News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Vermont

Started by Alex, January 29, 2009, 04:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEVIN_224

Sorry. I get those two confused all the time. Don't see a lot of them in Connecticut. Massachusetts does them too often, from what I've seen!

cl94

When did Vermont start using FYAs? I was surprised to see on in Barre yesterday and another couple on VT 116.

Swung by the new service area at I-89 Exit 7 as well. Looks a lot like the new ones on I-93 in New Hampshire minus the liquor store.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

shadyjay

The first I saw was up on VT 117 in Essex, west of the "5 corners".  Also the "new" left turn from VT 100 North to I-89 South at Exit 10 in Waterbury has one. 

froggie

At least 3 years ago, as I noted in another thread.  The FYAs you likely saw on VT 116 (I'm presuming in Hinesburg) date back to then.

cl94

Quote from: froggie on November 06, 2016, 05:18:25 PM
At least 3 years ago, as I noted in another thread.  The FYAs you likely saw on VT 116 (I'm presuming in Hinesburg) date back to then.

Shows how often I get to that part of Vermont. I typically stay south of US 4 or, if I'm up there, I keep to the major routes because it's a long-distance trip. They were in Hinesburg.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

jcroyer80

FYAs are part of the new traffic signal/expanded turn lanes at the Route 7/Little Chicago/Middlebrook Road intersection in Ferrisburgh.  Lights just went up within the past month or two.  FYAs are in both directions on Route 7.

KEVIN_224

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/2016/11/24/history-space-creation-vermont-interstates/94332176/

Surprised you guys didn't link this here already! I believe it was linked on the Alp's Roads' Facebook page. Fascinating read nonetheless! My favorite picture was when the West River Bridge over I-91 in Brattleboro was nearly finished.

froggie

The photos themselves were released over the summer and mentioned then.

shadyjay

So today I noticed new foundations/bases in front of the postage stamp "Welcome to Vermont" sign on I-91 NB at the MA/VT state line.  Looks like there will be a larger sign there at some point in the not-too-distant future. 

Preliminary work is getting underway for the next big bridge replacement on I-91... the Williams River bridges in Rockingham at Exit 6.  No lane closures just yet, that'll happen in the spring.  Gonna be a "reroute all traffic to one bridge, replace the other, move all traffic there, replace that one" type of deal, I believe.

Still no new signs for the I-91 Jct on I-89 NB in White River Jct.  I find it odd.  If they were holding out on replacing them until the Connecticut River Bridge gets rebuilt, then why did they replace the "Welcome to Vermont" sign?  There was nothing wrong with the old one (outside of its small size).  Or maybe they'll come back to finish the job come springtime.

Got a shot of that Travel Plaza sign on I-89 NB just past the welcome center in Sharon...
IMG_2679 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr
... there's a similar sign just before Exit 7 as well. 

And there's a good sized project going on to replace the US 2 bridge over I-89 in Middlesex, between Exits 8 & 9. 

shadyjay

Quote from: shadyjay on December 01, 2016, 06:05:00 PM
So today I noticed new foundations/bases in front of the postage stamp "Welcome to Vermont" sign on I-91 NB at the MA/VT state line.  Looks like there will be a larger sign there at some point in the not-too-distant future. 

And I guess I was right, as KEVIN_224 linked in another thread...

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=19409.msg2204014#msg2204014

froggie

A couple worthy newspaper articles.  First one is about how some have struggled with the new FYA signals on the Morrisville bypass.  Second discusses a proposed street project in Burlington that would connect the end of Battery St directly with Pine St (with the goal of it being finished around the same time as the Champlain Parkway, which would add additional traffic to Pine St).

http://www.stowetoday.com/news_and_citizen/news/local_news/blink-blink-how-about-turning-now/article_69b920d6-e991-11e6-abde-5fa48aae7e5d.html

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/2017/02/01/burlington-fast-tracks-south-end-shortcut/97152108/

SectorZ

Quote from: froggie on February 04, 2017, 11:22:56 PM
A couple worthy newspaper articles.  First one is about how some have struggled with the new FYA signals on the Morrisville bypass.  Second discusses a proposed street project in Burlington that would connect the end of Battery St directly with Pine St (with the goal of it being finished around the same time as the Champlain Parkway, which would add additional traffic to Pine St).

http://www.stowetoday.com/news_and_citizen/news/local_news/blink-blink-how-about-turning-now/article_69b920d6-e991-11e6-abde-5fa48aae7e5d.html

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/2017/02/01/burlington-fast-tracks-south-end-shortcut/97152108/

That Morrisville story is just something else. Some people are just afraid of their own shadows on the roads, and probably shouldn't be driving if they are that spooked. That being said, every intersection I've seen with an FYA has a sign explaining how to proceed through it, and the ones pictured in the story don't appear to have them.

cu2010

Quote from: SectorZ on February 05, 2017, 07:39:47 AM
That being said, every intersection I've seen with an FYA has a sign explaining how to proceed through it, and the ones pictured in the story don't appear to have them.

The ones in NY are the same way. Confusion is just as evident. I've grown to like the FYA signal, but there really needs to be a sign explaining how it actually works.

They did have a piece on the local news when the lights were first installed, but nobody watches the local news, so...
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Alps

Quote from: cu2010 on February 05, 2017, 10:38:31 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on February 05, 2017, 07:39:47 AM
That being said, every intersection I've seen with an FYA has a sign explaining how to proceed through it, and the ones pictured in the story don't appear to have them.

The ones in NY are the same way. Confusion is just as evident. I've grown to like the FYA signal, but there really needs to be a sign explaining how it actually works.

They did have a piece on the local news when the lights were first installed, but nobody watches the local news, so...
Prior to the existence of the FYA, no one had a problem understanding you yield to oncoming traffic on a green light. I really don't buy that argument, and it shouldn't have been installed here. It only makes sense in cases where there would be a left turn trap (lagging green on the other side) or - and only recently have I come around - when a left or right turn at a T intersection needs to yield to something like a crosswalk with a walk signal. (In which case a green arrow lasting the entire cycle would not allow pedestrians to cross.)

yakra

Quote from: froggie on February 04, 2017, 11:22:56 PM
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/2017/02/01/burlington-fast-tracks-south-end-shortcut/97152108

QuoteAshley Fisher, 29, a Burlington resident, walks Monday with her one-year-old daughter, Khloe, along King Street. Photographed July 30, 2017.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

abqtraveler

Quote from: shadyjay on December 01, 2016, 06:05:00 PM

Preliminary work is getting underway for the next big bridge replacement on I-91... the Williams River bridges in Rockingham at Exit 6.  No lane closures just yet, that'll happen in the spring.  Gonna be a "reroute all traffic to one bridge, replace the other, move all traffic there, replace that one" type of deal, I believe.

Still no new signs for the I-91 Jct on I-89 NB in White River Jct.  I find it odd.  If they were holding out on replacing them until the Connecticut River Bridge gets rebuilt, then why did they replace the "Welcome to Vermont" sign?  There was nothing wrong with the old one (outside of its small size).  Or maybe they'll come back to finish the job come springtime.

Got a shot of that Travel Plaza sign on I-89 NB just past the welcome center in Sharon...
IMG_2679 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr
... there's a similar sign just before Exit 7 as well. 

And there's a good sized project going on to replace the US 2 bridge over I-89 in Middlesex, between Exits 8 & 9.

Looks like a sign replacement project is happening along I-91 in Vermont.  Any idea if Vermont plans to renumber to mile-based exits any time soon?
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

shadyjay

The last of the old signs along I-91 between north of Exit 6 and I-89 will be replaced starting this spring.  Recent sign replacements have exit tabs wide enough for 2 digits.  I don't think there are any immediate plans to go to mile based exits, but they're at least planning ahead. It'll be interesting to see if this year's signs will be Clearview or not.

abqtraveler

Quote from: shadyjay on February 06, 2017, 06:41:18 AM
The last of the old signs along I-91 between north of Exit 6 and I-89 will be replaced starting this spring.  Recent sign replacements have exit tabs wide enough for 2 digits.  I don't think there are any immediate plans to go to mile based exits, but they're at least planning ahead. It'll be interesting to see if this year's signs will be Clearview or not.

Sounds like Vermont is preparing for the inevitable, but doesn't have a set timeline to switch to mile-based numbering. 
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

froggie

An article in the Brattleboro Reformer notes that VTrans expects to move northbound I-91 traffic to the new West River bridge (which also spans over VT 30) in March.  The article suggests one southbound lane on the new bridge will open in late-April, with both southbound lanes open by mid-June.

DJDBVT

Quote from: froggie on February 17, 2017, 10:12:07 AM
An article in the Brattleboro Reformer notes that VTrans expects to move northbound I-91 traffic to the new West River bridge (which also spans over VT 30) in March.  The article suggests one southbound lane on the new bridge will open in late-April, with both southbound lanes open by mid-June.

The new bridge opened to northbound traffic today. Southbound traffic continues to use the old span for now.

cl94

Southbound traffic still using old span as of this afternoon.

On a different topic, when exactly did Vermont switch away from the square shield?

froggie

QuoteSouthbound traffic still using old span as of this afternoon.

The article I cited upthread gave a late-April timeframe for southbound traffic.

Alas, don't have an answer to your other question.

cl94

Quote from: froggie on April 08, 2017, 09:54:36 PM
The article I cited upthread gave a late-April timeframe for southbound traffic.

Duh. :pan:

Of course, makes me wonder what's taking so long. You'd think they'd have it basically ready to go.

froggie

Transitions/approaches at the ends.  Northbound was easy because the new bridge is where the old northbound bridge used to be.  Had to move northbound to the new bridge so that they could finish the southbound approaches.

DJDBVT

Southbound I-91 traffic has been shifted to the new bridges over the West River/Route 30 and Upper Dummerston Road in Brattleboro. The old Upper Dummerston span will be dismantled next week, while the longer span over the river will be taken down over the course of the next several months.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.