Most traffic lights (signal heads) at a 2 road intersection? (30)

Started by BigRTM, July 19, 2017, 10:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRTM

In Tampa, Florida.

This is at the intersection of Nebraska Ave. (US 41) and Fowler Ave. (SR 582), looking westbound on Fowler Ave. As you can see in this link, there are 30 traffic lights at this intersection.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.0546819,-82.4506612,3a,75y,254.57h,91.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWCxwGBet8gNVp9-UFoAvEQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edit: I meant to specify just the signal heads, not including the pedestrian/crosswalk signals.

jeffandnicole

paulthemapguy

These are called signal "heads" if you're looking to get technical.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Brandon

I'll check later, but I think we can outdo that here in Illinois.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jakeroot

Any wide intersection with a "signal per lane" setup is likely to have a lot. So places that space out their signals, like California, are probably out of the running.

This four-way intersection in Federal Way, WA has 32 signal heads: https://goo.gl/MYEiNs (each double left has four signal heads alone). There'd be 36 if each approach was signal-per-lane.

cl94

Jesus H...yeah, I don't think I've ever seen anything that crazy here in New York. That many lanes and NYSDOT starts spacing stuff out. Most I can remember seeing in this state is 20 + 8 ped heads.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Ian

I wish I was able to get photos (drove it only at night), but I passed through several intersections along The Strip in Las Vegas that had very impressive amounts of signals. The intersection with Harmon Avenue, in particular, has 52 separate traffic signal heads. However, there are so many, that I could be off by one or two.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Brandon

Here are some from Illinois:

Six Corners, Joliet: 30 signal heads for vehicles, 12 for pedestrians, total of 42.
Meacham & Golf, Schaumburg: 24 signal heads for vehicles, 16 for pedestrians, total of 40.

IDOT requires two signals per turning movement and a minimum of three signals for the through movement.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

cl94

Quote from: Ian on July 20, 2017, 07:06:58 PM
I wish I was able to get photos (drove it only at night), but I passed through several intersections along The Strip in Las Vegas that had very impressive amounts of signals. The intersection with Harmon Avenue, in particular, has 52 separate traffic signal heads. However, there are so many, that I could be off by one or two.

That is absolutely ridiculous. Like...WHY? Duplicated heads for one movement? We would have made do with half as many heads in NY, if not fewer. :spin:
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Revive 755

Randall Road at Fabyian Parkway in Kane County, Illinois, has a good number

If we can count intersections with a railroad crossing but not count the pre-signals, US 14 at New Wilke Road also has a good number (however it appears the Streetview van has not been through there since the rebuild of the intersection wrapped up).

Or how about the IL 83 at IL 137?

Brandon

BigRTM

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 20, 2017, 11:31:56 AM
These are called signal "heads" if you're looking to get technical.

Yeah, I meant to specify that. I changed the title accordingly.

BigRTM

And I was just in Las Vegas a little over a month ago. Somehow it slipped my mind a little. But with all the vehicular traffic, pedestrian traffic, and tall lit-up buildings on that road, I can kinda understand the excessiveness.

Revive 755

WI 100/Mayfair Road at US 18/Bluemound Road in the Milwaukee area has at least 31 vehicular signal heads and 15 +/- pedestrian signal heads for a total of 46.

Since Illinois does not do head per lane in Chicagoland (excluding Kane County, Naperville, and Will County on occasion), I don't think Illinois will be able to top the Las Vegas intersection.

(Edited to fix missing hyperlink)

jakeroot

Brandon

roadfro

Quote from: cl94 on July 20, 2017, 07:11:55 PM

That is absolutely ridiculous. Like...WHY? Duplicated heads for one movement? We would have made do with half as many heads in NY, if not fewer. :spin:

First, note that new signal standards for Nevada typically specify one overhead signal head per lane, plus a far side pole mount for through and left turn signals. For larger intersections, it's becoming increasingly common to include supplemental signals on the near side as well (pole mount for the through, and overhead on the opposing mast arm for left turns). That automatically increases the signal head count.

This intersection presents additional challenges. It is one of the main entrances to the City Center complex, located on a wider part of Las Vegas Blvd (triple left turns and four through lanes) and an unusually wide part of Harmon Avenue (dual left turns and 3/4 through lanes). Also, Harmon Ave intersects at an angle, due to how the original eastern alignment had to be curved to tie into City Center. The width and angle of the intersecting streets creates sa very big intersection and results in typical placement of most signal heads (on mast arms or far right/left poles across from the stop bar) being way beyond the longitudinal distance specified and/or outside the "cone of vision" lateral offsets specified in the MUTCD. This explains the why three of the four approaches have redundant signal mast arms.

BTW: I counted 53 signal heads.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Revive 755

Looks like there is a programmed delay for some of the left turn heads?  In the Streetview photos, the far head for the triple lefts still has a green arrow while the primary and median mounted head have yellow arrows and later red arrows.  I don't believe I've seen that elsewhere.

roadfro

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 23, 2017, 12:10:23 PM
Looks like there is a programmed delay for some of the left turn heads?  In the Streetview photos, the far head for the triple lefts still has a green arrow while the primary and median mounted head have yellow arrows and later red arrows.  I don't believe I've seen that elsewhere.

It's very possible there's a delay there, given the width of the intersection. I've seen that in a few places with wide intersections where the main signal is no longer visible once you've crossed a little past the stop line. Mostly at some major SPUIs.

LG-D850

Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

dfnva

https://goo.gl/maps/cuQ2Fn3YFLR2

26 signal heads + 4 pedestrian signal heads at the intersection of Waxpool Rd (SR-625) and Loudoun County Pkwy (SR-607) near Ashburn.

This may win it for Virginia, or at least in the Northern Virginia region where signals are generally placed between lanes instead of directly over lanes and supplemental side-mounted or near-side signals are rare. There could be some intersections in the Richmond suburbs (US-250 near Short Pump) and Charlottesville (US-29 north of Charlottesville) that could surpass this, since there is usually a signal head per lane.

plain

Quote from: dfnva on July 26, 2017, 11:04:02 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/cuQ2Fn3YFLR2

26 signal heads + 4 pedestrian signal heads at the intersection of Waxpool Rd (SR-625) and Loudoun County Pkwy (SR-607) near Ashburn.

This may win it for Virginia, or at least in the Northern Virginia region where signals are generally placed between lanes instead of directly over lanes and supplemental side-mounted or near-side signals are rare. There could be some intersections in the Richmond suburbs (US-250 near Short Pump) and Charlottesville (US-29 north of Charlottesville) that could surpass this, since there is usually a signal head per lane.

I'll have to check around myself but I know of one intersection in Hampton that definitely has it beat

https://goo.gl/maps/5BYAu7i1f5F2

This is Mercury Blvd & Armistead Ave (where VA 134 leaves Armistead to join US 258). You'll have to move around to see all the heads (they're black and several of them are ground mounted)

I counted 32 heads + 6 pedestrian signals
Newark born, Richmond bred

KEK Inc.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZcgXXsRiS7D2

I don't think there's any other intersection in the country that tops this.  This one has 0 pedestrian signals too.  :)

Take the road less traveled.

Eth

That's the same intersection in Vegas from Ian's post above (rotate the camera 180 degrees).

Revive 755

Dusting off this thread . . .

While it won't top the Las Vegas intersection, Eagle Road at Pine Road in Meridan, Idaho has around 30 vehicular heads and 4 pedestrian heads for a total of at least 34.
Streetview

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.