Alfredo Angelo (Wedding Store) closes abruptly

Started by bing101, July 14, 2017, 10:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/business/alfred-angelo-bridal-abruptly-shuts-down/765434199.

Also in the article there's stories of brides making recent purchases on Wedding gowns and they can't get their packages.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

txstateends

Quote from: Takumi on July 15, 2017, 06:47:52 AM
Never heard of them.

They were a looong-time wedding dress design house.  This is *big* news in the bridal industry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Angelo

(My mother used to work for a bridal shop for a while.)
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

DeaconG

They sold their dresses in 2500 stores plus 60 branded stores.  You have women who put down deposits and can't get their dresses and they are PISSED.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/14/news/alfred-angelo-wedding-dresses-closing/index.html
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

LM117

Quote from: DeaconG on July 15, 2017, 10:25:48 AM
They sold their dresses in 2500 stores plus 60 branded stores.  You have women who put down deposits and can't get their dresses and they are PISSED.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/14/news/alfred-angelo-wedding-dresses-closing/index.html

I just had this visual:

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

vdeane

I honestly don't understand how this is legal.  If a deposit was put down, they should be obligated to deliver on time, regardless of whether they decide to close abruptly or not.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ZLoth

Quote from: vdeane on July 15, 2017, 09:41:50 PMI honestly don't understand how this is legal.  If a deposit was put down, they should be obligated to deliver on time, regardless of whether they decide to close abruptly or not.
Except that there was no intent to deceive by the store employees. They were also surprised by the sudden closure.

Which means that all of those brides and bridesmaids are now creditors. If they paid by credit card, they should be disputing the charge with their credit card company. However, if they paid by check.... congratulations! you are now a creditor, and now have to file a claim. Happy waiting!
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

davewiecking

Declared Chapter 7 with less than $50,000 in assets and over $50 million in liabilities. Shafting customers and suppliers in such a situation is seen as the honorable thing to do by better people than me...

bing101

http://fox40.com/2017/07/13/alfred-angelo-bridal-shop-shuts-its-doors-without-warning/

Here's the fallout of Customers waiting for their packages at the Sacramento area Alfredo Angelo Wedding store.

ZLoth

Quote from: davewiecking on July 15, 2017, 10:20:51 PM
Declared Chapter 7 with less than $50,000 in assets and over $50 million in liabilities. Shafting customers and suppliers in such a situation is seen as the honorable thing to do by better people than me...

Only $50k in assets and $50 million in liabilities? That's not even enough to pay the wages of the employees who lost their jobs, and that takes higher precedence over layaway orders.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

mgk920

This is like every now and then when a restaurant is ordered to be closed by their bank during the height of their lunch rush.  The deputies come in and order everyone out, regardless of how much food is left on their plates.

But yes, this does happen.  About a year or so ago a franchise of a chain of buffet restaurants (in the Ohio Valley region?) abruptly closed overnight.

And if a bank fails, the FDIC sends their closing crew in at scheduled business close time on a Friday.  But by the time that it gets to that point, the managers know very well that the end is near, only wondering if this is the Friday when the axe will be falling.

Like with the failing bankers, I have no doubt that in these cases (like with the bridal stuff company), the company's top management is also well aware that the end is drawing near.

Mike

hbelkins

Glad I didn't have a wedding dress on order!  :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

Laura

Wow! I would have been so pissed if this happened around this time 4 years ago. I bought the orange sash that I wore with my wedding dress from Alfred Angelo. (My wedding dress itself was from David's Bridal, and my veil was my mother's wedding veil.) That said, I would have been out a whole lot less money than someone who was waiting on their wedding dress from them.

iPhone

cjk374

A nation full of bridezillas...next up is the zombie apocalypse!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.