News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, June 18, 2012, 11:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on June 19, 2017, 08:41:18 PM
The counties can handle much more than they have responsibility over right now.

Based on what evidence? I know it isn't Arkansas, but many of Alabama's rural counties are struggling to keep up with maintenance of county roads. Some counties are even turning some lesser-traveled roads back to gravel.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 19, 2017, 09:30:03 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on June 19, 2017, 08:41:18 PM
The counties can handle much more than they have responsibility over right now.

Based on what evidence? I know it isn't Arkansas, but many of Alabama's rural counties are struggling to keep up with maintenance of county roads. Some counties are even turning some lesser-traveled roads back to gravel.
Sebastian is doing fine, they just resurfaced part of Massard Rd. I am only expressing my opinion based on world observations. I have not seen of any reports of my county shifting to gravel. Here: http://agcouncil.net/2015/09/arkansas-counties-voice-opposition-to-idea-of-shifting-responsibility-on-roads/ All I was able to find on any opposition to this subject.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

bugo

Most counties in Arkansas are broke. County roads throughout the state suck. If AHTD decommissions all these highways then the municipalities will be raising taxes.

US71

Quote from: bugo on June 19, 2017, 10:50:15 PM
Most counties in Arkansas are broke. County roads throughout the state suck. If AHTD decommissions all these highways then the municipalities will be raising taxes.

They do anyway.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on June 19, 2017, 11:23:03 PM

They do anyway.
So, what I gathered from this statement, wàs that if AHTD deccomissioned some highways, the result would be higher taxes throughout the counties (possibly differing from the state tax by X amount)? And, yet still shit for roads? But, I would like to say for a while Fort Smith needed resurfacing on some side streets and most recently, they got it! Maybe I am not seeing the whole financial scope, but what I am not seeing is a down grade. We may let our roads run over schedule, but when they do get resurface it feels and looks nice.

robbones

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on June 20, 2017, 12:11:42 AM

They do anyway.
So, what I gathered from this statement, wàs that if AHTD deccomissioned some highways, the result would be higher taxes throughout the counties (possibly differing from the state tax by X amount)? And, yet still shit for roads? But, I would like to say for a while Fort Smith needed resurfacing on some side streets and most recently, they got it! Maybe I am not seeing the whole financial scope, but what I am not seeing is a down grade. We may let our roads run over schedule, but when they do get resurface it feels and looks nice.
Now only if they could fix North A & B Streets by temporarily allowing trucks to take Midland Blvd and 10th and 11th Street to/from Garrison Avenue

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: robbones on June 20, 2017, 10:47:41 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on June 20, 2017, 12:11:42 AM

They do anyway.
Now only if they could fix North A & B Streets by temporarily allowing trucks to take Midland Blvd and 10th and 11th Street to/from Garrison Avenue
While riding my bike, I have seen trucks on 11th and 12th streets. (I only cross them, it has the characteristics of Wheeler Ave, in how dangerous it looks just riding in traffic like that).

US71

The city and AHTD have been talking the last day or two about enforcing Truck Routes.

robbones

Quote from: US71 on June 22, 2017, 07:46:11 PM

The city and AHTD have been talking the last day or two about enforcing Truck Routes.
Hince the word TEMPORARILY

bjrush

Quote from: Road Hog on June 19, 2017, 07:16:51 PM
Quote from: bjrush on June 19, 2017, 02:04:28 PM
If they just cut the roads with under 2000 vehicles per day from the system, it would be cut to 7,000 miles. That's a reduction of 60%

All that does is shift the financial burden onto the counties to keep up these roads. If the state grants funds to counties for road maintenance, then it's only a partial solution.

Not true. County engineering and maintenance standards are much lower than AHTDs. Costs would be saved.

Really, turning roads back just puts them where they belong. A few hundred vehicles per day is not a state level priority
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Dedication of new AR162 will be this Tuesday. Just don't expect to drive it yet. Must have been the only day all the politicians were available to tell people how important they are.

yakra

Quote from: US71 on April 11, 2017, 09:10:58 AM
I wonder though if 64B will remain or be re-extended to the 61/71B /162 junction.
My guess is that this will be a No:
QuoteOnce Arkansas 162 is complete, the old highway – which runs from U.S. Route 64 to Fayetteville Avenue down to Main Street and east to the new section of highway – will be turned over to the city to become part of Alma's downtown streetscaping project.
That being said, will US64Bus...
- remain as-is, ending at Fayetteville Ave?
- be cut back to end at the new AR162 intersection?
- be eliminated entirely?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

US71

Quote from: yakra on July 09, 2017, 12:48:54 PM
Quote from: US71 on April 11, 2017, 09:10:58 AM
I wonder though if 64B will remain or be re-extended to the 61/71B /162 junction.
My guess is that this will be a No:
QuoteOnce Arkansas 162 is complete, the old highway – which runs from U.S. Route 64 to Fayetteville Avenue down to Main Street and east to the new section of highway – will be turned over to the city to become part of Alma's downtown streetscaping project.
That being said, will US64Bus...
- remain as-is, ending at Fayetteville Ave?
- be cut back to end at the new AR162 intersection?
- be eliminated entirely?

I see 3 options:

Extend to 64/71B
Truncate at Marsha Woolly Drive. (new 162)
Eliminate

Considering Alma's plans to renovate downtown after 162 is moved I'd say it's likely 64B will be eliminated (based in part of the truncations of 64B east of Bald Knob. I wonder, too, if 162 will be extended along 64 back to 71B , or even I-40.

As an aside, I'll note the bridge at Little Frog Bayou is on the schedule for replacement.

yakra

Quote from: yakraMy guess is that this will be a No:
Quote from: US71Extend to 64/71B
My post may have been based on faulty assumptions. Does Arkansas allow state "touring routes" to be signed on city-maintained roads? AR ain't KS, or IA, or even CT...
If so, depending on where AR falls on the KS/IA<->ME spectrum, this could help answer the extend/keep/truncate question. Or allow an extension of AR162.

QuoteConsidering Alma's plans to renovate downtown after 162 is moved I'd say it's likely 64B will be eliminated (based in part of the truncations of 64B east of Bald Knob.
Not 100% sure I follow. Do you mean, eliminated along the Fayetteville Ave - Marsha Woolly Dr stretch?
East of Bald Knob, I see a few US64Bus routes ending at AR highways. Probably because AHTD dislikes multiplexes?
I don't know enough to know whether there's anything (US64B-wise) that's been deleted entirely.

There are also a few instances of US business routes ending at unnumbered local roads:
US67 Bus (Biggers, AR)
US67 Bus (Datto, AR)
US79 Bus (Stuttgart, AR)
...so I'm not writing off the "remain as-is, ending at Fayetteville Ave" option just yet.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

US71

Arkansas eliminated 62B at Rogers a few years ago and attempted to reroute AR 12 around downtown.

65B at Harrison was rerouted around downtown a few years back, as well.

If there are a lot of trucks through town, I can possibly see 64B being (re) extended. Otherwise I think it may be eliminated.

BTW: if you look at Stuttgart, 79B no longer enters downtown, but does continue as AR130..

yakra

Quote from: US71 on July 10, 2017, 09:03:55 AM
Arkansas eliminated 62B at Rogers a few years ago and attempted to reroute AR 12 around downtown.
Attempted; they did, right? Entering from the east on Locust, it turns north on 2nd to intersect US62 & AR94.
https://www.arkansashighways.com/maps/cities/rogers_cave_little_lowell_city.pdf
Shown in GMSV too.
From there, well... another unsigned Arkansas multiplex. Or, officially, just a gap...  :-/

65B at Harrison was rerouted around downtown a few years back, as well.
Yikes. Definitely gotta fix this one in TravelMapping.

BTW: if you look at Stuttgart, 79B no longer enters downtown, but does continue as AR130..
Aah yes. I didn't give this a close enough look in the Highway Browser; you're right. I was thrown off by the waypoint label (MainSt) -- the transition point to AR130 is at an unnumbered road, but it's definitely AR130 east of there.

US71

If you follow independent signage, 12 follows 71B to 8th, north to Hudson Rd, east to 2nd St (62/94 intersection), then south to Locust

Interstate signage suggests east on 71B, north on I-49, then east on 62 to 2nd St, south to Locust

yakra

I just checked in GMSV, and... wow. Just as you said. :wow:

robbones

Took a drive around Alma yesterday, and Marsha Woolley is still not open to traffic, By the look of things, AR 162 will multiplex with US 64 and turn North along US 71B with only AR 162 reassurance signs North of US 64 and south of I 40. US 64B from the current AR 162 (Fayetteville Ave) to the Eastern terminus was resurfaced, which makes no sense since they are going to replace the bridge soon.

LGL64VL

US71

Quote from: robbones on July 26, 2017, 09:36:25 AM
Took a drive around Alma yesterday, and Marsha Woolley is still not open to traffic, By the look of things, AR 162 will multiplex with US 64 and turn North along US 71B with no reassurance signs North of US 64. US 64B from the current AR 162 (Fayetteville Ave) to the Eastern terminus was resurfaced, which makes no sense since they are going to replace the bridge soon.

162 is supposed to open sometime in August, despite already having had the dedication (probably the only time the politicians were available)

robbones

Quote from: US71 on July 26, 2017, 10:25:29 AM
Took a drive around Alma yesterday, and Marsha Woolley is still not open to traffic, By the look of things, AR 162 will multiplex with US 64 and turn North along US 71B with no reassurance signs North of US 64. US 64B from the current AR 162 (Fayetteville Ave) to the Eastern terminus was resurfaced, which makes no sense since they are going to replace the bridge soon.

162 is supposed to open sometime in August, despite already having had the dedication (probably the only time the politicians were available)
Probably just in time for school

LGL64VL

US71

Quote from: robbones on July 26, 2017, 11:04:16 AM
Quote from: US71 on July 26, 2017, 10:25:29 AM

Probably just in time for school

School starts August 15, so very possibly so.

bugo

AHTD really needs to decommission thousands of miles of state highway. There are numbered, state maintained highways on the system that simply end and turn into local roads. These are literally highways to nowhere as they don't end at a town or anything of significance, they just end at random locations. There is no reason for these roads to be state highways.

US71

Quote from: bugo on July 31, 2017, 05:30:52 AM
AHTD really needs to decommission thousands of miles of state highway. There are numbered, state maintained highways on the system that simply end and turn into local roads. These are literally highways to nowhere as they don't end at a town or anything of significance, they just end at random locations. There is no reason for these roads to be state highways.

ARDOT ;)

I've complained before about state maintained road to factories like AR 369/ Charcoal Plant Rd at Paris, AR or 285 which connects Woolly Hollow Park with US 65

They did decommission AR 180 Township Rd/Gregg Ave  AFTER they upgraded it.  They removed 180 Assembly Dr in Fayetteville and 156 east of Fayetteville.

I see no need to have upgraded AR 220 to Devils Den. IMO, the scenery is ruined.

217 at Waldron is another: it's just an airport access road.

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on July 31, 2017, 02:11:27 PM

217 at Waldron is another: it's just an airport access road.

What??? It wasn't numbered AR 980???  :-o :-o :paranoid: :paranoid:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.