typical for Pennsylvania counties to own the roads in their county parks. It is atypical for them to own any other roads.

To my knowledge, no PA county (including Allegheny) signs county routes, and I've never seen a pentagonal county route marker anywhere in the state.

On the other hand, Pennsylvania has an exceptionally large state road network–I've seen it ranked as the fifth largest, despite the state being #6 in population and #33 in land area.

wxfree

Mine is 0.00016104581257 light seconds per hour.  It's unsigned and is the state default for an urban street in Texas.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

CNGL-Leudimin

Too much Elite Dangerous, perhaps? Even though I don't play it I follow what happens there, and it has influenced my fictional country, where some of the northernmost items are named Beagle Point and Oevasy Island.

Anyway, that figure translates to roughly 7.88 smoots per second.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

froggie

Quote from: 1Not sure about PA, but definitely no county-maintained roads in New England.

For most of New England, yes...but this is not entirely true.  There are some county roads in Maine.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.