News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Does any flickr users on here get following from others outside the community?

Started by roadman65, June 21, 2017, 08:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I noticed that many of my flickr photos are being followed by what appears to be non road enthusiasts.  In other words non road geeks are favoring my photos or simply following my pages, which I do not mind.  However, some like my worst photos and it is surprising that non road enthusiasts are into looking at photos of roads.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

My account is still relatively new but I've noticed that I have a couple non-road followers.  But that said most of my popular stuff for views is really just random road signs, I can't fathom why this BGS has the most views by a large margin:

1CAa by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

This is my number 2 which makes way more sense:

IMG_5191 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

formulanone

Yes, but I have more than Road photos (aerial photos, automobiles, aircraft, et al) on my site. Some people just like the way the road looks in the photo. Or, the idea of road photography suddenly interests them.

There's also some folks who seem to "fave" to get attention to their Flickr page. Once or twice is fine — I'll reciprocate to interesting photos on occasion — some folks just seem to have 80,000+ favorites which seems really time-consuming. There's one or two which seem to like everything, regardless of quality, and that's just spammy. Some folks just really like a particular interest, and that's a bit more understandable. 

The suspicious accounts have 100,000+ favorites, and might even follow, but zero posted photos. I guess they're bots or just saving the pics for future use? (I mark about 90% of my photos as Creative Commons, so that much is to be expected.)

vdeane

Not on Flickr, but yes, I have several non-roadgeeks following my site's Facebook page.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

JJBers

I don't have any non-road followers, but I have favorites from various types of photos. I really don't take much road photos, so that helps.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

roadman65

I seem to notice that on some phones when you set the pic as your opening page it downloads it each time you turn your phone on or access the internet.  So if somebody, lets say, likes a US 1 shield you may have on your page, and sets it to be the home page on their phone, each time they open their internet, you receive a view.

Also another thing to note is that not every picture you have gets opened, but seen as on your home flickr page you can view all of them without opening each individual ones.  Usually people open a pic if they want detail or cannot make out the writing on a specific sign they are interested in.

That is why many users on here who are well known, and are respected by most of us here have few little visits to their pages.  Its because we all look at the wall of photos and admire them together why so little viewing a photo of like 4 or 5 for a photo that is there for years.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Something I noticed about Flickr that is kind of weird is that it says that I have about 14k photos on my page but the actual total is much closer to 36-37k.  I'm pretty sure it isn't a privacy thing since my settings are largely public, my theory is that it has something to do with the actual photo file sizes.  Some of my photos are extremely old and have been cleaned up significantly which means they are only 50-80kb.  When I search the photo albums or photostream the actual count is much more apparent, I was curious if anyone knew what the discrepancy was about.

JJBers

Quote from: JJBers on June 22, 2017, 11:24:24 PM
I don't have any non-road followers, but I have favorites from various types of photos. I really don't take much road photos, so that helps.
Never mind, I just got one...
Anyways this is my most viewed photo:

Baltic, Connecticut by JJBers, on Flickr
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

Max Rockatansky

A new number one "most viewed" has emerged on my page:

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I'd say Donner Pass certainly would be on the short list of stuff that I thought would rank high, that album was popular in general.

JJBers

Mine have been a old mill in Baltic, CT, and a sign for CT 138...in Baltic

134 views (1 fave)

103 views (0 faves)
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Back when I was active with the roadfan website (with Marc), I discovered that our site would get attention from the "Urbanist" crowd who were interested in our photos that had anything to do with buildings.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.