News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

I totally just saved that picture to my hard drive
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

freebrickproductions

Happened to stumble upon these old signs in Killen, AL while out and about today. The first sign is an embossed speed limit sign on J C Mauldin Highway, which appears to be a former alignment of US 72 through Killen:
Embossed Speed Limit Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Next I found this old 50s-60s-era "Stop Ahead" assembly on School Lane, just off of J C Mauldin Highway. These signs would be installed like this on a concrete post, but they'd also usually have a sign that gave a distance (such as "500 feet") underneath the "Stop Ahead" sign, apparently. This was likely installed by the state back when Lauderdale County was a "captive county". Either way, it's rather neat that this sign has managed to survive without replacement for so long, as it's very much a classic Alabama sign install. Also, note the little "visor"-like thing on the "Intersection" sign. That serves the purpose of helping re-enforce the sign so it doesn't warp as easily.
Old Stop Ahead Signage Assembly by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Aerobird

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 15, 2017, 10:48:33 PM
Also, note the little "visor"-like thing on the "Intersection" sign. That serves the purpose of helping re-enforce the sign so it doesn't warp as easily.
I have to admit, I never thought I'd see a road sign with a Gurney flap!
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

formulanone

Quote from: Aerobird on February 16, 2017, 12:19:12 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 15, 2017, 10:48:33 PM
Also, note the little "visor"-like thing on the "Intersection" sign. That serves the purpose of helping re-enforce the sign so it doesn't warp as easily.
I have to admit, I never thought I'd see a road sign with a Gurney flap!

...or wickerbill.

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

D-Dey65

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 11, 2015, 06:45:56 AM
Quote from: formulanone on August 10, 2015, 12:29:09 PM
Southbound on SC 170/US 17, near the Georgia/South Carolina state line:

Not ALT / SC 170 by formulanone, on Flickr

Wikipedia suggests this routing was once part of US 17, and Alternate US 17 took its place in 1975, so this assembly is at least that old.

The bridge in the interchange is dated 1974 so this sign likely dates to then.  It was definitely there in 1987.
I saw that as recently as 1999 when I took Greyhound to NYC.

Anyway, here's a button copy stop sign that somebody is trying to auction off on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Red-PORCELAIN-Stop-Sign-Cat-Eye-Reflectors-CITY-OF-BERKELEY-California/371901969046?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3Dc22b59240bc2414a95624344323591d3%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D292067712426   

cl94

Somehow got several beauties in one picture. Grafton, VT.

I can't decide which is best: the square VT 121, the ancient mileage signs or the embossed speed limit sign? There's a less-faded VT 121 on the post behind it.

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

7/8

I really like the signage for the yellowhead highway where it branches off from TCH 1 in Manitoba:

formulanone

Found a rare West Virginia "delta route" in Morgantown:

hbelkins

I've only seen a couple of others in all my travels in West Virginia. There was one on CR 857 between Cheat Lake and the state line the last time I traveled that route.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CGPerry

One of my personal favorites.  Bakersfield, California.  You got button copy and Buck Owens in one nice looking sign. 

CGPerry

Interstate 5, Northern California.

CGPerry

Hard to beat this one.  Seattle, WA, about five years ago. 

CGPerry

Interstate 10 near Palm Springs, CA. 

CGPerry

CGPerry

CGPerry

On I-5 near CA152 in the year 2000. 

CGPerry

CGPerry

Near Gerlach, NV, 2009.  Now gone, and replaced by something boring.

CGPerry

CGPerry

CGPerry

I like this one.  It's a little busy, but it gets its point across. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.