News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Poor Sign Placement

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 24, 2012, 09:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

Quote from: SidS1045 on September 04, 2012, 10:59:57 AM
Quote from: vtk on September 02, 2012, 07:54:43 PMputting an "obey speed limit" sign before the first "speed limit" sign is poor placement.

Ohio has statutory limits which drivers are supposed to know and which apply in the absence of posted limits.  Lack of a sign is no excuse.

Page 206 at http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/30000/30100/30132/810826.pdf .

That argument only makes sense if a driver can easily identify the road as "residential".  In fact it looks a lot more like many other roads in the Columbus area that are "collectors" and have 35 MPH speed limits, which is probably why traffic is going so fast in the first place.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

vdeane

Quote from: Special K on September 04, 2012, 07:52:36 AM
Quote from: deanej on September 02, 2012, 05:24:50 PM
In St. Lawrence county there are a number of "bridge closed" signs for a bridge that hasn't been open for 40 years and won't be re-opening ever.

Seems like an accurate sign to me.
That bridge has been closed for 40 years and will remain closed for longer than the universe will continue to exist.  There is no reason any motorist should expect it to be open.  Those signs should just be replaced with dead end signs, because that's what it is (and the county should transfer the road to the town too...).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brian556

What were they smokin?

Dallas, Tx:

Road Hog

My first reaction to that photo was, "Damn, there's not much room for exiting traffic to get in the right lane."

Then I realized it's a photo made with a pretty long lens. On GSV there seems plenty of room to change lanes, although it's still kind of tight. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=regal+row+dallas+tx&hl=en&ll=32.836635,-96.875491&spn=0.000576,0.001206&hnear=Regal+Row,+Dallas,+Texas&gl=us&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=32.836517,-96.875495&panoid=d5PpXecnjaDgwicl5PXjxg&cbp=12,173.87,,0,1.5

As of 2008, the sign coming off the exit was different.

Brian556

QuoteThen I realized it's a photo made with a pretty long lens. On GSV there seems plenty of room to change lanes, although it's still kind of tight

What? That sign definitely does not belong there. It is meant to be used for exit only lanes on freeways. Notice that the right lane is an optional lane (straight or right), so the error is not even understandable. It appears to me that TxDot employees had their heads pretty far up their butts.

vtk

GSV also shows the correct sign in that location: LEFT LANE MUST TURN LEFT.  Which is more recent?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Kacie Jane

Most likely, some twit grabbed the wrong square sign out of their truck and installed it without reading it.  The wrong sign was up for a couple of days (weeks?) until someone reported it, and they sent out another truck to put the correct sign up.

(Doesn't look shopped to me.)

zorb58

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 02, 2012, 04:26:11 PM
Referring solely to the two sets of signs in the foreground, not the set of two over the ramp further back bearing the "Baltimore/Washington" and "Richmond" indicators. The signs in the rear were there first. Then they put up the other ones directly in front of them.

Not only are they terribly placed, but the layout and font of those signs in the front is particularly cringe worthy!

agentsteel53

how much of a zoom lens is that?  it looks like perspective is shrunk by a whole lot.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 14, 2012, 05:15:51 PM
how much of a zoom lens is that?  it looks like perspective is shrunk by a whole lot.

I have been through there a fair number of times (the perspective is indeed shrunk), and have not observed there to be a problem.  This image was snapped from the elevated section of westbound Va. 644 (Franconia Road) in Springfield.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadfro

Quote from: zorb58 on September 14, 2012, 05:15:00 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 02, 2012, 04:26:11 PM
Referring solely to the two sets of signs in the foreground, not the set of two over the ramp further back bearing the "Baltimore/Washington" and "Richmond" indicators. The signs in the rear were there first. Then they put up the other ones directly in front of them.

Not only are they terribly placed, but the layout and font of those signs in the front is particularly cringe worthy!

Although the MUTCD doesn't specify it, I thought the intent of these combination destination/lane use signs was to use them upstream of the intersection or decision point, not at the intersection like this.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

1995hoo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 14, 2012, 05:15:51 PM

iPhone camera, which explains why it's so blurry. I pulled over on the spur of the moment to take the picture. I see those signs all the time but it's hard to get a good picture if you're on the "local" lanes down below there. But that front row of signs is located very close in front of the second one. It's part of what makes it so poorly-placed.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Ian

Sadly, a telephone pole mixed with several other signs obscured this old and rare sign on A-10 in Richelieu, QC.

Thankfully, I was able to get this shot:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

mjb2002

This is in Aiken County. Notice that they still have the crossbuck there, even though the road is no longer in use.

http://goo.gl/maps/dGNPI

The last time I went to Aiken and North Augusta (in August), they still had that there!

Central Avenue

That seems less like poor sign placement and more like laziness in removing obsolete signs.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Alps

Brian556

Look at the green guide signs. SB I-35E Frontage Road at SH 121, Lewisville, TX

thenetwork

Quote from: Brian556 on October 05, 2012, 09:43:48 PM
Look at the green guide signs. SB I-35E Frontage Road at SH 121, Lewisville, TX

Reminds me of an incident about 7 years ago when CDOT screwed up 2 sets of curve signs on EB I-70 in Grand Junction, CO:

The first set (on either side of the shoulders) had the two curve signs pointing towards each other, while the second set had the two curve signs pointing away from each other. 

Before I had a chance to go by that stretch again w/ camera in tow, CDOT corrected the error.   :-(

By the way, what's with the "/" for DFW Airport when pretty much EVERYONE knows it simply as "DFW"   :pan:

Brian556

QuoteBy the way, what's with the "/" for DFW Airport when pretty much EVERYONE knows it simply as "DFW

it's because D/FW is short for "Dallas/Fort Worth" The slash is omitted on newer signs.

A rather humourous error occoured in Fort Worth several years ago. The slash was put in the wrong place, so the sign read "DF/W Airport". Made the sign maker look like a real "DF".

Ace10

There's a rather hilarious signing error on Griffin Rd immediately south of US 192 near Walt Disney World. Along this road in both directions I believe exists both a "Speed Limit 40" and a "Minimum Speed 40" sign. It's going to be extremely difficult to follow both at the same time.

Out of all the rare times I'm on that road, I usually do 50, hoping a cop would pull me over.

There's also an odd error on US 90 in Ocean Springs, MS. At a certain portion, southbound US 90's speed limit is 45, while the northbound direction's speed limit is 55. I'm debating on whether to call MDOT and ask them if there's a good reason why opposing directions of traffic are supposed to follow speed limits that differ by 10 mph.

CentralCAroadgeek

Road Hog

Who'd want to go to Los Banos anyway?  :sombrero:

agentsteel53

rather go there than shopping, wineries, or visitor info.  jury's out on downtown; probably similar to Los Banos.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.