News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois 53 Extension

Started by Brandon, July 28, 2010, 11:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Route 53 extension gets some attention from tollway
QuoteLake County officials will present a united front Thursday as the decades-old idea to extend Route 53 north from Lake-Cook Road resurfaces as a topic of discussion.

Whether more talk will ultimately translate into action is uncertain. But the Illinois Toll Highway Authority's interest in revisiting the controversial plan gives Lake County leaders another chance to show support.

The big question is, can they get past the morons who run Long Grove?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Can anyone in the Chicago area go to the Tollway Board meeting? it sounds interesting something that road geeks would enjoy.
Clearly if thye cant make money thye cant pursue it but I really do think it would help if road supporters could show up to these things

rawmustard

Quote from: 3467 on July 28, 2010, 09:18:44 PM
Can anyone in the Chicago area go to the Tollway Board meeting? it sounds interesting something that road geeks would enjoy.

The article said it was a public presentation, so anyone could attend if they wanted. I know I've tried to attend public meetings whenever the timing works and the project interests me.

Brandon

Speaking of which, Route 53 extension backers rally tollway.

If the Illinois tollway is feeling like the popular kid in class these days, it's small wonder.

QuoteThursday, Lake County leaders lobbied Illinois State Toll Highway Authority directors to take under their wing the extension of Route 53, joining a crowd of other communities asking the agency to adopt particular projects. ... The tollway is in the midst of reviewing what new construction projects to undertake. Some options include the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway and western bypass, Tri-State and I-57 interchange, and Prairie Parkway connecting I-88 and I-80 in the far western suburbs. Officials expect to make a decision later this year.

Take note that almost everyone is for the Illinois 53 extension except Long Grove and Hawthorn Woods.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-07-29/news/ct-met-tollway-0730-20100729_1_new-tollway-tollway-system-jane-addams-memorial-tollway
This is the Tribs Story. I do not see any Federal problems on Endngered Species. There is only a NIMBY (Long Grove) Problem not an Envirnmental problem. It would end in a very inventive Toll Arterial that Lake County came up withso it will not cause a problem with the only serious problem the Volo Bog
I take issue with another element in these stories. The so called list of projects. That is true of IDOT, but in Illinois either the toll road makes money and can be built or its not yet viable and land will be protected, hopefully. I think that is what will happen with the Prairie Parkway and perhaps the Illiana. I think 53 and the Elgin Ohare are now viable.
The Freeway notice signe in the Daily Herald story was a common sight in Illinois . It wasnt from just the supplemental freeway program but was an innoative acess control plan that IDOT of course foolishly abandoned

Brandon

^^
The Illiana and Prairie Parkway are viable now as well.  The current plans for the Illiana have it meeting I-55 near the largest intermodal yard in the region (one that's only going to grow in a couple of years).  The Prairie Parkway is a much needed bypass of Plainfield, Yorkville, and Aurora between I-80 and I-88.  It'll be used by cars and trucks as soon as it's built.  Might even relieve I-355 and I-294.

http://www.lakecountyil.gov/Transportation/PlansandStudies.htm

This is Lake countys plan for the arterial road tie in . IL 52 looks like it will be a very innovative project.
The PP combined with the Illiana makes even more sense. I wonder if they can be directly connected or will use 80 and 55 ?
Are there any other projects being pitched to the Toll Authority?

Stephane Dumas

For the IL-120 upgrades, maybe they should be inspired a bit from the upgrades of Kystone Ave once known as IN-431 in NE Indianapolis. Instead of intersections, some small diamonds interchange with "dogbone" roundabouts to link the ramps and local streets should be studied as well.

froggie

QuoteMight even relieve I-355 and I-294.

And would probably open up even more of the IL 47-and-west area to sprawl.  The same sprawl that has already made IL 47 a signal-clogged PITA.

Brandon

Quote from: froggie on August 01, 2010, 09:13:14 PM
QuoteMight even relieve I-355 and I-294.

And would probably open up even more of the IL 47-and-west area to sprawl.  The same sprawl that has already made IL 47 a signal-clogged PITA.

Too late, Adam, the sprawl is already there.  People seem to forget that the sprawl comes first, then the roads to actually handle the traffic.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on August 02, 2010, 08:44:42 AM
Too late, Adam, the sprawl is already there.  People seem to forget that the sprawl comes first, then the roads to actually handle the traffic.

nah, in a lot of cases, the road comes first.  look at I-10 approaching Houston from the west, for instance.  I've seen a video from 1985 where it's all farmland until very close to the city (about Beltway 8, even) and today of course it's all businesses and billboards all the way out well past Katy.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 02, 2010, 10:04:35 AM

nah, in a lot of cases, the road comes first.  look at I-10 approaching Houston from the west, for instance.  I've seen a video from 1985 where it's all farmland until very close to the city (about Beltway 8, even) and today of course it's all businesses and billboards all the way out well past Katy.

I take it you've never been to the western half of Lake County, IL.  No freeways of any kind, but sprawl everywhere.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on August 02, 2010, 11:23:12 AM

I take it you've never been to the western half of Lake County, IL.  No freeways of any kind, but sprawl everywhere.

I probably have, but I tend not to remember the sprawl I've been through.  I've only got so many brain cells; I'm not gonna waste them on that!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

SEWIGuy

Do they have any ROW acquired...or even mapped?  The cost of that alone would be astronomical.

Brandon

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 02, 2010, 04:23:17 PM
Do they have any ROW acquired...or even mapped?  The cost of that alone would be astronomical.

IIRC, the ROW is mostly accquired and/or protected.  The road is mostly mapped.

From Lake County:
Map

TheStranger

Quote from: Brandon on August 02, 2010, 11:23:12 AM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 02, 2010, 10:04:35 AM

In that vein, while there are freeways along the edges of Citrus Heights and Arden in the Sacramento area, the core portions of both communities do not have any freeways running through - but were heavily developed as suburbs!
Chris Sampang

mgk920

Quote from: Brandon on August 02, 2010, 04:39:07 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 02, 2010, 04:23:17 PM
Do they have any ROW acquired...or even mapped?  The cost of that alone would be astronomical.

IIRC, the ROW is mostly accquired and/or protected.  The road is mostly mapped.

From Lake County:
Map

The IL 53 ROW in Lake County is very easily traceable on Goggle and Bing aerial images.  Especially, check where it crosses that subdivision on the west side of Mundelein - the developer was arrogantly building away when IDOT issued him a 'STOP WORK' order for the part that was on the planned/mapped ROW.  This was likely in the mid-late 1980s.

Further on, the preserved ROW for the planned US 12 freeway/tollway (extended from the IL 120 west leg) to Wisconsin is emerging in McHenry as the city grows northward, it is also easily visible on those aerial images.

Mike

Brandon

Quote from: mgk920 on August 04, 2010, 12:56:47 AM
The IL 53 ROW in Lake County is very easily traceable on Goggle and Bing aerial images.  Especially, check where it crosses that subdivision on the west side of Mundelein - the developer was arrogantly building away when IDOT issued him a 'STOP WORK' order for the part that was on the planned/mapped ROW.  This was likely in the mid-late 1980s.

Further on, the preserved ROW for the planned US 12 freeway/tollway (extended from the IL 120 west leg) to Wisconsin is emerging in McHenry as the city grows northward, it is also easily visible on those aerial images.

Mike

Exactly.  These folks who build near these routes, and then complain that they will be built, are either woefully ignorant of everything around them as it is obvious a freeway will go there one day or woefully stupid as they believe it won't be built.  Either way, they should know better.

http://www.goto2040.org/projectlist/

IL 53 is the top road project. Looks like all tolls. Nothing on arterials Just a funding number. Kane,Lake McHenry and Will have county plans with arterial wish lists.
IDOT is studying very few routes (IL 31 in McHenry and US 45 and IL 83,131,137 and 173 in Lake)

mgk920

Quote from: 3467 on August 17, 2010, 11:45:03 PM
http://www.goto2040.org/projectlist/

IL 53 is the top road project. Looks like all tolls. Nothing on arterials Just a funding number. Kane,Lake McHenry and Will have county plans with arterial wish lists.
IDOT is studying very few routes (IL 31 in McHenry and US 45 and IL 83,131,137 and 173 in Lake)

*VERRRRRRRRY INTERESTING!*

http://www.goto2040.org/scenario/default.aspx?id=15601

:cheers:

Mike

http://www.lakecountyil.gov/Transportation/Home.htm

I will try to find the other counties maybe somone can combine the post. I have seen Dekalb,Kankakee and Kendall but I dont recall specific projects. I have never seen anything from Cook or DuPage. City of Chicago plans are all in 2040. MidCity Tranitway may be a road for Busses and Trucks in the old Crosstown Corridor.

Click on the 2020 plan and a pdf will pop up I expect it will be the one with IL 53 now . Lakecounty Passage is a great traffic site . Agood Model

Post Merge: August 18, 2010, 10:12:48 PM

http://www.co.kane.il.us/DOT/publications.aspx

Kane County 2030 includes state and local roads under publications

Post Merge: December 31, 1969, 06:59:59 PM

http://www.co.mchenry.il.us/departments/dot/Pages/index.aspx
McHenry

Post Merge: December 31, 1969, 06:59:59 PM

http://projects.ch2m.com/willcounty/DesktopDefault.aspx

Last But not least Will County

Revive 755

The extension as "a 21st Century urban highway"?
http://www.cmap.illinois.gov/2040/capital-projects (scroll down about 3/4 of the page)

I really see this being a decent alternative to the existing Tri-State/Lake Cook Road route.[/sarcasm]

froggie

Arguably better than it not getting built at all.

http://www.illinoistollway.com/portal/page?_pageid=133,1399546&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

The tollway studies of IL 53,Illiana,Prarie Parkway,Elgin Ohare and possible new interchanges. Beyond that I count only 7 add lanes projects in Lake and Mc Henry counties and US 34 in Kendall and DeKalb as under study so we need to hope teh Tollway finds these viable.
There is nothing downstate here but there just is not enough traffic volume

Henry

Quote from: 3467 on May 14, 2011, 09:35:03 PM
http://www.illinoistollway.com/portal/page?_pageid=133,1399546&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

The tollway studies of IL 53,Illiana,Prarie Parkway,Elgin Ohare and possible new interchanges. Beyond that I count only 7 add lanes projects in Lake and Mc Henry counties and US 34 in Kendall and DeKalb as under study so we need to hope teh Tollway finds these viable.
There is nothing downstate here but there just is not enough traffic volume

At this point, I would give anything to see everything mentioned above get built.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.