News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How good is your sense of time/direction without a phone or watch?

Started by Otto Yamamoto, August 04, 2017, 09:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otto Yamamoto

I can usually determine my general direction of travel and estimate the time of day, generally within 2-5 minutes without referring to anything. I likely came to the latter because I have to be able to pass medications and do wound care and treatments within a specific time window as a requirement of my job.

STV100-2

hotdogPi

Time of day: Maybe 20% off.

Sense of direction: Not an issue for me, as I know where I'm going. I generally look at a map before going on a trip to an unfamiliar location.

Otto Yamamoto, is that within 2-5 minutes after not looking at the time for an hour? 6 hours?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

US 89

I live in SLC area. Wasatch mountains are always in the east in SLC, smaller mountains and the lake in the west. So my sense of direction never really gets tested here, unless I'm deep in downtown. And even then, most all the streets are numbered, and you might still see the mountains.

In places like other cities' downtowns, I generally look at a map before I walk around, but I can usually get a good feel for the streets there. Google walking directions don't even work well, since tall buildings often interfere with the GPS signal.

vdeane

My sense of direction is pretty good.  My sense of time, however, is inconsistent.  Sometimes I'm spot on, but sometimes it's easy for me to space out for what I think is 30 seconds and have 5 minutes go by.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

My sense of direction is usually pretty good too.  The times it's not, usually I find a familiar landmark or regain some sense of something.

My sense of time?  I must look at the clock 200 times a day.  100 times I look at the clock, and 100 times I re-look at the clock because I never actually looked at the time! lol

Darkchylde

Sense of time: +/- 30 mins or so during daylight.

Sense of direction: I've usually got a good idea of which direction I'm heading, though diagonal directions are trickier than going in a cardinal direction.

tchafe1978

My sense of time is fairly good. While at work, I can usually gauge pretty well when it's break time :D

As for sense of direction, it is pretty easy to tell when I'm heading north or south, and not just by looking at the road signs. I just have a natural feel for it. The only time I can remember my sense of direction being thrown off was when my family was vacationing in San Diego when I was a kid. Growing up in the Milwaukee area, I was used the to "coast" being in the east, and being in San Diego and having the coast in the west made everything feel like it was backwards.

inkyatari

Really good.  I rarely get lost, and I can tell directions pretty good as well.

My 14 year old son's sense of direction is much better.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Max Rockatansky

Directions and time are fairly are easy if you follow the position of the sun in the sky.  Granted it tends to migrate as the seasons change.  Night can be followed in a similar way if you know what stars to look and have a lack of light pollution to see them.

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: tchafe1978 on August 09, 2017, 09:46:44 AM
My sense of time is fairly good. While at work, I can usually gauge pretty well when it's break time :D

As for sense of direction, it is pretty easy to tell when I'm heading north or south, and not just by looking at the road signs. I just have a natural feel for it. The only time I can remember my sense of direction being thrown off was when my family was vacationing in San Diego when I was a kid. Growing up in the Milwaukee area, I was used the to "coast" being in the east, and being in San Diego and having the coast in the west made everything feel like it was backwards.
Funny thing, when I lived in San Diego, I had the same problem.

STV100-2

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: 1 on August 04, 2017, 10:11:02 AM
Time of day: Maybe 20% off.

Sense of direction: Not an issue for me, as I know where I'm going. I generally look at a map before going on a trip to an unfamiliar location.

Otto Yamamoto, is that within 2-5 minutes after not looking at the time for an hour? 6 hours?
That's usually any given time. It may be because for many years,  my job is to get specific tasks: Giving medications and rendering treatments in a very specific time window.

STV100-2

GaryV

One time when we had guests over at our house, I looked up and said, "Oh, it's after 8:00 already?"

She asked how I knew that, was I looking at the sun?

Nope, Southwest Airlines flight inbound to Detroit City Airport (back when they still flew there).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.