News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2017 Solar Eclipse

Started by PColumbus73, August 18, 2017, 08:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PColumbus73

I'm surprised this hasn't already been made a topic.

Who is going to be watching the Solar Eclipse on Monday? I will be headed down to Charleston with my parents.

In South Carolina, the state is expecting at least 1 Million people coming from out of state alone. Hotels in Charleston and Columbia are nearly 100% full. People are already starting to come into the state for the weekend!

What about y'all? Traveling? Not bothering?

JJBers

*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

7/8

epzik8

Supposedly it will be 80 percent visible here in Maryland.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

freebrickproductions

I'm going to be up in Gallatin, TN for the eclipse to watch it in totality.

SM-G900V

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

pumpkineater2

Unfortunately for me, Monday is the start of training week for the department that I work in at a University. I don't know if they will allow us to go outside to view it at all. The eclipse will only reach about 68% totality where I will be, however I still think it's worth taking a peek at, so we'll see.

When I originally heard about the eclipse about a year ago, I had ambitious plans to travel to Wyoming to view it, but I just cant manage it.
However, come hell or high water, I will travel to see the April 8th 2024 total eclipse, which has an even larger path of totality spanning from Mexico to the Northeastern US.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

vdeane

Similar situation for me.  I had planned to view the partial eclipse, but then a training thing got scheduled for Monday afternoon.  Seriously, why would someone schedule something at the same time as a solar eclipse?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US 89

Quote from: vdeane on August 18, 2017, 11:56:04 PM
Similar situation for me.  I had planned to view the partial eclipse, but then a training thing got scheduled for Monday afternoon.  Seriously, why would someone schedule something at the same time as a solar eclipse?

Especially considering that this is probably the most highly publicized solar eclipse ever?

As for me, I had been hoping to drive up to ID or WY, but it's just not going to work out. Still, 91 percent totality is not bad, and it'll be more than the 2012 annular eclipse I went to Southern UT to see, which had 89 percent coverage.

wxfree

If you can't make this one, start planning ahead for 7 years from now.  This one will extend from Del Rio, Texas to Buffalo, New York to New Brunswick.  The path of totality includes my area, near DFW.  The southern I-35 W/E split in Texas is near the center, with more than 4 minutes of totality.

Detailed view on Google Maps
https://eclipses.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2024Apr08Tgoogle.html

As a point of interest, southern Illinois, around Carbondale, is in the path of totality for both.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

cjk374

I will be working Monday. I work outside, so if my work day is busy enough, I will see it.

I am greatly interested in the one in 2024...I am only 4 hours from Dallas. And 3 from the projected path in Arkansas.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

1995hoo

I wasn't able to get a solar filter for my DSLR, so I will simply watch the partial eclipse without my camera. Had I gotten a filter, I was hoping Lafayette Park would be open (don't know whether it will be) because a picture of a solar eclipse over the White House would have been very cool.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

tchafe1978

It looks like it will be cloudy and/or stormy over most of Wisconsin on Monday, so all we may see is darkened skies.

bing101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhVDisdnWXU

Interestingly Jim K. Georges and the Freewayjim crew filmed Charleston, SC one of the cities thats going to be a hotspot for the eclipse.

SignGeek101

Looks like it will rain Monday here... it's been very dry here and it rains on the one day it can't...

Here it will only be partial anyways, and I don't have those special glasses.

Jim

Unclear what to do so far tomorrow using Papillion, Nebraska, as a starting point.  It looks like west toward central Nebraska has a better chance of sun than south toward Beatrice or somewhere in the southeast corner of the state.  At the moment, I'm thinking an early morning ride to Grand Island is my best bet.  Thinking I-80 is to be avoided.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on August 18, 2017, 11:56:04 PM
Fed Aid 101?  For Pete's sake, skip it and attend the eclipse!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

GreenLanternCorps

Unfortunately I will be taking tech support calls during the eclipse...  :angry:

amroad17

I guess I can wait 7 years.  Where I live, I will be in nearly 97% totality.  I guess this year I will be around 90% totality here.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Jim

A quote I read today said the difference between 99% and 100% tomorrow will be like the difference between seeing a lightning bug flash and seeing a flash of lightning.  Too bad the weather might not be cooperative for my 100%.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

7/8

I saw these two VMS's all around Nashville today (these photos were from I-65 SB heading into the city).

My family managed to find three pairs of solar glasses in downtown Nashville for tomorrow, so I can rest easy knowing we finally have them!

sparker

Found some solar clip-ons for my regular glasses, so I'll look forward to our projected 73% eclipse down here in San Jose.  A friend's going up to Nampa, ID to see what a centerline (or close) experience is like -- unfortunately, I'm stuck here for the day on a project, otherwise I'd ride up with him -- if for nothing else, to reacquaint myself with US 95 from Winnemucca to the Treasure Valley.

1995hoo

I was looking at the map for the 2024 eclipse and I noted Toronto and Niagara Falls appear to be in the path of totality. Those struck me as possible destinations, but then I thought further and it occurred to me that it's not as easy to go south from there in the event of weather problems (due to the border crossing's inherent delays), so somewhere rural in the US probably makes more sense.

That one is also on a Monday (April 8). Thankfully, Easter is March 31 that year, so there won't necessarily be quite the double-hit of traffic that might occur if it were April 7!

SSOWorld

Quote from: Jim on August 20, 2017, 01:03:28 PM
Unclear what to do so far tomorrow using Papillion, Nebraska, as a starting point.  It looks like west toward central Nebraska has a better chance of sun than south toward Beatrice or somewhere in the southeast corner of the state.  At the moment, I'm thinking an early morning ride to Grand Island is my best bet.  Thinking I-80 is to be avoided.
Even Grand Island looks bleak.   Some models have as much as 75% cloud cover in Grand Island (Where I am basing)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ET21

Might have cloud cover blocking it out, 90% totality though forecasted for the Chicagoland area. Will be cool to see it go dark for a little bit during the day
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

1995hoo

I just gave my last extra pair of eclipse glasses to a colleague who was desperate. She said the line at the Air and Space Museum was wrapped around the building early this morning.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.